Enjoy unlimited access to all forum features for FREE! Optional upgrade available for extra perks.
NDD Camp 2024

Reseller market hits all time low

Status
Not open for further replies.

thevirtual

Level 10
Legacy Platinum Member
Reaction score
The types of names you want to have don't require any "soliciting". End users with cash go looking for good domains and become emotionally involved in the process. If you have decent names all you need to do is provide a contact form and/or whois contact info. The real skill lies in negotiating good deals for yourself. If you start with less than good names, your already behind. The market decides what names are good, you just have to tune in.

Unfortunately I didn't start domaining wealthy.

If you have domains that are getting good offers on a regular basis you must have paid alot for them in the first place... Nevermind, I wont waste my time debating.

It is obvious this business is mostly good for people with deep pockets, unless you are somewhat lucky, which I am neither. Otherwise this business can be very annoying and a waste of time.

Focus

Making Everything Click
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
The domain market is bigger, better, stronger than EVER! If you have good domains! ;)

thevirtual

Level 10
Legacy Platinum Member
Reaction score
The domain market is bigger, better, stronger than EVER! If you have good domains! ;)

Correct.

However this thread is about domain sales compared to previous periods.

This applies, even if you are selling premium domain AA.com :eek:
During the good times, when buying/selling was steady, you would get much more for this domain. During the slow period you would get less for the domain and less offers. During the current market however, you might as well not list the domain, even if you got an offer it would probably turn your stomach.

The market seems very unbalanced/inconsistent. Also I noticed people buying domains very sporadically, you will get a very different response to the same domains depending on what time you list them.

TheLegendaryJP

Level 9
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
Certaionly tougher times, no doubt. Always exceptions to the rule which do not take exceptional names but rather exceptionally motivated buyer(s).

Acquisition

Level 5
Legacy Platinum Member
Reaction score

If you have domains that are getting good offers on a regular basis you must have paid alot for them in the first place..

That's simply not true. I have purchased a lot of very good domains recently for $xxxx from unsuspecting owners who were sitting on names and were just oblivious when it comes to the value of said domains... Some of those names we turned around and sold recently for high $xx,xxx , mid $xx,xxx, and some for 6 figures.

None of them sold for less than 7 times what we paid for it. Some as high as 35 times our cost. And these were names that were bought and sold over the last 12 months. So anyone who says it can't be done in this day and age, is simply nuts.

You really need to do some introspection because it's obvious you are making mistakes by either 1) not working hard enough to find the many great deals out there on some very good names 2) Your initial approach to endusers needs a lot more work 3) Your negotiating skills need a serious makeover.

Last edited:

thevirtual

Level 10
Legacy Platinum Member
Reaction score
That's simply not true. I have purchased a lot of very good domains recently for $xxxx from unsuspecting owners who were sitting on names and were just oblivious when it comes to the value of said domains... Some of those names we turned around and sold recently for high $xx,xxx , mid $xx,xxx, and some for 6 figures.

None of them sold for less than 7 times what we paid for it. Some as high as 35 times our cost. And these were names that were bought and sold over the last 12 months. So anyone who says it can't be done in this day and age, is simply nuts.

You mentioned unsolicited offers from end users, why did the end users not contact the previous domain owners?

You really need to do some introspection because it's obvious you are making mistakes by either 1) not working hard enough to find the many great deals out there on some very good names 2) Your initial approach to endusers needs a lot more work 3) Your negotiating skills need a serious makeover.

Most of my sales have been around 10 times what I paid or more. If I had more funds to invest in domains I would expect to make around the same ROI. I have had even less to invest in domains with the slowdown that has happened.

Gerry

Dances With Dogs
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
Starting a site is no problem for me.
Maintaining sites by constantly updating with fresh contents are my problem :(
Can you spell RSS? :lol:

I understand what you are saying, though.

Maintaining sites is a chore.

But I am going to take it on.

thevirtual

Level 10
Legacy Platinum Member
Reaction score
Developing websites is fairly easy. However, developed sites are worthless unless you have the time and/or money to promote the site. Also you are wasting your time and/or money if you don't know how what you're doing.

cleverlyslick

Level 6
Legacy Platinum Member
Reaction score
end user are out there.you find end users by contacting businesses that don't have websites yet.and sell them a domain related to their business.granted you won't get as much money than if you wait for them to come,but it's a good flip.

i see domain like the coke business.why are you trying to make more money by stretching the dope?break it down and just flip.keep buying and flipping.don't try to reg a domain and try to sell it for 100k.that's how I see it imo.if you can sell it for 100k more power to you,just don't aim for that.

100% profit imo is all i need to be happy.even if i just reg a domain.

Acquisition

Level 5
Legacy Platinum Member
Reaction score
You mentioned unsolicited offers from end users, why did the end users not contact the previous domain owners?

Come on. Stop acting like an amateur.

