Enjoy unlimited access to all forum features for FREE! Optional upgrade available for extra perks.
Domain summit 2024

Register US domains living outside the US

Status
Not open for further replies.

noelius

Level 5
Legacy Platinum Member
Reaction score
Thank you, it can be an option, and I can even use it to offer other services online, just like I wanted to do. However it's good only if I want to buy enough domains. In any case, I will consider that option. Any other suggestion?

comfyjeans

Level 1
Legacy Platinum Member
Reaction score
A bunch of people who don't live in the U.S. have dotUS names.
They don't have a U.S. inc
You just lie on your application. Neustar doesn't even check.
They don't even care when someone brings it to their attention.
Nobody really cares. Neustar is just happy to have a .US customer.

ChuckNights

Level 5
Legacy Platinum Member
Reaction score
I'm a Canadian and proud owner of Nibiru.us... You will all hear of Nibiru in the coming years.. So ya it is possible for non-Americans to have .us domains

westcoaster

Level 4
Legacy Platinum Member
Reaction score
I went to go daddy and it wanted to know if I am US citizen etc etc., so I didn't register. I went to my fav Canadian registrar and I didn't even get asked, so I registered. Now have a few .US

Jessica320

Level 4
Legacy Platinum Member
Reaction score
I registered cheapsupplements.us (contact me if interested) without a hassle at Name.com and I am not an American citizen. I just picked the option that says I must own a business or engaged in a corporation established in the US because I do have American clients due to the nature of my work.

I could buy products made in the US and sell it elsewhere in Europe or Asia, so I guess it's the same concept.

Last edited:

.tv

Level 4
Legacy Platinum Member
Reaction score
A bunch of people who don't live in the U.S. have dotUS names.
They don't have a U.S. inc
You just lie on your application. Neustar doesn't even check.
They don't even care when someone brings it to their attention.
Nobody really cares. Neustar is just happy to have a .US customer.

Wrong advice. :undecided:

Neustar is spot checking and deleting .us registrations which do not fulfill the Nexus requirements.

One of my friends had 2 .US names, and both of them were removed by Neustar due to non-fulfillment of local presence requirement.

Dear <name>,

As you may be aware, in November 2001, the United States Department of Commerce ("DOC") selected NeuStar, Inc. ("NeuStar") to be the Administrator of the .US top-level domain ("usTLD"), the official top-level domain for the United States of America. As Administrator of the usTLD, NeuStar has agreed to perform random "spot checks" on registrations in the usTLD to endure that they comply with the usTLD Nexus Requirements which can be found at http://www.neustar.us/policies/docs/ustld_nexus_requirements.pdf

Our records indicate that you are the registrant of the domain name __________.us and __________.us

On March xx, 2xxx, these domain names were selected for Nexus revalidation and confirmation. According to the information you provided with your registration of these Domain Names, you indicated that you qualify under:

Category 1 - You are a US citizen or permanent resident

As part of our verification process, we ask that you provide to us by no later than ten (10) days after the date set forth above, a written response describing how you qualify under the above Nexus category.

In addition, please verify that the name-servers that you have selected to use are also physically located within the United States as required by the Nexus Requirements.

In some instances, we may request additional documentary evidence from you to demonstrate that you meet the Nexus requirements.

You should be aware that if you either (i) do not respond within the ten (10) days, or (ii) are unable to adequately explain or demonstrate through documentary evidence that you meet any of the Nexus Requirements, NeuStar may issue a finding that your entity or organization has failed to meet the Nexus Requirements. Upon such a finding, you will then be given a total of ten (10) days to cure the US Nexus deficiency. If you are able to demonstrate within ten (10) days that your entity or organization has remedied such deficiency, you will be allowed to keep the domain name. If, however, you either (i) do not respond within the ten (10) days of such a finding of noncompliance, or (ii) are unable to proffer evidence demonstration compliance with the Nexus Requirements, the domain name registration will be deleted from the registry database without refund, and the domain name will be placed into the list of available domain names.

Thank you for your cooperation in this matter. Please let us know if you have any questions.

Kind Regards,
.US Customer Support

NeuStar
.US America's Internet Address
Email: [email protected]
Address: Loudoun Tech Center
46000 Center Oak Plaza
Sterling, VA 20166 USA
Web Site: www.neustar.us

To read more about a similar case, have a look at: http://blog.bigsmoke.us/2007/07/20/crackdown-on-my-dot-us-infiltration-attempt

If anyone from non-U.S really interested in registering .US names, I would suggest you to form a company, rather than give false information during a .US registration process.

Last edited:

comfyjeans

Level 1
Legacy Platinum Member
Reaction score
SEX.US
One of the most valuable names in the .us namespace.

Do a whois and you will find them to have an Oregon LLC.
Registrant Application Purpose: P1
Registrant Nexus Category: C21
Administrative Contact ID: EL62961
Administrative Contact Name: eProperty LLC
Administrative Contact Organization: eProperty LLC, an Oregon Limited Liability
Company
Administrative Contact Address1: Level 17, 126 Vincent Street
Administrative Contact Address2: PO Box 5033
Administrative Contact City: Auckland
Administrative Contact Postal Code: n/a
Administrative Contact Country: New Zealand
Administrative Contact Country Code: NZ
Administrative Contact Phone Number: +1.2062030797
Administrative Contact Facsimile Number: +1.2062030797
Administrative Contact Email:

Then go here.
http://egov.sos.state.or.us/br/pkg_web_name_srch_inq.show_detl?p_be_rsn=928844&p_srce=BR_INQ&p_print=FALSE

.tv

Level 4
Legacy Platinum Member
Reaction score
SEX.US
One of the most valuable names in the .us namespace.

Do a whois and you will find them to have an Oregon LLC.

Registrant Application Purpose: P1
Registrant Nexus Category: C21
Administrative Contact ID: EL62961
Administrative Contact Name: eProperty LLC
Administrative Contact Organization: eProperty LLC, an Oregon Limited Liability
Company
Administrative Contact Address1: Level 17, 126 Vincent Street
Administrative Contact Address2: PO Box 5033
Administrative Contact City: Auckland
Administrative Contact Postal Code: n/a
Administrative Contact Country: New Zealand
Administrative Contact Country Code: NZ
Administrative Contact Phone Number: +1.2062030797
Administrative Contact Facsimile Number: +1.2062030797
Administrative Contact Email:
Then go here.
http://egov.sos.state.or.us/br/pkg_...l?p_be_rsn=928844&p_srce=BR_INQ&p_print=FALSE

They have not yet been noticed by Neustar, and Neustar may delete this name for non-compliance at any time during a spot-check.

Here's the bitter story of video.us

Two previous owners lost big bucks after buying Video.us only to see the registry delete the domain for Nexus/WhoIs violations. Now we will see if the third time is the charm for this star-crossed domain. The story began in April 2007 when a European company bought the domain from its American owner for $75,000 (the highest reported price for a .us domain to date).

10 months later, someone alerted the registry to the fact that the contact information in the WhoIs record was no longer valid.

The .us registry, Neustar, responded by deleting the domain which was then caught and auctioned off by Pool.com in February 2008. The previous owner lost their $75,000 investment and the new owner, based in Luxembourg, paid just $18,500 to win the Pool auction and gain control of the domain. But they ran afoul of the registry too.

Citing Nexus requirements that .us domains be owned by a U.S. citizen or someone with a business presence in the U.S., Video.us was deleted still again, only to be caught again Monday, this time by Galcomm.com. They too auctioned the domain off.

(Posted:
July 15, 2008) - Source: DN Journal

Last edited:

Irish31

Level 7
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
Anyone know how to go about forming a .US corporation? I am interested in owning a few .US and would like to play by the rules.

Thanks

Status
Not open for further replies.

The Rule #1

Do not insult any other member. Be polite and do business. Thank you!

Sedo - it.com Premiums

IT.com

Premium Members

AucDom
UKBackorder
Be a Squirrel
MariaBuy

New Threads

Our Mods' Businesses

UrlPick.com
URL Shortener

*the exceptional businesses of our esteemed moderators