Enjoy unlimited access to all forum features for FREE! Optional upgrade available for extra perks.
Domain summit 2024

Sedo is rejecting any Obamacare domain, what's with that ?

Status
Not open for further replies.

angel69

Level 7
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
Sedo is rejecting any domain containing the term Obamacare, for sale or parking, what's with that ?

Does anybody know what the basis for this flawed policy is ? Sure, many are just trying to ride the wave of negativity and exploit it (some.....lol, none that I know, tho) but the reasons for owning an Obamacare domain or website are varied, one may want to comment, direct people, post discussions, post updates, give advice, etc and all should be allowed. Profanity should probably not be allowed to be attached to a gov program name no matter how much of a failure it is (or as accurate as the sentiments expressed in the domain title may be.... lol), but if monetization companies are going down that road soon there will be no domainers using them

As to just buying or selling an Obamacare domain Sedo has no right IMO to restrict the marketplace. Making money from them in parking might be more debatable. I've always known the f word is automatically blocked at Sedo and your listing is rejected, but besides one or two swear words there is little Sedo should be able to get away with afa limiting domainers' options

I've tried two different domains containing the term Obamacare and both got rejected, they should not have been. Not accepting Romney domains once he was the GOP candidate in 2012 was more in line with reasonable standards, profiting from the possible next prez's last name is in bad taste to say the least (although I do not recall hearing Obama or McCain domains being rejected in the 2008 prez election, tho....but I was such a noob then, I must not have been paying much attention)

Last edited:

Gerry

Dances With Dogs
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
They have been doing that quite some time now. Hillary, Clinton, Obama, etc. They are kicking politics out of sedo for a while now.

Biggie

DNForum Moderator
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
ppc companies retain the right to block, restrict or prevent, anything they want within their TOS.

they also retain the right to "alter" those terms (providing they give notice), at their discretion.

it's up to you to agree or not.

imo....

Theo

Account Terminated
Reaction score
****Politics dot com :D

angel69

Level 7
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
That's right, f*ck politics and leave it out of domains lol. I'd love to own F*ckPolitics.com. I can't stand Sedo pkg anyway so all I wanted was for them to list them for sale there

As to Biggedon's comment I'm used to having keywords judged and blocked, Namedrive does that a lot and you don't even get a notice of why it was blocked (or even that your kw was rejected, you only find that in the CP in red next time you log in) But when the domain itself gets rejected at listing time it means those terms contained in the domain were programmed to be rejected regardless of the kw you would've used, I have a problem with that cuz it leads to arbitrary domain discrimination in cases when there are no grounds for it. And what may be unacceptable to Sedo may be OK with most people, so injecting their own judgmental views is not good for domaining

Plus, Obamacare was a term the pundits came up with (like Reaganomics, Hillarycare and others) and it's not the actual name of the government program. If I owned NoChildLeftBehind.org then they'd be more in line since NCLB was enacted as a law/program, that's a federal program name and even if it's not restricted for government use only they could prevent you from doing just anything you want. I think there are some 1st Amendment issues for PPC companies and domainers in the US (we often hear some domains are out of reach because the registrar or the name servers or the PPC's actual company HQ address is overseas when there are domain use disputes) So their TOS may allow them all this leeway to accept/reject names for sale/pkg but it isn't right IMO....

But since it's soooo damn hard to close any sale on Sedo these days their not listing any of my names for sale there will probably not make much difference in the end... :-/

Biggie

DNForum Moderator
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
But since it's soooo damn hard to close any sale on Sedo these days their not listing any of my names for sale there will probably not make much difference in the end... :-/

angel;

now this is only my opinion...

if I were representing sedo or any other entity, that requires you to sign/check a box, to agree to terms of usage -

i'd say "the only rights you have, are the rights we grant you".

no 1st amendment applies, outside of the rights granted for you to pursue litigation, where there may be breach of agreement by another user in relation to a sale or purchase.

they retain all rights, in regards to what domain names can be utilized by their servers.

one of the reasons why redirection was eliminated.

don't take it personal, it's business.

see it that way and you won't have any issues.

imo....

Status
Not open for further replies.

The Rule #1

Do not insult any other member. Be polite and do business. Thank you!

Sedo - it.com Premiums

IT.com

Premium Members

AucDom
UKBackorder
Be a Squirrel
MariaBuy

New Threads

Our Mods' Businesses

URL Shortener
UrlPick.com

*the exceptional businesses of our esteemed moderators