Enjoy unlimited access to all forum features for FREE! Optional upgrade available for extra perks.
NDD Camp 2024

Register.com Scam

Status
Not open for further replies.

crabby

Level 3
Legacy Gold Member
Reaction score
Register.com has a great scam going. They'll allow you to register (pay for) a 2 year registration for REGISTRAR.INFO, even though it is reserved by Afilias. Of course the name will not show up in your account, but your money will only be refunded if you call and request a refund. What a scam. Even after I alerted them, the name still shows "available" at Registrar.com.

DotDuDe

Level 4
Legacy Platinum Member
Reaction score
do a credit charge back.. it will hurt them more :)

com

Level 8
Legacy Platinum Member
Reaction score

crabby

Level 3
Legacy Gold Member
Reaction score
Originally posted by clemzonguy
My question is..... why are you registering names at Register.com (no offense).

Good question. No other registrar showed the domain name REGISTRAR.INFO available. Register.com was the only one showing it available. I knew it couldn't be possible, but I thought I'd test their system .... who knows ... if Afilias AND Register both f-ck up at the same time, I could have a nice domain due to their stupidity.

To Register.com's credit, they did get me the following domains during the .info Landrush:
avionics.info
vfr.info
cpk.info

Otherwise, they suck.

DataSN.com

Level 4
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
For people who are considering them, I've got something new. Well probably not new but I just found it out myself how Register.com is a SCAM.

I registered a .com with them a couple months ago at a bargain price of $3.95 (or so) and when I learned the renewal price for the next year was like $38 / year, I said to myself, woahh, what an idiot must I had been registering a name with them??!! The next thing I found myself doing is trying to get an auth code so I could transfer it to another registrar. And guess what. Unlike all (probably) other registrars that instantly sends you the transfer auth code upon request, they only promise they'd review your request in 7 days.

And they declined my request for the auth code. For the full story, please see this post.

Now that it's a pain to transfer away, I want to leave it un-renewed, so I tried to find the option to turn off auto-renew but I couldn't. See this image: http://postimage.org/image/apnugi0f9/

Seems to me it's virtually impossible to turn off their auto-renew because there's no 'No' option and the 'Update' button is unclickable.

Does anybody know how I can turn the auto-renew off at Register.com?

Last edited:

silentg

Level 8
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
Some registrars give you a discount on domain and you'll have to keep the domain with them for more than a year. Did you read the terms before registering the domain? It's pretty shady and ICANN won't do anything. ICANN is too busy partying with the GTLD money.

katherine

Country hopper
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
It's very typical from register.com to deny auth codes. Try again later, or phone them.
Also make sure you didn't benefit from a special price with added restrictions.

Theo

Account Terminated
Reaction score
The single instance I had to move a domain away from Register.com the request was denied based on security concerns blah blah. The problem was resolved when I called.

Onward

Level 9
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
I now can proudly say I have no names with Register.com...it is the most domainer unfriendly registrar in existence....additionally when a name drops on their platform..they will either keep the name or actively bid on the drop against you on NameJet - if you are the only one in - NameJet allows them to do this.

I am really surprised to see that they are the lead sponsor for DNForum....as IMO they will harm everyone who gets taken advantage of with their $2.50 offer.

katherine

Country hopper
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
Their customer retention tactics make Godaddy look like a domainer friendly registrar.

Vincent

Level 7
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
For people who are considering them, I've got something new. Well probably not new but I just found it out myself how Register.com is a SCAM.

I registered a .com with them a couple months ago at a bargain price of $3.95 (or so) and when I learned the renewal price for the next year was like $38 / year, I said to myself, woahh, what an idiot must I had been registering a name with them??!! The next thing I found myself doing is trying to get an auth code so I could transfer it to another registrar. And guess what. Unlike all (probably) other registrars that instantly sends you the transfer auth code upon request, they only promise they'd review your request in 7 days.

And they declined my request for the auth code. For the full story, please see this post.

Now that it's a pain to transfer away, I want to leave it un-renewed, so I tried to find the option to turn off auto-renew but I couldn't. See this image: http://postimage.org/image/apnugi0f9/

Seems to me it's virtually impossible to turn off their auto-renew because there's no 'No' option and the 'Update' button is unclickable.

Does anybody know how I can turn the auto-renew off at Register.com?

To turn off auto renewal, you have to call the company up and ask them to take it off. It's a pain, but their explanation is that some people forget to renew their names, so when the time comes they lose the domains. The bottom line is they want to make money off you. Call them and tell them to set the renewal to manual.

enomcentral is even worse. When someone pushes a name to your account, it doesn't notify you. Then, when your name expires, it doesn't notify you either. and the renwal fee is $34? Rip off, just like Register.

katherine

Country hopper
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
Rip off, just like Register.
Enom has that pricing in place so as not to compete with their many resellers. Register.com is a different beast, their target is small businesses.

Onward

Level 9
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
Enom is pretty bad, but not a close second to Register.com. If you are a reseller with enom - you are fine. otherwise, enom is a terrible registrar to be with....but Register.com is far worse.

Onward

Level 9
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
I kind of get sick when I see the "Register.com" Ad on the top of the forum. I strongly urge members not to get sucked in by the "2.50" domain name - it will cost you 20x that IMO. I really cannot come up with a more domainer unfriendly registrar than register.com.

katherine

Country hopper
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
Just noticed that the thread is 9 years old lol

Tia Wood

Web Developer
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
I guess not much has changed.

Status
Not open for further replies.

The Rule #1

Do not insult any other member. Be polite and do business. Thank you!

Sedo - it.com Premiums

IT.com

Premium Members

AucDom
UKBackorder
Be a Squirrel
MariaBuy

New Threads

Our Mods' Businesses

UrlPick.com
URL Shortener

*the exceptional businesses of our esteemed moderators