• Welcome to DNForum.com - Domain Investor Forum, Free Domain Marketplace and a community for 45+ domain pros
    If you are new to domains and looking to buy, sell and learn about domains then you have come to the right place. DNForum is the oldest global domain name community on the internet and continues to grow every day. There are over 45,000 domainers on DNForum doing everything from buying domains, selling domains, using our free in-house built tools, learning about domains and discussing domains. Take a minute and Register.

For Sale Private whois in .ca

Status
Not open for further replies.

theinvestor

Exclusive Lifetime Member
Legacy Gold Member
Joined
Nov 5, 2007
Messages
3,536
Reaction score
13
I haven't noticed anywhere...but is this possible to do in .ca's ?

I haven't seen the option anywhere.
 
I've seen .CA's with private whois, and i'm pretty sure Namespro.ca offers this. Who are you with?
 
I have a few domains with netfirms. But the majority are now with namespro. I didn't see the option.
 
NamesPro - last menu option in main menu on left when logged into your account.
 
Any privacy added will also be reflected in any names you have under the same CIRA registrant ID at other registrars as well.
 
domainsatcost.ca has the option to use privacy.ca
 
Razor, does that mean you can make an entire CIRA profile filled with domains private for the same cost?
 
Yes, if all of your domains were registered with the same CIRA registrant ID.

You can login to cira to see all of the names you have under a specific registrant or just do a whois on your names and look at the Registrant-no field.

The nice thing about namespro, is that they group your names by registrant. I think Sibername also lists your registrant # beside your domain name.
 
Thanks razor, appreciate the info. Any idea how much privacy costs? Seems like Canadians can get a cheap deal if it is all grouped.
 
NamesPro privacy costs $6.88 lifetime per registrant id
 
I thought that CIRA was instituting private whois for all .ca names this summer??

I'm not sure of that, but I think I read the entire registry will be switching to a default private whois (you can still contact owners through a private email forwarded to them by cira) to comply with Canada's privacy legislation.

Read that in the 10dollar.ca newsletter I think. Tentative launch date of that is June 08.
 
It's coming so unless you really need protection now - which still leaves your name(registrant) exposed - you can save money and get complete protection later.
 
Thanks for the info. Saves me a few dollars.
 
I just spoke with CIRA about this today. According to them, the changes are being implemented to comply with PIPEDA, Canada's privacy legislation. The changes only apply to individuals, so if your company has registered the domains, they are not affected, as corporations have no privacy rights. Under the changes, the name and contact details of the domain owner will not be displayed when doing a whois lookup. However, there apparently will be some sort of channel of communication via CIRA so that you can forward a message to the domain owner. The changes are supposed to be implemented June 10.
 
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom