Enjoy unlimited access to all forum features for FREE! Optional upgrade available for extra perks.
Domain summit 2024

discussion Cracking the Code: Understanding Public vs. Private .ORG WHOIS

This is a general discussion thread revolving around the a topic of the original poster's choice.

shaerif

Reaction score
Initially, .ORG domains were primarily utilized by charitable organizations and non-profits. However, nowadays, they're open for registration by anyone, including businesses!

But here's the crucial question: Can people access your .ORG domain information online?

Let's break it down:

Privacy Guard: Some domain registrars automatically conceal your information. However, not all registrars follow this practice, so it's advisable to verify with yours!
Exemption from GDPR: If you're not in the EU, privacy regulations like GDPR may not apply to you. Consequently, your information could be public unless you request your registrar to hide it.
Transparency is Key: Many individuals prefer having access to domain owner information (WHOIS) as it fosters trust.
In essence, if you own a .ORG domain, it's wise to confirm with your registrar whether your information is publicly accessible. After all, we all value transparency and openness in the domain world!

Based on my personal experiences with various registrars, including PorkBun and SpaceShip, I've encountered challenges in making WHOIS information public, particularly for .org domains. Despite attempting to set the preference to public, these registrars still displayed the WHOIS information as "REDACTED FOR PRIVACY."

For example, PorkBun informed me that all .org domains are automatically set to private, irrespective of the user's preference. Similarly, SpaceShip defaulted to private WHOIS information for .org domains, despite my efforts to make it public.

These instances highlight that certain registrars have policies or technical constraints that supersede the user's desire for public WHOIS information, particularly for specific TLDs like .org.

I hope this sheds light on my encounters with registrars and their management of WHOIS information.

What are your thoughts on .ORG domain information being public? Feel free to share your experiences!"

Biggie

DNForum Moderator
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
In essence, if you own a .ORG domain, it's wise to confirm with your registrar whether your information is publicly accessible. After all, we all value transparency and openness in the domain world!
Hi

i own a few .org domains and have sold quite a few over the years.
not really concerned about whois being publicly accessible, because they are all listed for sale on the various marketplaces.

the trust factor, lies within the platform credibility.

imo...

The Rule #1

Do not insult any other member. Be polite and do business. Thank you!

Sedo - it.com Premiums

IT.com

Premium Members

AucDom
UKBackorder
Be a Squirrel
MariaBuy

Our Mods' Businesses

UrlPick.com
URL Shortener

*the exceptional businesses of our esteemed moderators

Top Bottom