• Welcome to DNForum.com - Domain Investor Forum, Free Domain Marketplace and a community for 45+ domain pros
    If you are new to domains and looking to buy, sell and learn about domains then you have come to the right place. DNForum is the oldest global domain name community on the internet and continues to grow every day. There are over 45,000 domainers on DNForum doing everything from buying domains, selling domains, using our free in-house built tools, learning about domains and discussing domains. Take a minute and Register.

Profitable Names

Status
Not open for further replies.

ck89102

New Member
Legacy Platinum Member
Joined
Mar 30, 2006
Messages
482
Reaction score
1
I'm just doing my own thing and been lucky to register many "earning" names on my own. I don't know what I'm doing but here are a few of my recent experiences:
Some of my best earning names are with .org & .net typos like lonlyplanet, myspase, rapadshare, pornacces.org & mappquest.org. I'm getting quite a bit of traffic with these - natural type-ins from overseas and the reg. fees have been quickly earned back. Other profitable names have been super long names that are community colleges & smaller trade schools, associations and hospitals. One international airport has been good also. I just have to be carefull they are not TM. But you gotta get lucky. I own californialosangeles (Google in quotes: 22,200,000) and I thought people might be looking for UCLA and type this in. Hey - it's worthless! Zero hits. Go figure.

Hope you find this stuff interesting.
My pleasure & thank you for reading.
Craig
 
thank you for sharing Craig

I agree with the .net/org, it has worked for me too, also my advice is:

www typos:

Register www typos (wwwdomain.com) of names onlyif they fulfill the following criteria:
1. have overture over 1,500 (the current overture scores are the ones of january)
2. In alexa traffic stats the site shows an upwards tendence since january

Separate keywords with DASH:

1. if the above criteria apply
2. if the domain does not consist of more than 2 (in rare cases 3) words

Invert keywords
only if it makes sense

Register the plural or singular version of the popular website/domain

Figure out potential phonetic typos

Example from my own portfolio: Popular website: nabolister.com , my typo: napolister.com

that's my 2c
 
keep the ideas coming guys!
 
I'd like it if more people wrote about their methods, nobody shares all his secrets, but a little sharing never hurts - we shouldnt forget how we started and the help/knowledge we received from the more experienced
 
I'm not sure what I'm doing but this has paid off
Using Google, look up the English speaking countries by population (you think you know but you don't!). Then look up the 500 most popular domains in each country.
Try them all with other extensions; try using all of Petros suggestions (plural/typo tips, etc.).
Register and watch the hits begin.

Disclaimer: Do stay away from TM and use common sense. This idea, while profitable, is really not the way to go if truth be told. For our forum, OK though.
 
Wonderful read ...even tho i havent reg any typos...ill test them out with the above methods.. ...thanks
 
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom