Enjoy unlimited access to all forum features for FREE! Optional upgrade available for extra perks.
Domain summit 2024

registrar won't renew my domain

TomAlciere

Level 1
Legacy Gold Member
Reaction score
One domain is making me decent money, but people see stuff on there they don't like and they complain to the registrar. This is causing me worry because another registrar that handles a very controversial domain also says they will decline it. This is a form of internet censorship because if you see something you don't like, and it is perfectly legal, then you make a complaint and force the registrar to incur the expense of handling the complaint. What are my options? Also, I am afraid to ask, if a registrar does shut down a domain, do they have to let me transfer it to another registrar if I can find one?

The notice says:
Unfortunately, your account has had too high a volume of complaints for us. This is a costly process and is uncommon of our customer base. We have therefore decided we can no longer provide service for this account. You will no longer be able to place orders on your account including for purchases or renewals.

You'll want to be sure to transfer any domains in your account, prior to their expiration date, to another registrar by following the instructions at https://www [redacted]

While we're not immediately taking any action to take offline any domains in your account, we encourage you to transfer your domains to another registrar as soon as possible. Any time remaining on your registrations will transfer over to them.

If you need any further assistance, don't hesitate to contact us.

Domain summit 2024

jaydub

Level 10
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
From what I see they are asking you to transfer them away as soon as possible or before they expire.
They must be quite upset with you but are giving you an out....might be a good idea to take it as they aren’t going to allow you to renew or register going by what they said.

MapleDots

Level 5
Legacy Gold Member
Reaction score
From what I see they are asking you to transfer them away as soon as possible or before they expire.
They must be quite upset with you but are giving you an out....might be a good idea to take it as they aren’t going to allow you to renew or register going by what they said.

Registrar Name?

Why do I ask?

Seems like they are a decent bunch giving you ample time to make other arrangements.

Would love to know what domain is causing such an uproar o_O

Tia Wood

Web Developer
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
Transfer it out if you can. How many domains are there?

TomAlciere

Level 1
Legacy Gold Member
Reaction score
People see perfectly legal stuff on there which they don't like, and they complain to the domain registrar. This makes the registrar incur costs, which is an effective form of internet censorship, more effective than a DDoS attack if the registrar can be pushed to shut down a domain. I have 38 domains with them and 3 are getting complaints. Two of them, I can easily move but one has a majority of my personal income riding on it!

Castion

Level 8
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
You an always move to Epik.com.. They will take pretty much anything

MapleDots

Level 5
Legacy Gold Member
Reaction score
People see perfectly legal stuff on there which they don't like, and they complain to the domain registrar. This makes the registrar incur costs, which is an effective form of internet censorship, more effective than a DDoS attack if the registrar can be pushed to shut down a domain. I have 38 domains with them and 3 are getting complaints. Two of them, I can easily move but one has a majority of my personal income riding on it!

A registrar change does not really affect your ability to make money on a site, it's pretty painless to switch. Minimal issues nowadays, goes pretty smooth even on live sites.

TomAlciere

Level 1
Legacy Gold Member
Reaction score

Thank you! I just chatted with Epik and they said:

We take action only if the site violates our TOS or when we get a court order

Again we notify the registrant before we take any action

...so I am seriously considering them. Also, the hosting company has hosted the site for years so maybe I should consider them.
The current registrar technically has not done anything wrong. The deal was until the domain expiration date and they won't RENEW after that. It's like when a lease expires, they can throw you out.

TomAlciere

Level 1
Legacy Gold Member
Reaction score

I want you to know that I read up a little more, including the epic.com website and wikipedia and that is the one I chose. Thank you again.

The Rule #1

Do not insult any other member. Be polite and do business. Thank you!

Sedo - it.com Premiums

IT.com

Premium Members

AucDom
UKBackorder
Be a Squirrel
MariaBuy

New Threads

Our Mods' Businesses

Free QR Code Generator by MerchArts
UrlPick.com

*the exceptional businesses of our esteemed moderators