Enjoy unlimited access to all forum features for FREE! Optional upgrade available for extra perks.
Domain summit 2024

cctld So are .eu's pretty much worthless or what?

Status
Not open for further replies.

DomainsInc

Level 8
Legacy Platinum Member
Reaction score
I never invested in them as i never saw a real market for them but of course always wondered if the exention would take off. Looks like it hasn't but are one word generics worthless?

domainah

DNF Addict
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
I think there is no real use for .eu unless for a few top notch generics... people in the EU are cheap when it comes to domain buying anyway..I had a couple of three letter .eu domains, and all I got was emails from companies wanting to buy them with a top budget of like $50...what a joke...
I think .eu is today what mobi will be 2 years from now... useless, unused and a thing of the past

binaryman

Level 4
Legacy Platinum Member
Reaction score
I think there is no real use for .eu unless for a few top notch generics... people in the EU are cheap when it comes to domain buying anyway..I had a couple of three letter .eu domains, and all I got was emails from companies wanting to buy them with a top budget of like $50...what a joke...
I think .eu is today what mobi will be 2 years from now... useless, unused and a thing of the past

Famous Last Words?
I have a hunch you will be eating them:)

mjreine

Level 5
Legacy Platinum Member
Reaction score
I believe .eu will persist and grow....these arent going away.

.mobi, who actually USES a .mobi on a day to day basis? Mobi will fall flat on its face I believe... Yes some collectors will pay xxx,xxxx for a generic of .mobi

I certainly would not....

binaryman

Level 4
Legacy Platinum Member
Reaction score

.mobi, who actually USES a .mobi on a day to day basis? Mobi will fall flat on its face I believe... Yes some collectors will pay xxx,xxxx for a generic of .mobi

I believe you will fall flat on your face when you wake up in a year or 3 or 4 and see the success .mobi has become. With 4 times more mobile users then Pc users the future is mobile internet. Make no mistake about that. .Mobi has not yet been introduced to the masses out there because content needs to be there first and that is happening more rapidly then it ever did when .com was first introduced. It will be made known to the consumers out there at the right time and with the right ad campaign. Maybe you dont know who the backers are. Go have a look at the official .Mobi site and inform yourself. http://mtld.mobi/ Once .Mobi gets out there it will be phenomenal.
Regards
Fred.

mjnels

Level 8
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score

neither .EU or .MOBI are going away.... fall into obscurity, yes of course its possible.

barely anyone uses a mobi now.... but why do people constantly take what is happening today and apply it to tomorrow?

its a new extention. and this is domain speculation. this is not an excuse, its reality.

people looked at me like i was a dork when i told them i was into the internet in the 90's...... now look, its cool.

taking what *IS* today.... and applying it to tomorrow is retarded.

mjreine

Level 5
Legacy Platinum Member
Reaction score
Binaryman... check out oqo.com My money is they will have a phone version in a year or two tops. When this happens... you have a FULL PC at your fingertips. No mobile OS or mobile phone crap software... you have FULL IE and Firefox. So there will be no need for .mobi

Adios to another junk TLD...and thanks for making my .coms worth even more!

Gerry

Dances With Dogs
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
Why is a umpc or oqo or iPhone the end of .mobi? or even .eu?

Because you don't want .mobi? You don't like .mobi?

What a foolish argument. Then are you also saying this is the death of .eu? That was the original post, the worth and value of .eu.

You see that oqo site? You see that thing that guy is holding in his hands? Can you talk on it? Does it fit in your pocket? Can you afford to buy one for your teenage son and daughter and have them drop it or have their friends steal it?

dimensions

* chassis: rugged magnesium alloy
* size: 5.6"(W) x 3.3"(H) x 1.0"(D)
* weight: 1.0 lb with standard battery (weight may vary based on hardware configuration)

Need some pretty damn big pockets.

Why not say anything about the Samsung q1 or q2? Those UMPC's have been out for a while.

Why are PC and laptop sales down by 60% in Japan falling world wide? Why are phones outselling PC's and laptops 4:1?

Because people want smart phones that will do it all.

My money is they will have a phone version in a year or two tops.

My money is one the makes and models on the market already. In a year or two, the umpc as you just noted will be obsolete. So if oqo does not have something right now, then they are already two years behind.

You seriously need to catch up to the technology game. If you want to put your money on a UMPC type product that just has not caught on and will not catch on, then that's on you.

You see that oqo?

storesplash_070910.jpg

You see that $1299 price (stripped down model) to $2399 price?

You see the broadband charge of $99.00? Then the monthly charge for broadband?

Now how about this?

ocean_horizVert.jpg

or this?

apple%20iphone.jpg

1.jpg

http://www.forbes.com/technology/20...ew_1115coolphone_slide_3.html?thisSpeed=15000
coolphone_2.jpg

coolphone_9.jpg

coolphone_12.jpg

What you are claiming they will come out with in one or two years is already here.

This is a serious good read on the industry, the failures and future of the UMPC (including the OQO), and the overall scope of things.

http://www.tgdaily.com/content/view/31899/118/

Let me know when you dump that money on oqo.

mjreine

Level 5
Legacy Platinum Member
Reaction score
Ive never said the death of .eu will ever happen.. in fact those are very good imho. .mobi though isnt in my book... lets take a different angle at this discussion...

Why use mobi at ALL? Ohh you say... because then I can display html for my users mobile devices... and how do you tell WHICH mobile device they have when they come to your site?

Most programmers will use something similar to browserhawk. To tell the dimensions of the screen. http://www.browserhawk.com/Default.aspx?bhcp=1

Guess what??? surprise! You can use this to display the mobile content to EXACTLY the correct screen size when your phone user, your pda user and any other wierd screen size comes browsing your web page. And the user doesnt have to remember anything other than your companies main .com website.

So again wheres the NEED for .mobi... ? And yes OQO or another similar UMPC provider will put Vista into your next cell phone in a few years... with full OS and a full browser..not the junk mini browsers we use now. Then the only argument is because we can display the correct content on the mini devices...

again, remember browserhawk...or a similar product... which then makes mobi useless once again and in fact MORE of a burden because a company must brand 2 urls... their .com and then push into consumers minds this mobi concept...

uh yeah...good luck with that.

Gerry

Dances With Dogs
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
Ive never said the death of .eu will ever happen.. in fact those are very good imho. .mobi though isnt in my book... lets take a different angle at this discussion...

Why use mobi at ALL? Ohh you say... because then I can display html for my users mobile devices... and how do you tell WHICH mobile device they have when they come to your site?

Most programmers will use something similar to browserhawk. To tell the dimensions of the screen. http://www.browserhawk.com/Default.aspx?bhcp=1

Guess what??? surprise! You can use this to display the mobile content to EXACTLY the correct screen size when your phone user, your pda user and any other wierd screen size comes browsing your web page. And the user doesnt have to remember anything other than your companies main .com website.

So again wheres the NEED for .mobi... ? And yes OQO or another similar UMPC provider will put Vista into your next cell phone in a few years... with full OS and a full browser..not the junk mini browsers we use now. Then the only argument is because we can display the correct content on the mini devices...

again, remember browserhawk...or a similar product... which then makes mobi useless once again and in fact MORE of a burden because a company must brand 2 urls... their .com and then push into consumers minds this mobi concept...

uh yeah...good luck with that.
Did you used to own stock in eToys and are now shifting your loses to OQO?

It's okay if you did not read the link I included.

Surprise! Browserhawk is not the answer. Why do I want to pay upwards of $1295.00 per year for a license and a whopping $895.00 for phone support for up to (gulp) a huge 5 calls?

See tutorials at mTLD for creating a site. SURPRISE! It's free!

Try this...sdca.mobi. Try it on your cell phone, your PC, and your OQO. SURPRISE! Works and looks the same on all of them and the cost for this technology was free.

Look at DNFORUM on you PC, OQO, and cell phone. What do you see? Less and less and less as it shrinks down in size and becomes less functional.

Serioiusly, are you keeping up with latest news, and trends, and global markets?

How many Europeans want Microsoft Windows, Orgami, or Vista on their cell phone? The answer is perhaps close to zero. With court ruling after court ruling in the EU against MS and Apple, do you get the feeling that they are not the darlings of the EU? The same with the Asian market.

Is it any wonder why Google announced the Open Handset Alliance? Google and it's partners heard the consumer loud and clear...we want choices and flexibility. We do not want to pay hidden licensing fees that are passed onto the consumer for Microsoft products.

Is it any wonder why Apple shortly after release opened up the iPhone to outside 3rd party applications and developers? The iPhone was not the best it could be nor fast as it could be as Steve Jobs and company had said it was and planned for. I know developers who are actually programming and creating apps in .mobi for Apple. They are combining the best of both worlds...ease and speed of the applications with Java.

Why are iPhones being unlocked even in Europe? A couple of reasons...people do not want to be tied down like a ball and chain to contracts and want flexibility in apps.

Again, as I often see the case, you are thinking and speaking in English as if that is the only internet and market there is. Do you honestly think and see .com as being the global default? There has been so much talk of the default key on the iPhone being .com which spells the death of .mobi. Yet, not everyone wants .com EXCEPT domainers! The .mobi vs. .com argument is only being played out on the forums and the blogs. SURPRISE! The consumer doesn't give a shit as long as they can get to where they are going. And many will be using .co.uk, .de, .it and are using .jp and .cn. It is called nationalism and ccTLD's.

So the default on smartphones may actually be a dumb move and one only marketed to certain markets. Believe it or not, there are keyboards and smartphones with not a single English character or letter on them.

More of a burden to brand two URL's? How difficult is that, exactly. I have website.com and on website.com I include a snippet...SEE US ON YOUR MOBILE AT WEBSITE.MOBI! Pretty damn tough.

You might want to ask how much of a burden it was of Bank of America to brand and market their .mobi. Or, you can ask the likes of Wachovia how much of a burden it is to play catch up to Bank of America and all the added expense it will take to even compete with someone who has well branded their mobile expense months before Wachovia even thought about it.

I don't see .mobi being useless at all. If in fact I am right and I have 100% conviction that I am, I see .mobi as being the common thread as a global TLD to tie in all the gTLD's and ccTLD's. Nothing will say mobile content and mobile accessible connectivity like .mobi in any language.

What I do see as being useless is the notion of the .com being the global default, Microsoft Vista being a viable option to smartphone OS, OQO and any UMPC replacing the cell phones, people lining up to buy BrowserHawk or any other software to create something that is free, and people paying licensing fees to content or applications when they are free. None of those are going to happen.

I would like to tell you time will prove me out. But there is not even a matter of time to consider. Look around you, open your eyes, read and study market and trends and quit being so narrow minded. Yes, take a look from a different angle. I couldn't agree more.

If you would take the time to read that one link that I provided, it may well answer all your questions and further validate all my points.

If you really want to know what is going to be hot here in the states, take a look at what many are monitoring and studying very closely called the "japanese schoolgirl trends". These kids are so tech savvy and gadget minded. (By the way, all major computer manufacturers have recently seen PC and Laptop sales in Japan drop by 60% this year. Even Japanese based companies like sony are no longer going to be marketing their PC's and Laptops to Japan as there is no market. What's replacing them? Well, it ain't the UMPC or OQO).

I am sorry if you actually did own stock in eToys. But I am equally sorry if you own stock in OQO or BrowserHawk. Or Remington Typewriters.

binaryman

Level 4
Legacy Platinum Member
Reaction score
Great Post DocCom. I am with your vision all the way. It's amazing how brickbrained some people are when it comes to .Mobi:lol:

Gerry

Dances With Dogs
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
Regarding .eu:

Many europeans will tell you it was bad timing for the most part. Just when co.uk, .de, .at, and many other popular ccTLD's were going strong or trying to gain identity and recognition, along comes .eu.

But the real fiasco was the landrush and the bogus registrars. The governing body EUrid was very inept from the get go and allowed TM domains to be registered by non TM holders. Or, by many accounts, there are still many TM domains STILL not awarded due to too many applicants for the same domain.

But what really got this off on a bad start is the front companies set up as registrars. Hundreds of thousands of names were regged by about 12 non-legal registants set up here in the states. I believe 3 people had been arrested in the UK and something like 40,000 domains seized by EUrid. It is difficult to prosecute those outside the EU.

But with all the bad press it is hard to view this in a positive light. I have seen some sites as .eu but not many.

Mostly, I think we are looking at tremendously proud countries and natives who are into their own culture and identity. And many are not too crazy of the EU as a governing entity.

And .asia? There was a thread on this forum by many of our Asian members who felt it was to the point of almost being offensive. And I would have to agree.

Not only is it offensive to some, but the question remains, why? With that same pride I was referring to with the .eu, pride in culture and identity is behind .jp, .cn, and many others.

Plus, with the renewed push and trials for IDN, it makes you wonder what is the point of continued releases as a "catch all" type of domain. Ask many Europeans and Asians, and they do not want to be categorized as such.

So are .eu's worthless? There will be the exceptions to the rule. But until EUrid gains the respect of its own market, it certainly has a tremendous amount of work to do to gain that respect of a nearly 2 year old domain. And has taught many tld's and registries how not to handle a landrush.

That's my 4 cents. Keep the change.

but are one word generics worthless?
I would think it would be dependent upon the language. The larger the language usage the better chances of success, I would think.

Keep in mind that languages like Spanish and Portuguese may have mass appeal. But the bulk of those native speakers are not in Spain or Portugal which would mean a less likelihood of actually using .eu.

Status
Not open for further replies.

The Rule #1

Do not insult any other member. Be polite and do business. Thank you!

Sedo - it.com Premiums

IT.com

Premium Members

AucDom
UKBackorder
Be a Squirrel
MariaBuy

Our Mods' Businesses

URL Shortener
UrlPick.com

*the exceptional businesses of our esteemed moderators

Top Bottom