Enjoy unlimited access to all forum features for FREE! Optional upgrade available for extra perks.
Domain summit 2024

closed please appraise

This thread has been closed by the original author or DNF staff member.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Domain summit 2024

draqon

Level 8
Legacy Platinum Member
Reaction score
i don't know much about computer hardware, but that name sounds like a trademark violation to me.

H

hosting3.com

no trademark with that name:)

by the way, I think, it's no problem to register a trademarked name. It will cost the company atleast $4k+ to get it.... it's always cheaper for them to buy it from you.... correct me if I am right

.... and thats exactly why domain speculators are treated the way they are.

draqon

Level 8
Legacy Platinum Member
Reaction score
well, in general you are right. it is generally cheaper just pay off a domain owner than to file a complaint with WIPO. But some companies will formally sue a person, just to discourage cybersquatting.

IPatlas

Level 6
Legacy Platinum Member
Reaction score
Once the trademark is registered, you will most probably get a letter (to the squatter) to cease and desist. I doubt the corporate lawyer charges $4k. I doubt a lawsuit is 100% warranted especially when the "squatter" sells or promotes products or services unrelated to the registrants service, or is not selling anything at all.

THis said, I currently own a domain in the (alas final) stages of service trademark registration by other parties. Any day now, I will not have the same rights on the underlying letter combo.

If you or anyone knows of a good strategy to SELL the domain to the future trademark registrants for a profit PLEASE let me KNOW!

IPatlas

Level 6
Legacy Platinum Member
Reaction score
Some more info on trademark registration in case you didn't know...

A trademark is not registered in one shot. It has to go through an established process. The party seeking to register the trademark must demostrate the manner in which the mark is used by them in service or trade. A waiting period is then openned for opposition (this is when you can file your opposing views ie why the trademark SHOULD not be reigistered by the certain party). The filing party must keep filing more paperwork staying up-to-date with correspondance and status changes.....It takes a while to get the trademark registration number ad there are more steps that those described.

Status
Not open for further replies.

The Rule #1

Do not insult any other member. Be polite and do business. Thank you!

Sedo - it.com Premiums

IT.com

Premium Members

AucDom
UKBackorder
Be a Squirrel
MariaBuy

New Threads

Our Mods' Businesses

UrlPick.com
Free QR Code Generator by MerchArts

*the exceptional businesses of our esteemed moderators