Enjoy unlimited access to all forum features for FREE! Optional upgrade available for extra perks.
NDD Camp 2024

moniker Registration hassles at Moniker

This is a discussion about the domain name register/company Moniker.
Status
Not open for further replies.

randomo

DNF Addict
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
Ever since Moniker revamped its interface, I've found it very frustrating to register domains there.

Usually, I want to register just one version of a domain. But when I type it in the search box - even if I add the desired extension - the results show a large number of extensions, and I have to manually un-check all the ones I don't want.

Multiply that by however many domains I am regging, and it can easily become a serious hassle that I go out of my way to avoid (by using another registrar). Moniker's old system may have been less "pretty," but it was a lot more efficient, which is what matters.

Anybody else feel the same way about their registration interface?

jrzeygirl

Best Customer Support
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
Ever since Moniker revamped its interface, I've found it very frustrating to register domains there.

Usually, I want to register just one version of a domain. But when I type it in the search box - even if I add the desired extension - the results show a large number of extensions, and I have to manually un-check all the ones I don't want.

Multiply that by however many domains I am regging, and it can easily become a serious hassle that I go out of my way to avoid (by using another registrar). Moniker's old system may have been less "pretty," but it was a lot more efficient, which is what matters.

Anybody else feel the same way about their registration interface?

Dave – as we discussed this morning, I do apologize for any inconvenience this may cause you. I too find it frustrating. As I mentioned, I have brought it up to the product management team to see if we can get it switched back to the way it was prior to launching the new interface. Fingers crossed!

Happy Holidays!

randomo

DNF Addict
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
Thanks, Bari - I appreciated your input, but just started this thread to emphasize to Moniker management how much we domainers prefer to use registrars whose websites work sensibly. I have spent a fantastic amount of money at Moniker over the past 4 years, and that stream is in danger of drying up.

Cheers,
Dave

David G

Internet Entrepreneur
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
Generally speaking I now like the new site overall. With that said, I have the same annoying and time wasting issue, in needing to uncheck them all even though most all the time I only want the .org or .com

Still another oddity is the order of the extensions are arranged randomly with each search you do. Kind of odd and a bit confusing vs the old system where they were listed in a sensible extension order.

The old system was also better as far as Whois goes where if name was taken there was a link right next to it for quickly checking the whois, without extra work. That is gone and now requires going to the page top Whois and retyping the domain.

ksinclair

Level 9
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
I dislike the new site because it was designed to be pretty before being useful. this is a 'corporate' thing, to make people higher up think its an improvement. Its more of a side-step than moving forward. I will put a few points, if anyone is listening?

First, you have to scroll down to do almost anything; that is ridiculous. why scroll constantly? Just put it all on the first screen. The screen real estate is badly wasted in this UI; its basic not to do that. the only scrolling ought to be if you have a long list of domains.

The check box thing that the OP mentioned, for when buying domains is bizarre, really. It makes no sense. why force more TLD's on us? I mean, this is not Godaddy after all.

And since different people have different habits and interests, it ought to be configurable what your defaults are - there are certain extensions I would lik to check all the time. this is too much clicking right now, each and every time. Let us set some defaults for this, just like we can set a default dns now.

URL Forwarding has a lot of clicking, and a cart with a 0$ charge but you force us through the cart; over and over again. AARGH. Really, it is bizarre too. Since its free, why not just do it? I have said for years, Moniker ought to, you know - hire an actual programmer. Not just a web guy for this pretty new look. And then, make some useful changes. Putting on a new look, which does not work that well anyway, instead of fixing the old stuff, makes no sense.

The interface is also inconsistent in how it names things. Depending on where you are, to get to your domains you either click on "My Account", "Domains with Moniker", or "My Domains". 3 different phrases but what we really want, most of the time, is to GET TO OUR DOMAINS. So why not have a button, on every screen, that just brings you to your domains?

And I just have to talk about scrolling again. When I do get to my domains, there is not one domain showing on the screen - not even one. I have to scroll down just to see even one domain. People, this is a bad user interface. Whomever did this had one goal in mind: make it pretty for some upper management types.

Also, in the Domain screen, on the left are a set of functions you can do. Nowhere does it say 'unlock'. Yes, I know how to do it - now. But not at first and it bugs the hell out of me, at every different registrar, when they do things differently. You have to spend so much time struggling with it. I hate it. A domain is locked or not, and it has an Auth code. These things are basic about domains so why pretend otherwise. Just put the damn info where we can find it.

You cannot login to Moniker, and then email support; it is not allowed. You have to do a separate login to a support system. I HATE THAT. I spend all day logging in to things, my fingers are wearing down to nubs. The old moniker had the worst suppor ever, first because they STUPIDLY put it into a popup, which for a lot of browsers did not work at all. and second, because it would take sometimes days to get an answer at all. Well, the popup problem is solved by adding a barrier: a new login, a new interface etc.... the solution is easy, just stick with godaddy. I can email to my own direct guy, or to support at godaddy, or call them... it just seems easier with godaddy. they dont do support with popups, i dont have to scroll endlessly, locking and unlocking are called locking and unlocking, and so on.

For years I have said that we all want Moniker to be the 'Domainers Registrar' but you know what, I now realize Moniker does not want to be that. Because if they did, they would have been polling domainers, and on the forums, to get feedback before they released this user interface. They would have reached out in a big way to the community and they did not do that.

And they never will.

Kevin

David G

Internet Entrepreneur
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
Well done revue Kevin and good points.

One of the strangest things about the new site is how their well known moniker logo is gone, which was a very nice logo and highly recognized. Kind of weird how they branded that logo so much for so long but decided to go with no logo on the new site, which site I think has been online for a couple months from what I recall but debranded.

http://www.dnforum.com/f604/debranded-moniker-snapnames-thread-433899.html

randomo

DNF Addict
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
URL Forwarding has a lot of clicking, and a cart with a 0$ charge but you force us through the cart; over and over again. [...] Since its free, why not just do it?
Yes! This is another longstanding pet peeve of mine at Moniker. I don't need to order URL Forwarding separately at GoDaddy [though their checkout process is also a hassle]; it's just another button I click whenever I want to use it.

If Moniker would just act sensibly about things like that (and about making its interface far more logical, which should be simple), it would be dominant in the domainer community.

Status
Not open for further replies.

The Rule #1

Do not insult any other member. Be polite and do business. Thank you!

Sedo - it.com Premiums

IT.com

Premium Members

AucDom
UKBackorder
Be a Squirrel
MariaBuy

New Threads

Our Mods' Businesses

URL Shortener
UrlPick.com

*the exceptional businesses of our esteemed moderators