Obviously there are many end users who just look at places like afternic to find a name. Over 90% of them don't even know about the whole business of contacting domain owners directly. And if they do , they may email a couple people who have the best of the best dotcoms, and either they receive no response, or an answer of $500k+ .. Then endusers give up on the rest of the dozens of good names that would represent their business perfectly. Many of them don't even think of the obvious great names that would help their business.

So a lot of endusers stand pat.

Hence, contacting end-users with good names that would greatly increase their business, brand, and online presence. And of course knowing what to say, how to delegate, how to promote, and knowing how to negotiate is all part of making big bucks in this business.

Last edited:

thevirtual

Level 10
Legacy Platinum Member
Reaction score

Obviously there are many end users who just look at places like afternic to find a name. Over 90% of them don't even know about the whole business of contacting domain owners directly. Hence, contacting end-users with good names that would greatly increase their business, brand, and online presence. And of course knowing what to say, how to delegate, and knowing how to negotiate is all part of making big bucks in this business.

You never mentioned using domain marketplaces. There is a difference between sitting back and receiving offers, and actually listing a domain for sale.

cleverlyslick

Level 6
Legacy Platinum Member
Reaction score

Obviously there are many end users who just look at places like afternic to find a name. Over 90% of them don't even know about the whole business of contacting domain owners directly. And if they do , they may email a couple people who have the best of the best dotcoms, and either they receive no response, or an answer of $500k+ .. Then endusers give up on the rest of the hundreds of good names. Many of them don't even think of the obvious great names that would help their business.

So a lot of endusers stand pat.

Hence, contacting end-users with good names that would greatly increase their business, brand, and online presence. And of course knowing what to say, how to delegate, and knowing how to negotiate is all part of making big bucks in this business.

you hit the nail in the coffin.it can't be stated simpler than that.:eek:k:

Acquisition

Level 5
Legacy Platinum Member
Reaction score
You never mentioned using domain marketplaces. There is a difference between sitting back and receiving offers, and actually listing a domain for sale.

Meh. You totally missed the point.

I don't have a single name of our over 1000 dotcoms listed in any domain marketplace. Not anywhere. Never have.

I contact end users. And I am good at it.

Gerry

Dances With Dogs
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
The idea of paying good money for good names...

has anyone on this thread regged anything lately?

I have.

And glad I did.

Poker

Domains
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score

If you have domains that are getting good offers on a regular basis you must have paid alot for them in the first place... Nevermind, I wont waste my time debating.

Neither did I. In fact I started 30k in debt. I only had 2k left in credit to use for domains and little cash flow because I had just quit my job so I could kick ass on the internet. What I did do is work my ass off every day and night, 6 days a week. I sold domains I didn't want to sell just to get by at first. As far as paying a lot for my names, never did. Most of my names were hand regged or $60 drops (max).

ksinclair

Level 9
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
When the reseller market is low, we ought to do more barters. Not for single word premiums maybe, but for multi word domains or one word .net and so on. If you two guys have different niches, and have domains that can fill out the other guy, then its a good deal for both. Mostly I buy here, but have done some barters. I would like to do more barters.

Doesn't it make sense to barter, when the reseller market is low for cash sales?

Acquisition

Level 5
Legacy Platinum Member
Reaction score
I'll just give one example. And I will do my best to post the name without it getting spidered in search engines.

okay, imagine the word "group".. Then imagine the word "media" .. Now put the word media in front of the "g" word and you get MG (dot) calm.. Not the two letter obviously, but the two words then the dotcom.

Now, take a look.. We bought the name for low xxxx last week.. For you domainers out there, it does get good traffic, but look at how many results it gets in search engines-

http://ca.search.yahoo.com/search?p=%22media+group%22&fr=yfp-t-501&toggle=1&cop=&ei=UTF-8

That's over 180 million results WITH quotes. Forget about the traffic the name gets for a second (although it's good traffic), but look at how many companies use that term in a string in their URL's and company domain names.. I researched before I bought the name, and there are literally THOUSANDS of companies who use the term as the main component of their business models (and the main component of their url's).

Domaining is a numbers game people. It's all about the numbers. The most important number is that we already have offers up to $25k from companies just a week after we bought the name for low $xxxx.. Overall, Three offers over $20k already (just in the beginning stages) of contactng companies with very well done emails and telephone calls to end users. With plenty more interest coming in daily from said companies who use that term. The name will eventually go for much higher once we're done.

So if anyone doubts that you can make a lot of money in this business, in this day in age, you are simply nuts. PERIOD.

Raider

Level 9
Legacy Gold Member
Reaction score
Resellers have always been tight wads, now they are even bigger tight wads because of the state of the economy... It's not so much they are hurting, their simply capitalizing on a weak economy, hoping to find sellers who are strapped for cash and desperate to sell.

Status
Not open for further replies.

The Rule #1

Do not insult any other member. Be polite and do business. Thank you!

Sedo - it.com Premiums

IT.com

Premium Members

AucDom
UKBackorder
Be a Squirrel
MariaBuy

New Threads

Our Mods' Businesses

UrlPick.com
URL Shortener

*the exceptional businesses of our esteemed moderators