Enjoy unlimited access to all forum features for FREE! Optional upgrade available for extra perks.
Daily Diamond

Reseller account

Status
Not open for further replies.

eSology

DNF Regular
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
othellotech said:
if you get a sub account and want to protect your pricing levels from being upped by the reseller above you

create a retail account inside your account
set the retail pricing to as low as it lets you

this prevents the higher level reseller increasing prices unless enom do a blanket price increase

othello, I know over at WHT the topic has been preached on over and over again but this little trick "can" and has been bypassed. The fact is, and answers the question above, the best and most stable foundation you can have as a domain reseller is to become an ETP yourself. Depending on volume this should be the ultimate goal. For some the math may not compute and it would seem more reasonable to get a sub-account under an ETP.

People also need to do their research before they blindly sign-up under someone. When the questions and doubts are raised I always encourage folks to send eNom an email and ask about their sub-account. eNom can answer certain pointed questions like, "Is my account directly under an ETP?" versus "Is blankety blank an ETP?" It all comes down to setting yourself up for success and that takes time, effort, and in most cases (a hard pill to swallow) money.

Domain Summit 2024

deleted7/10/23

Account Terminated
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
AVC said:
What would the advantage be for me to become an ETP and pay enom the 7G price verses buying a 6.95 reseller account for 200.00? With ether I could register .coms for 6.95 right?

For the support direct from enom.

For the "stability" of knowing you're at the highest level rather than subject to and ETP (or chain of sub account holders)

For the extra benefits sometimes aailable to ETP's liek $1.95 info domains at present

I know enom are concerned about the "trade" in 2nd user 6.95 accounts, and the fact that *frequently* people get ripped off then take it out on enom directly.

Do the maths. The *majority* of hosts I see "desperate" for a 6.95 account never use it to any great extent - they get them because its on some mythical list of things to buy when starting a hosting company.

Spending $300+ on a 6.95 sub acount rather than getting a free 8.95 one only makes financial sense after 150 domain registrations. Then compare that to the cash-flow implication on many hosts - it doesn't make sense.

We've ended up with 3 of them, as well as our ETP account (no they're *NOT* for sale) from takeovers of other hosts. Not one of those hosts had regsitered more than 85 domains, one paid $550 for their acount !

If you *realistically* are going to do 1000 domain registrations/transfers/renewals over the next 12-24months - get a *real* ETP account and invest the money in your business.

AVC

Level 3
Legacy Platinum Member
Reaction score
Thanks yeswedo I know about what is on ebay. I would rather buy from some one on this forum with a good rating though.

othellotech since I am low bucking it I will have to start out this year with a 6.95 reseller account instead of a real ETP account. If things go as planned I will be able to step up to the real thing next yr. Projected sales are 2400 accounts not 1000. So actually I hope to reg that many domains, maybe a little less. I have about 100 of my own also. I just would rather not have to put up the whole 7G right now as like I said I am just really getting the ball rolling. I have been a small ISP for 5 years and did web hosting on the side. Not a lot of margin in the ISP biz. Web Hosting has been better for us so we are heading off in that direction for this yr. We have plenty of experence at web hosting on a small scale, and own our servers etc. Having been in the ISP biz we know what customer service is.

Anyone here have a 6.95 account for sale? let me know.

I guess I could do with an 8.95 account but I just HAVE TO HAVE A 6.95 account as you say othellotech any why not. I guess it's for the same reason I race cars at the local track on the weekends. I beleave I am better faster and stronger then the other guy, and why start out 2.00 behind? After all I don't see it as a dumb move but as the step before getting a real ETP account.

