Enjoy unlimited access to all forum features for FREE! Optional upgrade available for extra perks.
NDD Camp 2024

"Scam" Domains

Status
Not open for further replies.

Hyphen

Level 2
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
Assume that I have paid for one or two years of web hosting in advance to a company. After a week, my hosting goes down and completely disappears with no word from the company. The company continues to operate and ignores my emails for weeks.

I am aware of the cases where [company]sucks.com has been successful. Would I be more likely to face legal problems with [company]scam.com? If the material on a domain like that very exclusively expressed opinions and personal experiences, would legal issues be less likely?

Mark Talbot

Level 7
Legacy Platinum Member
Reaction score
First, hosting outfits come and go, and alot of them go when the propreitor tires of running a reseller hosting account.
Second, I wonder, is it really worth it to pursue besmirching a defunct or poorly-run outfit that probable didnt even own their own servers? Really? To what benefit?

Lastly, stick with the big outfits that have a long track record. You wont be disappointed.

Hyphen

Level 2
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
First, hosting outfits come and go, and alot of them go when the propreitor tires of running a reseller hosting account.
Second, I wonder, is it really worth it to pursue besmirching a defunct or poorly-run outfit that probable didnt even own their own servers? Really? To what benefit?

Lastly, stick with the big outfits that have a long track record. You wont be disappointed.
It was really only an example. I completely fabricated that scenario, but it was the first one that managed to come to mind.

Mike Cruz

Exclusive Lifetime Member
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
I'd stick with sucks unless you have very clear and strong proof that they are scammers and even then, I'd personally still stick with 'sucks'.

Mark Talbot

Level 7
Legacy Platinum Member
Reaction score
It was really only an example. I completely fabricated that scenario, but it was the first one that managed to come to mind.

Salright.

On that note, it's a fine line to the path of liable.
If it isnt court-worthy, it isnt worth the risk.

I agree, stay with sucks, and make it an anti-fan site.

Cartoonz

Level 7
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
liable and libel are two different things...
...but this scenario could get a taste of both ;)

yanhuang

Level 3
Legacy Platinum Member
Reaction score
I own Cash Advance Scams [dot] com. I personally think it is better if you picked a generic term rather than go after an actual business or company. From my years of experience in business with my web design & hosting business, less friction is better.

Status
Not open for further replies.

The Rule #1

Do not insult any other member. Be polite and do business. Thank you!

Sedo - it.com Premiums

IT.com

Premium Members

AucDom
UKBackorder
Be a Squirrel
MariaBuy

Our Mods' Businesses

URL Shortener
UrlPick.com

*the exceptional businesses of our esteemed moderators

Top Bottom