Enjoy unlimited access to all forum features for FREE! Optional upgrade available for extra perks.
Domain summit 2024

cctld Reached an agreement with an end-user…how long should I wait for payment?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Spex

Level 6
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
A few weeks ago I received an unsolicited email from an end-user asking if I would be interested in selling one of my domains. After a few replies, we agreed to a price and he emailed me on Friday Aug. 20 saying he would send the money early the following week. It has now been 10 days since I last heard from him.

Should I bother sending another email or would that make me look too needy?

The agreed price was $3xx, so it's not like I need the money, but it isn't a premium name and I was probably going to offer here for a low price or drop it at renewal time, so potentially selling it for a $250+ profit is definitely a bonus.

*Please note, I have had to send follow-ups before with this guy so maybe he was never serious about this in the first place, but now that he's promised to send money, I'm kind of in a rush to complete the sale.

jaydub

Level 10
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
Sounds like a bit of a time waster to me and I can't stand that. But if you have the time to ride it out ...why not I guess.
Not knowing the whole situation...I probably would have just sent an "Offer valid until 8/24/2010 then withdrawn. Good luck with your search" ...and moved on.

Good luck with the sale
j

A few weeks ago I received an unsolicited email from an end-user asking if I would be interested in selling one of my domains. After a few replies, we agreed to a price and he emailed me on Friday Aug. 20 saying he would send the money early the following week. It has now been 10 days since I last heard from him.

Should I bother sending another email or would that make me look too needy?

The agreed price was $3xx, so it's not like I need the money, but it isn't a premium name and I was probably going to offer here for a low price or drop it at renewal time, so potentially selling it for a $250+ profit is definitely a bonus.

*Please note, I have had to send follow-ups before with this guy so maybe he was never serious about this in the first place, but now that he's promised to send money, I'm kind of in a rush to complete the sale.

Johnn

Administrator
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
End users normally are not in a hurry to buy or complete the transaction like reseller.
Be patient and send email to remind and ask if they are still interested.
I had some transactions that took months in the past. Beside you have nothing to lose so be patient and don't upset them.

Good luck!

theinvestor

Exclusive Lifetime Member
Legacy Gold Member
Reaction score
I don't think i've ever had a smooth transaction with an end user. They all seem to be painfully long.

There are some that seem to disappear, but i wouldn't worry about it and just move on quickly.

Spex

Level 6
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
Thanks for the great replies (and PMs)

I just sent him a friendly follow up, but I included today's date, date of the last email and the phrase "honor the agreement" to gently drive the point home.

We'll see how that goes

Maxwell

Formerly known as grcorp.
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
If you want to be a little more on the assertive side, try sending him a paypal invoice for the amount mentioning the sale of the domain name in the description, so the contract is created (funds in exchange for domain name), and the ball is then in his court, pending his payment.

Spex

Level 6
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
That's a good idea. I'll wait and see if he replies before I explore that option though

Spex

Level 6
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
No, I made it clear to him that I will only accept the transfer once the payment has been received.

tm3500

DNF Regular
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
Takeaway... you might put off a small percentage of end users but either way you'll know where you stand...

Hi there,

I just received another offer for xxxxxx.com and I'm considering my options.

Please contact me at your earliest convenience to let me know your intentions regarding this purchase.

Spex

Level 6
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
I guess another friendly reminder was all that was needed. He sent the payment and I accepted the transfer just a few minutes ago.

msn

Level 8
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
I don't think i've ever had a smooth transaction with an end user. They all seem to be painfully long.

There are some that seem to disappear, but i wouldn't worry about it and just move on quickly.

We have had the opposite experience.

Last edited:

jaydub

Level 10
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
:eek:k:
I guess another friendly reminder was all that was needed. He sent the payment and I accepted the transfer just a few minutes ago.

afloat.com

Level 8
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
Takeaway... you might put off a small percentage of end users but either way you'll know where you stand...

Hi there,

I just received another offer for xxxxxx.com and I'm considering my options.

Please contact me at your earliest convenience to let me know your intentions regarding this purchase.

That would come across as a bit needy if I was the end user..

Wzhxvy

Level 5
Legacy Gold Member
Reaction score
We have had the opposite experience.

Well MSN when you are giving the domains away, I am sure its a smooth experience for the buyer :)

msn

Level 8
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
Well MSN when you are giving the domains away, I am sure its a smooth experience for the buyer :)

Give? :?: What is this give thing??? :lol:

Maxwell

Formerly known as grcorp.
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score

"Smooth experience"? Are you sure you're in the right forum? This is the .ca ccTLD section - such words accurately describe nothing when dealing in .ca's. :lol:

msn

Level 8
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
We did a transfer yesterday, all during the time the client was on our call , which included billing, payment, the registrar initiated transfer request, our CIRA approval and the inbound approval by our client, all in under 20 minutes.

jaydub

Level 10
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
I have done this several times with buyers as well msn...it makes for a fast and stress free transaction for buyers unfamiliar with the system to talk them through it rather than a slew of emails. And I tell them that they can have the name in their control in half an hour and that usually makes them happy.
The part that is really the most confusing, imho, is at the end when the buyer has to log in to their CIRA account and accept the name.
I personally find the movement of names pretty straight forward having done it hundreds of times....although I won't say it couldn't be more streamlined.;):)

We did a transfer yesterday, all during the time the client was on our call , which included billing, payment, the registrar initiated transfer request, our CIRA approval and the inbound approval by our client, all in under 20 minutes.

msn

Level 8
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
I have done this several times with buyers as well msn...it makes for a fast and stress free transaction for buyers unfamiliar with the system to talk them through it rather than a slew of emails. And I tell them that they can have the name in their control in half an hour and that usually makes them happy.
The part that is really the most confusing, imho, is at the end when the buyer has to log in to their CIRA account and accept the name.
I personally find the movement of names pretty straight forward having done it hundreds of times....although I won't say it couldn't be more streamlined.;):)

So then what is it that everyone else is doing wrong?

Status
Not open for further replies.

The Rule #1

Do not insult any other member. Be polite and do business. Thank you!

Sedo - it.com Premiums

IT.com

Premium Members

AucDom
UKBackorder
Be a Squirrel
MariaBuy

New Threads

Our Mods' Businesses

UrlPick.com
URL Shortener

*the exceptional businesses of our esteemed moderators