• Welcome to DNForum.com - Domain Investor Forum, Free Domain Marketplace and a community for 45+ domain pros
    If you are new to domains and looking to buy, sell and learn about domains then you have come to the right place. DNForum is the oldest global domain name community on the internet and continues to grow every day. There are over 45,000 domainers on DNForum doing everything from buying domains, selling domains, using our free in-house built tools, learning about domains and discussing domains. Take a minute and Register.

social security #

Status
Not open for further replies.

nrmillions

DNF Regular
Legacy Exclusive Member
Joined
Apr 6, 2006
Messages
1,026
Reaction score
1
Hi, I might sound like an idiot in here for not knowing about this, but I just noticed that my social security # and everyone else who I talked to has their social security # registered in the .us extension. Did the government register everyones SS# in the entire country?
 
mine is NOT REGISTERED with and without hyphens.
 
Hmmm...

It appears to be true. First that I have heard of it. Perhaps all nine digit #'s are unregisterable. I even checked 000000006.us, and it is not available. I doubt that this is someone's social security number. The .com is available though.
 
I just checked my SS#, and all of them are free to reg.
 
scratch that, just checked bia enom..and sure as shit.. my SSN is registered in .us. however, who9is comes back as:

Domain Status Message:
Domain is available.

Whois Record
Not Available
 
One should check via www.whois.us (authoritative for .us).

Reserved Name Rules:

All domains of any length beginning with 18XX or 1-8XX or 8XX
where X is any number from 0 to 9 inclusive.

All domains beginning with NXX or 1NXX or 1-NXX followed by exactly seven numbers not including hyphens,where N is any number from 2 to 9 inclusive and X is any number from 0 to 9 inclusive.

All domains beginning with XXXXX where X is any number from 0 to 9 inclusive.
Example of reserved domains:

1800abc.us (rule #1)
812abc-def.us (rule #1)
1-805-999-9999.us (rule #1)
212-999-9999.us (rule #2)
19009998888.us (rule #2)
1-212---1-2-3-4-5-6-7--.us (rule #2)
20176.us (rule #3)
90210-Melrose.us (rule #3)

Since SSN domains would all begin with 5 digits in a row, they would violate rule #3, and are thus can't be registered.
 
I checked enom as well, and my SS# is infact taken in the .us as well.

Very odd I would think, I see no use for the USA gov't to want them.

edited In:

Ok I just seen post above, and know why they are taken. I wonder why they don't let them be regged ?
 
In these times of ID theft I would not disclose my SSN unless I have to.
Anyway I would never display that kind of private info so prominently as in a domain name :greenshy:
 
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom