Enjoy unlimited access to all forum features for FREE! Optional upgrade available for extra perks.
Domain summit 2024

Redemption Grace Period Hell

Status
Not open for further replies.

Domain

Level 4
Legacy Platinum Member
Reaction score
This is a strange story:
http://www.icannwatch.org/article.pl?sid=03/02/16/2054249&mode=thread

I surely hope that this isn't a sign of how the Redemption Grace Period will work!

One thing I don't understand is why the Host would suspend the account?
"Because of my nagging, and pressure from bulkregister, hostrocket.com doesn't want to make waves and Graham, the manager, has "suspended" my account at the hosting company" Why would a host suspend the account? Couldn't be because the name is in a Redemption Grace Period. That wouldn't make sense.

V - Whats up with the signature below? - V

clemzonguy

Domain Addict
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
Well this is one reason I think that a lot of people will choose not to renew their domains instead of paying the high redemption fees. This fee is more than dropwizard or snap slots. And some names aren't even worth those fees to begin with. It would seem that it would be in the best interest of a registrar to put the name into the redemption period ASAP in order to collect more money should they choose to renew it. Some may choose to keep them on-hold indefinetely or even usurp ownership of the domain as has happend with two of mine.

Even more I think a lot of people who are not keeping up with domain news will think they can drop the domain and then just re--register it later. Little do they know it won't be around when they try this.

(As far as the signature goes the VBcode appears to be disabled unless you pay money. It's a known fact people who visit webpages do not donate money or pay jack. It's human nature to want to get everything for free.)

Domain

Level 4
Legacy Platinum Member
Reaction score
Originally posted by clemzonguy
(As far as the signature goes the VBcode appears to be disabled unless you pay money. It's a known fact people who visit webpages do not donate money or pay jack. It's human nature to want to get everything for free.)

Where is this mentioned and when did this start?
Thanks

DropWizard.com

Level 8
Legacy Platinum Member
Reaction score
This is precisely the problem by the time versign extorts a previously unmentioned $85 fee and the registrar adds their portion on top the cost will be astronomical.

Once the domain goes into the redemption period it can only be moved out like this. The registrar contacts versign who will move it into the pending restore code for 7 days. The registrar has the 7 days to send in the "necessary" paperwork to restore the domain. If not received by the end of 7 days it goes back into the redemption period.

Of course this poor little brain of mine can't figure out why the powers that be didn't simply require the registrar to hold the domain for 60 days and then delete it......... and avoid all this BS.

Ahhh too simple and verisign wouldn't get its extortion money.

Nexus

DNF Addict
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
Originally posted by Domain
Why would a host suspend the account? Couldn't be because the name is in a Redemption Grace Period. That wouldn't make sense.

Because it is their perogative. If a particular problem is out of their hands, and (the next statement is hypothetical) a customer insists that his/her patronage and payments entitle them to a resolution as long as that relationship is in affect... it is conceivable that a host provider may elect to suspend that customer, rather than provide unsatisfactory service (charging for that which is not being provided to the customer's lowest satisfaction). Depending on the relationship between the registrar (BulkRegister) and the host provider (HostRocket), there may be less culpability in this event than a customer may vigorously assert.

Originally posted by Domain
Where is this mentioned and when did this start?
Thanks

Where have YOU been and why don't you know this? :D

Do a search for "Platinum Membership". Assume unwritten "perks" exist in all the levels.

~ Nexus

Status
Not open for further replies.

The Rule #1

Do not insult any other member. Be polite and do business. Thank you!

Sedo - it.com Premiums

IT.com

Premium Members

AucDom
UKBackorder
Be a Squirrel
MariaBuy

Our Mods' Businesses

UrlPick.com
URL Shortener

*the exceptional businesses of our esteemed moderators

Top Bottom