Enjoy unlimited access to all forum features for FREE! Optional upgrade available for extra perks.
Domain summit 2024

Question about Domain ownership during grace period

vnne99

Reaction score
I had a domain name that was expired and was in a 30 day grace period. I was told that during this time that my domain can be put up for auction and I could lose the domain if it's not renewed on the 31st day. But my domain was taken away before the 30 days were up. So my question is am I still the owner of that domain for the 30 day grace period or can it be taken away at any time during that period?

Domain summit 2024

Biggie

DNForum Moderator
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
Hi

check whois to see

but you should be able to renew if in redemption period

imo..

vnne99

Reaction score
The domain was already auctioned to another owner. So I didn't even get a chance to renew during the redemption period

Castion

Level 8
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
Depending on the registrar you can still renew even though it left your account. Quickly contact support and learn if its possible.. Once it leaves your account they will levy a redemption fee though.. Could be 100, could be 300.. Again depends on the registrar.

vnne99

Reaction score
It was namesilo. I contacted them and they told me it was auctioned off to somebody else. Apparentely they do auctions during the grace period, and if somebody bids before the redemption period starts then it goes to the new owner.

Biggie

DNForum Moderator
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
It was namesilo. I contacted them and they told me it was auctioned off to somebody else. Apparentely they do auctions during the grace period, and if somebody bids before the redemption period starts then it goes to the new owner.

check in your account and see do you have a header for "redemption" and "expired" to see if any names are there.

at some registrars, even if name is auctioned, if the domain is still in redemption and the redemption fee is paid before last date to pay,
then they will "claw" the name back to owner.

but all these registrars have different internal policies.

imo...

jaydub

Level 10
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
Namesilo will send you an email saying that your name (in grace period ) has received a bid.
You still have the opportunity to renew it until the date they tell you at regular rates.
Have had this happen several times.
I just go to my account and renew it if I want to keep it.

Maybe you missed the email.

The Rule #1

Do not insult any other member. Be polite and do business. Thank you!

Sedo - it.com Premiums

IT.com

Premium Members

AucDom
UKBackorder
Be a Squirrel
MariaBuy

New Threads

Our Mods' Businesses

Free QR Code Generator by MerchArts
UrlPick.com

*the exceptional businesses of our esteemed moderators