• Welcome to DNForum.com - Domain Investor Forum, Free Domain Marketplace and a community for 45+ domain pros
    If you are new to domains and looking to buy, sell and learn about domains then you have come to the right place. DNForum is the oldest global domain name community on the internet and continues to grow every day. There are over 45,000 domainers on DNForum doing everything from buying domains, selling domains, using our free in-house built tools, learning about domains and discussing domains. Take a minute and Register.

sickening

Status
Not open for further replies.

MrDude

New Member
Legacy Platinum Member
Joined
Jun 10, 2005
Messages
1,219
Reaction score
1
Well I find it sickening people abuse trust like this.

I used to run a small webhosting company, I transferred the site and the paying customers to a new owner and some people I was hosting for free out of the goodness of my heart, I kept for free. 6 people, I found 2 months back one of them was hosting warez behind a coming soon page. Account was terminated, I find today somebody was operating a myspace support site and behind it, im not going to explain how it works but its been stealing myspace passwords, it has around 1.5MB of data in the form of
user:
pass:

I have suspended the account and contacted myspace.

anyone have any similar occurences?
 
Wow, I have not had this yet, but I don't host other people's sites very often.

That's great that you did the right thing though. Those people could be looking at some real legal trouble in the near future now too. You definitely want to do everything you can to cooperate in bringing them to justice since I'm sure you do not condone any of the activity that went on.

Good luck with everying. Will be interesting to hear what happens soon with this.
 
The bottom line of this, hosting is a true business and not just a hobby.
From the moment you offer hosting to outside parties you must be prepared to deal with that kind of problems or even get blacklisted, suffer bandwidth theft, or deal with unexpected technical issues.
That's the kind of reasons I only host for myself.
Hosting is a very competitive industry anyway so you have to do the math, I don't think the small profits are worth the hassle you can get, unless you operate on a large scale with paid staff to handle issues and support etc.
There are too many people who run hosting services as a side business, when issues occur they can take ages to resolve.
Reliability and security go with professionalism and dedication.
JMO.
 
I had no problems with my paid hosting company, its just the people I hosted out the good of my heart.

I have terminated the account and contacted myspace. I understand I will have these problems and yesterday manually checking, I realised I had another.
 
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom