Enjoy unlimited access to all forum features for FREE! Optional upgrade available for extra perks.
Domain summit 2024

guide Quick checklist

This is a post intended to be a guide on how to use this section of the forum.
Reaction score
This is a quick list for people just entering the market. It is by no means definitive but it will help people with limited funds and knowledge to avoid costly mistakes generally. Mostly it refers to new registrations but it doesn't hurt to think about it with domains you are buying from a drop or other people.

Some things to consider:

1) Do I know what it means? (No - don't register)
2) Does it have a meaning that everyone will automatically know? (No - don't register)
3) How big is the market of potential buyers? (Less than 3 - don't register)
4) If it doesn't sell will I choose to develop it or likely let it drop? (Let it drop - don't register)
5) If I am going to develop it how will I develop it - how will it make money? (No idea - don't register)
6) Is the extension one that people have heard of and won't lose traffic due to people typing the term only in their browser bar? (No - be aware it will take marketing $ to just 'get on a level playing field')
7) Will it be possible to get a developed site in search engines? (No or unlikely - with no natural traffic, and most new registrations won't have any, don't register.)
8) Does it only have meaning because it uses a trademark domain/product to give it meaning? (Yes - don't register)
9) Does it have high estibot/godaddy/automated appraisals? (Most likely it will - totally IRRELEVANT - don't register only on this point)
10) Am I hand registering this domain - ie not from a drop or direct purchase (There is likely a reason it is available. It is VERY unlikely that any fresh registration has immediate value or it would have gone a long time ago. Warning sign but not necessarily a reason to pass over a domain.)

This list is my own personal opinion. If you are going for 'brandable' domains bear in mind there are tens of thousands (maybe more) of these types of domains and you really are just buying a lottery ticket that might pay off one day if someone decides they want your domain and not a registration fee alternative.

Last edited:
Domain summit 2024

Mr. Deleted

DNForum.com
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
If you are thinking of registering a .net or .org because the .com is for sale for 1000's of dollars, don't. There is probably a reason it is not sold yet, and also that same reason also is why the .net and .org are not registered yet.

Is it a 3-word .com? it may or may not be worth anything, first check if there is search volume before you proceed.

Elaakri

Level 1
Reaction score
Thank you very much! It's very helpful. Could you tell us about the best practice to find a good domain and to get a benefice.

Mr. Deleted

DNForum.com
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
Its getting harder and harder to find good names from marketplaces but it's not impossible. It is probable that you will be paying a good amount for them if you buy them in a marketplace setting, but if you know what you are looking for you can sometimes find gems.

juba

Level 2
Reaction score
Thank you for your insights about the domain world, we feel your experience. That's great!

If you think you know something, it is probably not true. I thought I knew, I am mistaken. I was wondering why it was so difficult to sell a domain. I've got my answer :)

FEWINDIA

Reaction score
This is a quick list for people just entering the market. It is by no means definitive but it will help people with limited funds and knowledge to avoid costly mistakes generally. Mostly it refers to new registrations but it doesn't hurt to think about it with domains you are buying from a drop or other people.

Some things to consider:

1) Do I know what it means? (No - don't register)
2) Does it have a meaning that everyone will automatically know? (No - don't register)
3) How big is the market of potential buyers? (Less than 3 - don't register)
4) If it doesn't sell will I choose to develop it or likely let it drop? (Let it drop - don't register)
5) If I am going to develop it how will I develop it - how will it make money? (No idea - don't register)
6) Is the extension one that people have heard of and won't lose traffic due to people typing the term only in their browser bar? (No - be aware it will take marketing $ to just 'get on a level playing field')
7) Will it be possible to get a developed site in search engines? (No or unlikely - with no natural traffic, and most new registrations won't have any, don't register.)
8) Does it only have meaning because it uses a trademark domain/product to give it meaning? (Yes - don't register)
9) Does it have high estibot/godaddy/automated appraisals? (Most likely it will - totally IRRELEVANT - don't register only on this point)
10) Am I hand registering this domain - ie not from a drop or direct purchase (There is likely a reason it is available. It is VERY unlikely that any fresh registration has immediate value or it would have gone a long time ago. Warning sign but not necessarily a reason to pass over a domain.)

This list is my own personal opinion. If you are going for 'brandable' domains bear in mind there are tens of thousands (maybe more) of these types of domains and you really are just buying a lottery ticket that might pay off one day if someone decides they want your domain and not a registration fee alternative.
Very nice article. Cheers!

Last edited by a moderator:

foukya46

Reaction score
very nice article

(edit: No links, if you do it again, you will be banned.)

Last edited by a moderator:

redfrog

Level 1
Reaction score
I wished I would have read this list 10 years ago, would have saved me a lot of money.... :-/

shahed_sajid

Level 4
Reaction score
Is it a 3-word .com? it may or may not be worth anything,
A meaningful 3-words domain sale isn't rare these days. It's 2021 now, and we have fewer two-words/short attractive domains to buy at a lower price on the market. You know, all the people can't afford to buy at high.

Avis1310

Level 2
Reaction score
It is really Good Article ,
DnForum will be great platform where seller get Good Knowledge. and Buyers also put their views what they exactly want.

thanks

The Rule #1

Do not insult any other member. Be polite and do business. Thank you!

Sedo - it.com Premiums

IT.com

Premium Members

AucDom
UKBackorder
Be a Squirrel
MariaBuy

New Threads

Our Mods' Businesses

Free QR Code Generator by MerchArts
UrlPick.com

*the exceptional businesses of our esteemed moderators