Enjoy unlimited access to all forum features for FREE! Optional upgrade available for extra perks.
Domain summit 2024

closed Question about Value of .INFO Domains

This thread has been closed by the original author or DNF staff member.
Status
Not open for further replies.

woeger

Level 5
Legacy Platinum Member
Reaction score
I have had a roller-coaster experience with some of the .INFO domains I had purchased back early on. I have a few that I believe are good .INFO domains, but I really don't know what they're worth (if anything).

As I am new to this forum, I was wondering if some of you would enlighten me about the value of the below domains I own, and also as to whether .INFO domains make a good investment in your opinion. I am trying for a few in Land Rush 2, but don't know if it will be worth my time and the money...

I would like an appraisal on the following 2 .INFO domains:

wwww.info and webhosts.info

Thanks in advance for educating me about the value (or lack thereof) of .INFO domain names!

Adam Woeger

Domain summit 2024

not sure about wwww.info, the keywords "web hosts" is ok(ish) though its mainly a matter of what you think of .info as an extension.

I've seen almost nothing in the way of .info names actually selling, though plenty of people will tell you its the new .com (though these people usually own quite a few themselves :D -I'll go hide now).

I think they are best seen as a very high risk buy.

woeger

Level 5
Legacy Platinum Member
Reaction score
snoopy,

Thanks for your reply. Yes, I also like "webhosts.info " as a high traffic potential keyword domain name. I was glad to get it during the first .INFO open land rush.

I also have not seen a lot of .INFO domains developed as "primary domains", rather they seem to be used a lot as "pointers" to exisiting .com/.net domain web sites. I hope this changes in the future, as I believe .INFO has a lot of potential.

I myself am going after about 9 domains in .INFO land rush 2, but I refuse to pay the high prices that some registrars are charging for Land Rush 2 (many with small queues to help ensure you get the domain). I just can't see bidding in an auction hundreds (or thousands) of dollars just to get an .INFO LR2 name. I only use registrars (like BulkRegister.com) who don't use a bidding model and charge only their basic registration fee (i.e. not an inflated registration fee).

Thanks for the input. Maybe I will get some more opinions from other people about the worth of .INFO domain names, especially the 2 I am considering selling now:

wwww.info and webhosts.info

Thanks again snoopy!

Adam

woeger

Level 5
Legacy Platinum Member
Reaction score
I just lowered my price on both these domains, based on the comments/feedback I got about the pricing on .INFO domains.

If anyone is interested, I have settled on $1,000.00 each for:

webhosts.info
wwww.info

Thanks again snoopy for your advice about .INFO domains.

Adam Woeger
woeger@usa.net

wwww

Level 4
Legacy Platinum Member
Reaction score
Originally posted by woeger
I just lowered my price on both these domains, based on the comments/feedback I got about the pricing on .INFO domains.

If anyone is interested, I have settled on $1,000.00 each for:

webhosts.info
wwww.info

T

why do you think that wwww.info might be worth 1000 bucks? :confused:

I own wwww.org and according to the appraisal on this forum its value was estimated at around 50 bucks...I don't think that .info has the better value than .org, it's merely the opposite!

just my two cents... :D

woeger

Level 5
Legacy Platinum Member
Reaction score
Well, for starters www.info is the home page for Afilias (the .INFO registry), so you get spill over from typos on that from people looking to register .INFO domain names. Plus, people sometimes type in wwww.info when looking for another www.something.info address. Also it would make a good search engine site, etc. (take off on the old World Wide Web Worm, WWWW, etc.). Just my 2 cents worth also.

Adam

wwww

Level 4
Legacy Platinum Member
Reaction score
Well, for starters www.info is the home page for Afilias (the .INFO registry), so you get spill over from typos on that from people looking to register .INFO domain names. Plus, people sometimes type in wwww.info when looking for another www.something.info address. Also it would make a good search engine site, etc. (take off on the old World Wide Web Worm, WWWW, etc.). Just my 2 cents worth also.

Adam

I know about that, it's completely equal with wwww.org.

Just do a search for wwww.org on the forum to see the appraisals for that name!

Now we are at 6 cents :D

uuallan

Level 3
Legacy Gold Member
Reaction score

I myself am going after about 9 domains in .INFO land rush 2, but I refuse to pay the high prices that some registrars are charging for Land Rush 2 (many with small queues to help ensure you get the domain). I just can't see bidding in an auction hundreds (or thousands) of dollars just to get an .INFO LR2 name. I only use registrars (like BulkRegister.com) who don't use a bidding model and charge only their basic registration fee (i.e. not an inflated registration fee).

Adam -- what is land rush 2?

woeger

Level 5
Legacy Platinum Member
Reaction score
uuallan,

To answer your question, the .INFO Land Rush 2 is going on now through sometime near the end of June or early July (I think it was extended from June 26th to July 2nd or so).

Many domain name registrars are offering this special set of about 17,000 repossessed .INFO domain names, many of which are very good generic .INFO domain names.

Policies vary at each registrar, so I advise you check out many of them on the participating registrar list on www.alifias.com under the Land Rush 2 section.

Some charge their normal domain fee if the domain is successfully registered in the round-robin based LR2 name awarding scheme. Other make you bid and the top bidder gets submitted, etc. Still others have an extremely short domain name queue to try and get you the domain, but you usually have to pay much higher $$$ to register .INFO Land Rush 2 names with them.

Hope this helps answer your question...

Adam

mole

DNF Addict
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
Since you got webhosts.info and not webhost.info, I guess you missed the launch bell or pre-reg game then.

Stellar .info names for the above would be

hosting.info

webhost.info

With .info, only the very best will make it past $1,000k.

woeger

Level 5
Legacy Platinum Member
Reaction score
Mole,

Actually I did get webhosts.info in the first launch round-robin. I did not particularly want webhost.info, as I thought the plural would be better for a directory of web hosts, where I could offer a directory of may web hosts using their affiliate program links.

My thinking is: that with the domain one could make more money off providing a review and listing of several web hosts, rather than just tieing yourself down to using only one web host, with the singular webhosts.info domain.

Am I correct in this thinking?

Adam

mole

DNF Addict
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
imo webhost.info would sound more authoritative. You are right that sometimes the s is better, and a logical choice for a webhost portal.

Its a toss. But eg. webcompany.info to me as a portal sounds just perfect imo - webagency.info, webconsultant.info. Dunno, sounds more authoritative than the plural version.

webbooks.info would be better than webbook.info. webjobs.info would be better than webjob.info

As a principle, however, I try to grab both the singular and plural :D

DomeBase

Old Timer
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
Hi folks,

I am new to this forum. I've been active on the ICANN new TLD forum and ICANNwatch and, in the past, Afternic. My homepage deals with .INFO issues. You may have seen the results of my DomeBase study on .INFO Sunrise period in press. Someone recommended that I join this forum to discuss .INFO issues. For the past couple months, I have been working on compiling and analyzing a list of working .INFO websites... and plan on posting the results (and releasing to the press) next week.

Couple questions:

1. I note that the instructions say that I should not promote my website. Is it OK to give the url, for example, for my homepage that includes the list of working .INFO sites so that folks here can look at it (and add suggestions if they wish?) . This would be an informational link... not trying to sell it.

2. Do you think it is OK to post the complete study results here at this forum (around 3-4 pages)?

Thanks. I look forward to participating with you folks here.

Sincerely, DomeBase

M

MattyP

Since you asked so nicely.

Just find the right forum and go for it.

Matt

Status
Not open for further replies.

The Rule #1

Do not insult any other member. Be polite and do business. Thank you!

Sedo - it.com Premiums

IT.com

Premium Members

AucDom
UKBackorder
Be a Squirrel
MariaBuy

New Threads

Our Mods' Businesses

UrlPick.com
Free QR Code Generator by MerchArts

*the exceptional businesses of our esteemed moderators