• Welcome to DNForum.com - Domain Investor Forum, Free Domain Marketplace and a community for 45+ domain pros
    If you are new to domains and looking to buy, sell and learn about domains then you have come to the right place. DNForum is the oldest global domain name community on the internet and continues to grow every day. There are over 45,000 domainers on DNForum doing everything from buying domains, selling domains, using our free in-house built tools, learning about domains and discussing domains. Take a minute and Register.

Question for all

Status
Not open for further replies.
that's whey I ended with Or, develop it into a real, long term site to make you lots of $$$.
 
Oh, good point :-)

Maybe I should read the entire post before replying, either way, its a good lesson so having it down twice isnt such a bad thing.
 
Interesting thread.

I reckon that only a few here will be making thousands of dollars a day. (since when was 50-100 a handful ;-) )


I'm making $3500 a month on PPC and maybe $3000 a month on sales.

But renewals are costing me $3000 plus a month and new acquisitions around $1500 a month.

I'm not a particularly sharp businessman, but I know enough to get by in the domain business.

My income has been steadily increasing since I started in 2000 (when I used to run at a loss)

I guess I can aim to increase income by around 10 to 20% a year.

I do this full time, having gradually given up my other work which paid me around $300 a month (in Peru).

Having a wife and two children means I can't spend all my money on domains!
 
Diversify, diversify. Even if you're making $XYZ today, things can change quickly, especially on the internet (witness Google down $50/share tonight). We've not seen a decline in domains for 5 or 6 years. Trees don't grow to the sky, so be careful if folks tell you otherwise.....they're probably looking for a sucker to sell something to. Invest some portion of your wealth in assets that are uncorrelated (or even negatively correlated) to the internet.
 
Jonathan said:
Goals are good. They can help you keep motivated, although it's hard when you don't see any $. It becomes a lot easier to be motivated when you start to see $ coming in.

My current goal is to be making 10k a month by June or July.


Jonathan; how is it your are making this money, please share. I'm not asking for private stuff but there's allot of generic info that might useful to someone like myself. Thanks mate.
 
nuts...

I was so close to shorting Google...with YPN and MSN entering the frey Google will have a tough time continuing to grow fast enough to impress investors
 
I wish I was one of those $xxxx per day PPC parkers. I am a mere $2xxx/mo. earner with my adsense and PPC. All of that money though comes from less than $6k outlay for the domains/sites.

I have learned not to love my names soo much that I dont get rid of them. Now domains that dont make me enough to cover reg. fee get dropped or sold.
An example is loves dot us. I cant remember but I think I got it in a package of 4 names for like $100. I loved it but I parted with it last week for $7xx. Last year I would have turned it down. That sale combined with another sale bought me a $1150 name at snap which is earning $2+/- per day and I have received 5 offers on it in less than 2 weeks. That is more than the other two names combined received in over a year.

Set goals as mentioned, Reinvest, keep a good inventory, let the junk drop or sell for whatever you can get.

Also find a niche you know something about and tackle it. That is the single biggest thing I did right.

GL
 
Good thread Acro
I am making 5 billion dollars a day with PPC on 4 names I bought at pool for 3k, so you had better take my advice if you want to be a fat and lazy rich bugger like me.
Because it is better to keep names for PPC income, here are some tips on how NOT to sell any domain names. I learnt all these tips here.
1. Use GoDaddy
2. Use an extension other than dot com for your sales web site.
3. Hide your names on your site amongst your competitors
4. Don't let anyone know the price you are asking for any your domains
5. If you do get a potential customer, make them fill out a form before they can communicate with you
6. Make sure none of your names are names of products that people buy
7. Never advertise a name for sale on any site that has too many visitors, like ebay
8. Don't post names for sale here on DNF more than once a month
9. Drop any name you can't sell after 1 year and register a new one, preferably a 3 character dot .us
10. Don't pay more than $2 a month for hosting and never check that your host actually works

Seriously though, all the best mate.
Regards
Joe Honan
 
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom