• Welcome to DNForum.com - Domain Investor Forum, Free Domain Marketplace and a community for 45+ domain pros
    If you are new to domains and looking to buy, sell and learn about domains then you have come to the right place. DNForum is the oldest global domain name community on the internet and continues to grow every day. There are over 45,000 domainers on DNForum doing everything from buying domains, selling domains, using our free in-house built tools, learning about domains and discussing domains. Take a minute and Register.

saggydimes at snapnames :(

Status
Not open for further replies.

DaddyHalbucks

Domain Buyer
The Originals
Legacy Exclusive Member
Joined
Oct 23, 2002
Messages
3,142
Reaction score
18
Today I was bidding against saggydimes in an auction at SnapNames.

Does saggydimes=buydomains?

Anyway, it felt like I was bidding against a software program, not a real person. I read in another thread on DNF that, according to Juniper Park, SnapNames allows some bidders to use automated programs to bid.

How do you guys feel about this?

Does allowing some bidders to use such methods build your confidence that SnapNames runs a fair auction where all bidders are on equal footing?
 
Why would they need to use automated programs? The max proxy bids work well enough I would think.
 
Brujah said:
Why would they need to use automated programs? The max proxy bids work well enough I would think.

The max proxy bid feature runs up the price much faster.

If you have an automated program, for example, that is set to bid in $10 increments every few minutes, the price rises much slower.
 
DaddyHalbucks said:
Today I was bidding against saggydimes in an auction at SnapNames.

Does saggydimes=buydomains?

Anyway, it felt like I was bidding against a software program, not a real person. I read in another thread on DNF that, according to Juniper Park, SnapNames allows some bidders to use automated programs to bid.

How do you guys feel about this?

Does allowing some bidders to use such methods build your confidence that SnapNames runs a fair auction where all bidders are on equal footing?

They have budgets too, but you just gotta have deeper pockets for some names.
 
DaddyHalbucks said:
The max proxy bid feature runs up the price much faster.

If you have an automated program, for example, that is set to bid in $10 increments every few minutes, the price rises much slower.
I've had similiar experiences with not only saggy, but vaxis.

It was him and I, the only two bidders and he bid exactly $10 at exactly 5 minutes to the end of auction thus extending the time to 9 minutes.

This went on for an hour, no lie, before he finally gave up.
 
This has been covered alot but yes, both Saggydimes and Vaxis have bots. You can tell this because both bots bid the minimum on a name all the way to their top proxy bid. So you can expect an auction to drag out a very long time if you are up against them because their minimum bids will keep extending the auction when it breaks below 5 mins remaining.

Saggydimes= Buydomains.com
Vaxis = Vertical Axis

Snapnames allows bots so if you don't want to babysit the auctions you can also run one.
 
Are there bots or bot services out there for others to use?
 
^. You need to build your own, or buy one for $xx,xxx
 
I could write one, sounds like a fun little project.
 
DaddyHalbucks said:
...

Does allowing some bidders to use such methods build your confidence that SnapNames runs a fair auction where all bidders are on equal footing?

Ebay's always had people using bots and nobody seems to complain about that.
 
Frontline said:
Snapnames allows bots so if you don't want to babysit the auctions you can also run one.


Nice if you have that advantage.
 
Rarethings said:
^. You need to build your own, or buy one for $xx,xxx

Why would it cost anything close to five figures?
 
I had this experience also. It was me against saggydimes on a lll.net auction at snapnames. It went on tho for 30 minutes, we kept on out-bidding each other. Then I notice his $10 increments, and outbid him with $1 and won the auction.

I then emailed buydomains asking whether he wants to name for 2x the price I won. He ignored my email. LOL
 
yes look like they have set the max prices with theyre scripts. Its possible to outbid them, just make higher bid on first time.
 
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom