Enjoy unlimited access to all forum features for FREE! Optional upgrade available for extra perks.
Domain summit 2024

recovering stolen names via WIPO

Status
Not open for further replies.

draqon

Level 8
Legacy Platinum Member
Reaction score
hi,

i was hoping that the lawyers or knowledgable parties on the forum could help me with a quick legal question. Is the use of WIPO an effective or reliable method to recover domains that were fraudulently stolen? For example, if i own xyz.com, and someone steals it, can I WIPO them and argue bad faith?

I think Mr. Berryhill cited this decision below, but Im not sure if it is just an anomaly or typical of WIPO decisions.

http://www.disputes.org/eresolution/decisions/0343.htm

jberryhill

Philadelphia Lawyer
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
It is an anomaly. If you did not have a trademark, then by the terms of the UDRP, you should not win.

(and please apply the usual dnforum disclaimer that I said "trademark", not "registered trademark" - registration is NOT necessary to have a trademark)

pljones

Level 4
Legacy Platinum Member
Reaction score
If your domain name isn't identical to a famous mark, the best suggestion in a case like this is to follow the Sex.com case and take the action to federal court. If you file an in personam case, you can get statutory damages and attorneys fees.

Status
Not open for further replies.

The Rule #1

Do not insult any other member. Be polite and do business. Thank you!

Sedo - it.com Premiums

IT.com

Premium Members

AucDom
UKBackorder
Be a Squirrel
MariaBuy

Our Mods' Businesses

UrlPick.com
URL Shortener

*the exceptional businesses of our esteemed moderators

Top Bottom