• Welcome to DNForum.com - Domain Investor Forum, Free Domain Marketplace and a community for 45+ domain pros
    If you are new to domains and looking to buy, sell and learn about domains then you have come to the right place. DNForum is the oldest global domain name community on the internet and continues to grow every day. There are over 45,000 domainers on DNForum doing everything from buying domains, selling domains, using our free in-house built tools, learning about domains and discussing domains. Take a minute and Register.

Restrictions on ownership of .uk domains?

Status
Not open for further replies.

mccollin

New Member
The Originals
Legacy Platinum Member
Joined
Sep 18, 2003
Messages
226
Reaction score
0
I own a US based company... webhosting, domains, and a number of web properties - forums, e-commerce, etc.. I am discussion the purchase of a UK based business that has a .uk domain, and includes hosting and domain customers, all handled via .uk entities. I looked at buying a .ca (canada) site a while back and found that I could not own the domain. This led me to abandon the idea of buying the site, as the risk of not owning the domain wasn't something I wanted to deal with. In this case the site's main url isn't anything special so it isn't a show stopper, but I'd like to know if I can take this domain and the web assets without any issues.

Thanks!
 
the only restrictions on owning a co.uk is the antiquated transfer malarky you have to go through (and the extra costs), but otherwise its great! and i would recommend it to anyone!...

:cheeky:
 
unclewilco said:
the only restrictions on owning a co.uk is the antiquated transfer malarky you have to go through (and the extra costs), but otherwise its great! and i would recommend it to anyone!...

:cheeky:

Can you expand on "antiquated transfer malarky"?

In this case I would be taking over the reseller account in which I believe the .uk domains are contained... so they may not have to be transferred even.
 
mccollin said:
Can you expand on "antiquated transfer malarky"?

In this case I would be taking over the reseller account in which I believe the .uk domains are contained... so they may not have to be transferred even.

i did not mean to sound sarky... just had a hassle with Nominet...

but
you will have to change ownership of the names with Nominet.

all the info is here..
http://www.nic.uk/MakingChangesToYourDomainName/Transfer/

regards

wilco
 
unclewilco said:
i did not mean to sound sarky... just had a hassle with Nominet...

but
you will have to change ownership of the names with Nominet.

all the info is here..
http://www.nic.uk/MakingChangesToYourDomainName/Transfer/

regards

wilco

Yes cost and paper based process of transfering UK domains is one of its down sides - still a great market at the moment tho.
 
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom