Enjoy unlimited access to all forum features for FREE! Optional upgrade available for extra perks.
Domain summit 2024

Some secrets to selling domains over 100k - General Findings

Status
Not open for further replies.

A D

Level 14
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
I thought I would do a post to let you know about domains I have sold for over 100k. Not the names or the amounts because that's the unimportant part.

The thing that I have found is that the names that sell for over 100k for me have always been names I have bought direct from end users.

This still holds true today.

My point is to tell you to keep pursuing high end generics at low end user prices.

Buy low and sell high, that's no secret but sometimes you need to buy high to sell high and that's what a lot of people don't get.

You need to spend money to make money.
Here are some real examples that I am not sure most would have pulled the trigger on.

Bought one for 50k and flipped 4 years later for 400k.
Bought one for 36k and flipped 1 year later for 1.2 million.
Bought one for 24k and flipped it 3 years later for 125k.

I am not sure most of you would have thought those names were worth what I paid for them at the time. One of them I bought for potential the other two were just a fluke because I liked them and they paid off.

So what I am saying is two things:

Don't waste too much time on drop lists, the big sales will come from names you get off end users.

Don't be afraid to spend money to make money. There are still lots of great domains that can be had for under 20k that can be flipped for over 100k but you may have to wait a couple years.

I paid $8,500 today for a name that may only be worth 2-3k now, but 4 years from now will probably be over 100k+.

It is better to have 10 great names than 10,000 ok names.

-=DCG=-

jaydub

Level 10
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score

hugegrowth

Level 10
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
when you say you've bought from end users, what does that mean? they had a domain for a business that failed and wanted to sell it? if they were an end user weren't they using the domain?

thanks for the post, lots to think about there.

A D

Level 14
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
when you say you've bought from end users, what does that mean? they had a domain for a business that failed and wanted to sell it?

It means I looked up who owned phrases.com via whois and then emailed them that I wanted to buy the domain.

I did not go through any auction house like Sedo ever to secure premium domains.

-=DCG=-

vikrantjain22

Vik
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
The thing that I have found is that the names that sell for over 100k for me have always been names I have bought direct from end users.

This still holds true today.

My point is to tell you to keep pursuing high end generics at low end user prices.

Buy low and sell high, that's no secret but sometimes you need to buy high to sell high and that's what a lot of people don't get.

You need to spend money to make money.

It is better to have 10 great names than 10,000 ok names.

-=DCG=-

Very True in the high end of domain business. I observed this and implemented the same strategy to buy an excellent generic name from an end user recently for mid xx,xxx and hope to flip it for a nice sum in a few years from now.
Generics will always be in demand to the end user market and that's where the big money is.
Thanks for the excellent piece of advise and sharing your experience.

stewie

DNF Member
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score

Status
Not open for further replies.

The Rule #1

Do not insult any other member. Be polite and do business. Thank you!

Sedo - it.com Premiums

IT.com

Premium Members

AucDom
UKBackorder
Be a Squirrel
MariaBuy

New Threads

Our Mods' Businesses

UrlPick.com
URL Shortener

*the exceptional businesses of our esteemed moderators