SuperBrandables

SuperBrandables.Com
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
AVC, Thanks for the reply. I hope I am not reading into your statement the wrong way. My rating is most excellent not only on this forum, but on eBay as well.
Lots of luck with your venture. If I can help in any way, let me know.
My regards,
yeswedo

adoptabledomains

Level 7
Legacy Platinum Member
Reaction score
I am not an ETP,but have a $6.95 account, however i think I only paid about $100 for it at the time. I have accounts elsewhere with prices from $6.50, $6.75, to $8.99, and weight the cost of higher renewal with features and the ease of not transferring all over. Somtimes it's just easier to pay the $8.99 renewal than go through the hassle of gettign auth codes and doing all the data entry.

There is the risk of Enom ending the grandfathering of non-ETP accounts, so I personally wouldn't invest more than I would benefit in a year or so. There is also some risk of the reseller above you raising your prices,and some tips around to help stop that from happening. The only way to control your own destiny is to be at the top of the food chain and deal directly with Enom. However, there are other alternatives out there without the high initial cost of the ETP. Registerfly has similar pricing for 500 domain packs, but the prices don't stay down forever and you have to keep buying them. comparing an ETPaccount, at least every dollar (except 3% credit fee) goes directly toward domain reg or renewals. With a non-etp acoount, none of what you pay goes toward domain purchases.

deleted7/10/23

Account Terminated
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
AVC said:
I guess I could do with an 8.95 account but I just HAVE TO HAVE A 6.95 account
:D

AVC said:
why start out 2.00 behind? After all I don't see it as a dumb move but as the step before getting a real ETP account.
It's all a cash-flow / math question ;)

sub-account 100 domains @ 6.95 +3% + (average) cost of account $350 = 1065.85
sub account 100 domains @ 8.95 +3% = 921.85
etp account 100 domains @ 8.95 = 895

assuming all you *initially* do is setup an account and get ready for the 1st 100 domains

There's at least one method you've forgotten - direct etp on sliding scale
You can open an etp account @ 8.95 - why would you do that - to start at the top of the tree and save the 3% initial deposit discount on the 1st transaction (min deposit 495$).

Then when you get to 500 domains simply ask and the sale team will upgrade you to a 7.95 account. Then when you get to 1000 domains simply ask and the sales team will upgrade you to a 6.95 account
(you can always pay the difference between the no of domains and the next level to get an instant upgrade - talk to sales about it)

There's no guarantee sub-accs less than 8.95 will continue - I remember discussing it with enom management last year, and their *possible* plan to close down the trade in sold sub-accounts.

Whatever you choose, some advice if you go the sub-acc route...
1. create a DIRECT account free with enom for the username you *ultimately* want to use.
2. PUSH a domain from your sub account into that account so it remains open

This way someone else cant come along in the future and use your chosen login id. When you're ready to be an ETP get them to promote that account, as last I heard they couldn't/wouldn't upgrade sub-accounts to ETP status.

AVC

Level 3
Legacy Platinum Member
Reaction score
yeswedo I did not realize any of these are/were your auctions. If they are then pm me with a link to the auction(s) that are yours. Maybe I'll buy one from you. I certainly did not mean to insult you as I did not know any of these auctions were yours.

othellotech Thanks, this is the kind of good info I need to make a decision. I do see the merit in what you are saying. I will consider that route as I can certainly afford the cost of the 8.95 account and will definitely consider going this route. As you said I can upgrade as I reach the levels required for the good prices. The security that would come with a direct enom account would be worth it. Now I think I'll go create an account with the user name I want. Thanks.

Any one out there with advice on a good merchant account provider? I was thinking of cdgcommerce but there fees work out to be more then what I'm paying through paypal and I thought that merchant accounts were supposed to be cheaper then paypal when processing pmnts.

I have damn good credit and should be able to find some company who is good and cheap. I need this to work with modernbill or drams so they will probably need to offer authorize.net as an option.

I'm really getting kind of pissed off at these merchant account providers. None of them post the true cost of doing business with them on their websites. You have to get mostly or all the way through the app process then they show you the real cost and the hiddon crap like big fees for cancelling etc.

