• Welcome to DNForum.com - Domain Investor Forum, Free Domain Marketplace and a community for 45+ domain pros
    If you are new to domains and looking to buy, sell and learn about domains then you have come to the right place. DNForum is the oldest global domain name community on the internet and continues to grow every day. There are over 45,000 domainers on DNForum doing everything from buying domains, selling domains, using our free in-house built tools, learning about domains and discussing domains. Take a minute and Register.

Selling a domain while tasting it with Premium Drops

Status
Not open for further replies.

RegFee

New Member
Legacy Exclusive Member
Joined
Mar 28, 2005
Messages
865
Reaction score
3
For those who don't know, PD allows you to register a name through their enom account, and the nameservers will be set to their parking account. Their script tracks hits/clicks/revenue, and if within 4 days you decide to keep it, you pay $9.99 and it gets pushed to your enom account. If you do nothing, it gets deleted automatically.

The tasting panel at PD says you CAN sell a name while it is being tasted. I was wondering what everyone's thoughts were on selling a domain while tasting it, when it isn't 100% in your possession. I know Luc would never ruin his reputation by deciding to keep a name you are tasting, so really the only thing I see that could go wrong is a script error that keeps you from getting the name, only to have it dropped and someone else register it, AFTER you've made a sale.

So, good idea, or not?
 
I tasted some domains in Moniker. There you must delete them before the 4 days. They only charge the ICANN fees. Works very well...the problem is that sometimes 4 days is not enough time to try it. But thats life...
 
I reg'd an account there and just tried to taste some names...says they are max'ed out with enom and have insufficient balance...otherwise it looks word up..
 
I've tasted several domains with PD. What I'm asking is if you think it's a good idea/ethical to sell a domain when it's technically not under your control.
 
If you did reg it, is it not under your control even while you are tasting it? If you paid a registration fee, it is yours.

To me, that is an added bonus. Obviously, tasting is pretty sweet while you're test driving it and get offers. I see nothing ethically or legally objectionable as it is dropped, you did reg it, and you beat everyone else to the punch.

I have recently (actually within the past 4 days) did the same thing (not with enom, at moniker) and had three offers to purchase within this time frame. All from the UK based on email addresses.

A problem, if you want to call it that, is how to determine a fair value on something like this. Even before the name had one click I had an offer.

How do you gauge a value...go by years regged, traffic, links, WayBack, Page Rank, all of it? Odd situation that I have not been in before.

I'd be interested in knowing how you would place a dollar figure on such.
 
From what I understood, anyone can register a domain being tasted at PD, or am I wrong?
 
The tasting panel at PD says you CAN sell a name while it is being tasted.

You probably misunderstood, you can't sell the name that can be registered by anyone through PD at the time..
 
I've tasted several domains with PD. What I'm asking is if you think it's a good idea/ethical to sell a domain when it's technically not under your control.

But it is under your control, you have a four day period where you can buy it. Like a 4 day option to buy. So no, it's not unethical to sell it during that period. If someone offered to buy it, you'd have to first pay for the name yourself before transferring it, anyway.
 
But it is under your control, you have a four day period where you can buy it. Like a 4 day option to buy. So no, it's not unethical to sell it during that period. If someone offered to buy it, you'd have to first pay for the name yourself before transferring it, anyway.
Did they person already pay for the name before parking it at PD? Does PD not consider this a registration?

I do not use PD to park so I'm a little confused. I pay at moniker, usually park at ND for tasting, and I have a 4 day option to keep or dump. However, I am technically the owner as the WHOIS database reflects this.

Personally, I do not see where there would be any issue whatsoever.
 
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom