Enjoy unlimited access to all forum features for FREE! Optional upgrade available for extra perks.
Daily Diamond

Shed Light on .Biz see Question

Status
Not open for further replies.

garyted51

Level 8
Legacy Gold Member
Reaction score
If I buy a .Biz Tld. Can I resell the name just like it was a dot com if the trademark is not a violation?

Domain Summit 2024

jberryhill

Philadelphia Lawyer
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
Here we come to the nub of essential weirdness about policies in .biz.

.biz is a chartered TLD, for bona fide businesses. You'll read that right in the domain contract, where it specifically says that registering a domain name in .biz for resale is not a "bona fide" business. It is a charter violation.

You will also notice that .biz comes with its own peculiar dispute policy called the RRDRP - the Registry Restrictions Dispute Policy. It says that if you find someone selling a .biz domain name, then you can file a complaint under the policy, and the domain name will be "cancelled or transferred". The fees and so forth, can be found at the home of the usual suspects - www.arb-forum.com.

Now, put on your thinking cap for a moment. Just because someone else is breaking a rule, does that entitle YOU to the domain name? Why? Because you complained first?

Bear in mind, this is a totally separate policy from the UDRP, which also applies to .biz names. So, you would have to be some kind of a moron, if you were entitled to the domain name by your trademark, to file an RRDRP complaint instead of a UDRP complaint.

Can you imagine the colossal stupid moron who is going to pay something like $1500, just to have a domain name thrown back into the pool of available names? Maybe... maybe it makes sense if the WLS is implemented to apply to .biz, but I would not count on it, as Snapnames/Verisign own the patent applications on WLS.

Ah, but of course, you can sell your .biz name if you are selling the business that goes along with it. So, don't just give them the name - give them the business.

garyted51

Level 8
Legacy Gold Member
Reaction score
Thanks... I will quit the moran thingy.

jberryhill

Philadelphia Lawyer
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
The point is that if you've got a good generic .biz name, then someone would be much wiser to buy it from you than to simply have it cancelled with no assurance they'd get it.

DryHeat

Level 7
Legacy Platinum Member
Reaction score
Originally posted by jberryhill

Ah, but of course, you can sell your .biz name if you are selling the business that goes along with it. So, don't just give them the name - give them the business.

One important question in this vain would be (i'm not ure if this has been formally addressed so far) to determine what is it that will "transform" a name into a business? Can it be just one's expense of time & resources in formulating a business plan for the name or would (at a minimum) it requires developing a website even if its very basic with some pertinent info and relevant links, etc. ? Any thoughts on this?

jberryhill

Philadelphia Lawyer
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
I would guess that the threshold for a "bona fide" business in .biz is very low.

Status
Not open for further replies.

The Rule #1

Do not insult any other member. Be polite and do business. Thank you!

Sedo - it.com Premiums

IT.com

Premium Members

AucDom
UKBackorder
Be a Squirrel
MariaBuy

Our Mods' Businesses

UrlPick.com

*the exceptional businesses of our esteemed moderators

Top Bottom