I'm going to compile all the knowledge I have had to dig up on this subject and put up a no BS merchant account "how to" website. Save everyone else out there from having to do a months worth of research just to have the damn knowledge to keep from getting taken the freaking cleaners by the wonderful generous upstanding ethical companies who offer these services... &*(*%$#. They will find it a little harder to get away with this crap in about 6 months. Lots of people will know the right questions to ask right up front because I'm putting together a one page questionnaire to print out and use for comparison shopping. non biased information will be available on the site and I will NOT promote a certain company that I'm affiliated with. I'll just put adsense ads on it and leave it at that.

In a few days I'll have something on the site then I'll ask for help from this forum and wht on what should be on my printable questionnaire, It's pretty much complete at this point but I know if I ask there will be lots of people who know more then me about this subject and may want to contribute something I may not have thought of.

Sorry for changing the subject here and ranting about this merchant accnt bs but it's really getting under my skin and I was supposed to have this done by now. Nothing like diving into muddy water and not being able to find the bottom!... line!!!! :angry:

NameRegistration

DNF Member
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
othellotech said:
Whatever you choose, some advice if you go the sub-acc route...
1. create a DIRECT account free with enom for the username you *ultimately* want to use.
2. PUSH a domain from your sub account into that account so it remains open

This way someone else cant come along in the future and use your chosen login id. When you're ready to be an ETP get them to promote that account, as last I heard they couldn't/wouldn't upgrade sub-accounts to ETP status.

I do not understand why you would like to have a chosen id. If your chosen id is related with your name/company name a person trying to hack your account would have half of the job done. In the other hand your user id will only be used to login and have no other purpose (it is not like choosing for a forum or a chat).

eSology

DNF Regular
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
othellotech said:
:D
There's no guarantee sub-accs less than 8.95 will continue - I remember discussing it with enom management last year, and their *possible* plan to close down the trade in sold sub-accounts.
I was told that last year also by eNom upper mgt. I was offered an opportunity to buy out a well known ETP on WHT and the info I received from eNom made me decline the deal.

othellotech said:
Good advice and very true. I even asked Matt before he left about this and was told they wouldn't move a sub-account or upgrade one. Of course one thing I have learned about eNom...rules are guidelines and can be broken.

deleted7/10/23

Account Terminated
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
why a chosen username ? does it *really* needs explaining ...

because its a *LOT* :
* easier to remember your username as my-host-co than sp4zm0dius847
* more professional asking clients to push their domains to my-host-co than sp4zm0dius847
* simpler to explain to support should you ever need it
* more straightforward to track down a failed credit to my-host-co than sp4zm0dius847
* etc etc

It's all about branding and maintaining a professional image ...

GlobalNomad

Level 1
Legacy Platinum Member
Reaction score
Check out the 1and1.com's $5.99 offer (on all TLDs). It's a large german hoster trying to break into the american market. They have very reliable service.

JeeJee

Level 4
Legacy Platinum Member
Reaction score
do the 1&1 allows free push?

Also, may i ask i'm having the very expensive $29.99 enom account. I have not bought any names yet but how could i get it cheaper? I don't really fancy forking out $495 at this moment but is there another way round rather than paying that to become an ETP or should i create some new $8.95 reseller acct. The reason for using enom is for using their club drop.

Cheers

eSology

DNF Regular
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
Take your time and look around before you decide.

JeeJee

Level 4
Legacy Platinum Member
Reaction score
take my time and look around? I already has an account with enom. Should ask for an upgrade or do i need to pay them $$ to do so? There is no charge for CC (3%) being an ETP with them i suppose?

Status
Not open for further replies.

The Rule #1

Do not insult any other member. Be polite and do business. Thank you!

Sedo - it.com Premiums

IT.com

Premium Members

AucDom
UKBackorder
Be a Squirrel
MariaBuy

New Threads

Our Mods' Businesses

UrlPick.com

*the exceptional businesses of our esteemed moderators

Top Bottom