Enjoy unlimited access to all forum features for FREE! Optional upgrade available for extra perks.
Domain summit 2024

Sold name, now Sedo wants to change Buyer

Status
Not open for further replies.

audubon

Level 3
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
After negotiating with a buyer on Sedo, I sold a
domain name at the end of June. Nothing is heard from the
buyer for two weeks. Buyer then requests invoice, which I
create and upload. No response for another two weeks.
Now Sedo wants to change the name and address of the
buyer. (Buyer has yet to submit payment.)
What could be going on here?

Biggie

DNForum Moderator
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
did you call them to get explanation?

Theo

Account Terminated
Reaction score
Without payment, never ever upload an invoice or push the domain.

angel69

Level 7
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
Sedo is pretty straightlaced to think something fishy is going on, such as a marketplace finding a 2nd buyer who'll pay more and just changing who the buyer will be. It may be a simple mix-up of the info as to who bought the name although it's unusual. It may also be the buyer operates under an LLC or business entity and wants the buyer's info on the WhoIs, all paperwork, etc to reflect that. Under no circumstances should you unlock the domain or submit its authcode to Sedo (or push it to anyone, including Sedo) unless/until Sedo has cleared the funds and has told you this in writing. There's a clear message they send you that the funds have cleared and you can now surrender the domain.

And as was also mentioned, asking for an invoice before the deal is over is not how things are usually done. The buyer can ask for a bill from you, except Sedo already sent him a bill in pdf when they requested his payment. The only times the buyer has asked for an invoice from me, I've done it only after the transfer of the domain has occurred and payment has more than cleared with Sedo. It could simply be your transfer agent is a lousy one and doesn't know what he's doing. I have at least two names of people like this at Sedo and I bet they're still employed there. Ask your rep in writing what the hell is going on, simple.

After negotiating with a buyer on Sedo, I sold a domain name at the end of June. Nothing is heard from the buyer for two weeks. Buyer then requests invoice, which I create and upload. No response for another two weeks. Now Sedo wants to change the name and address of the buyer. (Buyer has yet to submit payment.) What could be going on here?

Gerry

Dances With Dogs
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
Changing name may simply be the person opening an account at your registrar or a different registrar. Nothing unusual about that. Sometimes when a person opens an account at Sedo, it may be under their name or a company name and later will amend the details. You can do this in your own Sedo account.

As for invoicing, I've had to do this on Sedo several times. The explanation to me was if that is one of the conditions of the buyer, then sedo will do it.

Before posting the invoice, break down costs to reflect Sedo's commission and your net gain. You do not want to be accountable for the entire sum.

My sense is that you have sold a domain to an end user and a buisiness. Each time I have had to do this at sedo, that was the case. In many businesses of large(r) size, there are often many departments that have their hands on the process...accounting, vice president, marketing, etc. I recently made a large sale that dragged on for weeks because of the processes and sign-offs of various dept. heads.

There is nothing abnormal about sending an invoice prior to payment and often times the invoice acts as a means to bill someone for the total amount due.

Lastly...yes. Call Sedo if you have concerns.

audubon

Level 3
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
Thanks. The buyer finally submitted payment. Sedo then replied that the buyer is having trouble initiating the transfer due to an "invalid" auth code. I generated and uploaded a new auth code (though there was nothing wrong with the original one) and received a reply that the new auth code doesn't work, either. Sedo now requests that the admin-c email address be changed to [email protected].

This has been my most interesting Sedo domain sale yet.

Last edited:

afloat.com

Level 8
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
There is nothing abnormal about sending an invoice prior to payment and often times the invoice acts as a means to bill someone for the total amount due.

Exactly, don't confuse a tax invoice with a receipt. An invoice is just a request for payment and is normally issued before payment.

Status
Not open for further replies.

The Rule #1

Do not insult any other member. Be polite and do business. Thank you!

Sedo - it.com Premiums

IT.com

Premium Members

AucDom
UKBackorder
Be a Squirrel
MariaBuy

Our Mods' Businesses

UrlPick.com
URL Shortener

*the exceptional businesses of our esteemed moderators

Top Bottom