Enjoy unlimited access to all forum features for FREE! Optional upgrade available for extra perks.
Domain summit 2024

Something fishy at expire fish

Status
Not open for further replies.

maxheadroom

Level 3
Legacy Gold Member
Reaction score
I was watching a domain and had it registered with expirefish. (also snap).

the name expired and I did a whois on it, and it shows Registerfly as the owner (the registration arm of expire fish), just like all the other names I bought via the expire fish system. All other info (name, address, phone, email, etc are blank.)

But the name is NOT in my account and expire fish/registerfly have not returned my emails.

Did I just get hosed?

adoptabledomains

Level 7
Legacy Platinum Member
Reaction score
I've had various inconsistent results there. I have grabbed a few names there. some come into my account quickly, some take many days. Sometimes they start out with either Enom or Registerfly as the owner until they end up in my account. They have always eventually ended up okay so far.

I am surprised that Expirefish got the name over snapnames. I've always seen snapnames win when both were used since expirefish checks less frequently and with only one registrar.

maxheadroom

Level 3
Legacy Gold Member
Reaction score
So was I. But anything can happen in this world.

bigdave

Level 3
Legacy Platinum Member
Reaction score
Originally posted by maxheadroom
I was watching a domain and had it registered with expirefish. (also snap).

the name expired and I did a whois on it, and it shows Registerfly as the owner (the registration arm of expire fish), just like all the other names I bought via the expire fish system. All other info (name, address, phone, email, etc are blank.)

But the name is NOT in my account and expire fish/registerfly have not returned my emails.

Did I just get hosed?

Go check your Expirefish account information and it should show if it thinks it got the name for you.

BD

maxheadroom

Level 3
Legacy Gold Member
Reaction score
Originally posted by bigdave

Go check your Expirefish account information and it should show if it thinks it got the name for you.

BD

Do you mean is it in my account? No, it's not. It's not in the list of caught names either. And they didn't send an email notification. The only reason I know is that since i had it in both snap and expirefish, snap notified me of the change. So I checked and saw registerfly as the registrant... but nothing else.

bigdave

Level 3
Legacy Platinum Member
Reaction score

Do you mean is it in my account? No, it's not. It's not in the list of caught names either. And they didn't send an email notification. The only reason I know is that since i had it in both snap and expirefish, snap notified me of the change. So I checked and saw registerfly as the registrant... but nothing else.

Sorry, my bad. Have you tried using the whois at registerfly? The easiest way there is to try to register it, then click on the "xxx is taken" link.

You could also try the live chat support at registerfly. I've had mixed results with that.

I assume by your reference to snap is that you had a snapshot monitor on it, and nobody had a Snapback on the name?

good luck,
BD

maxheadroom

Level 3
Legacy Gold Member
Reaction score

Sorry, my bad. Have you tried using the whois at registerfly? The easiest way there is to try to register it, then click on the "xxx is taken" link.

You could also try the live chat support at registerfly. I've had mixed results with that.

I assume by your reference to snap is that you had a snapshot monitor on it, and nobody had a Snapback on the name?

good luck,
BD

Using a whois at RF, I get:

----
Registration Service Provided By: RegisterFly.com
Visit: http://www.RegisterFly.com
Registrant Contact:

, -
US

-------

precisely. NO name, no address, no email, no phone number. Only US for the country. This is another reason I'm a bit concerned. Because I can't even contact anyone on it.

I too have had mixed results with their online help. I was just being patient, figuing, like others have said, eventually it'll make it to my account. However, it's been weeks now.

As for snap, I had a snapback on it as well as expirefish. Both. Just for some reason Expirefish got it over snap.

maxheadroom

Level 3
Legacy Gold Member
Reaction score
I'm going to name the name, cause I'd like others to be witness to this.

The name in question is gamecube-xtreme.com

I "spoke" (via live chat) with a person at registerfly and after a little dancing around, they gave me an email address of tim.shor. I'm going to email him now. But I just wanted to let folks know..... Just in case.

bigdave

Level 3
Legacy Platinum Member
Reaction score
The name in question is gamecube-xtreme.com

I "spoke" (via live chat) with a person at registerfly and after a little dancing around, they gave me an email address of tim.shor. I'm going to email him now. But I just wanted to let folks know..... Just in case.

I noted this in the whois information:
Start of registration: 2002-09-01 00:00:00
Registered through: 2003-09-01 00:00:00

Has this been going on for over a month?

In any event, Tim Shor should help you get it sorted out. I had a billing problem this past summer, and he got it handled.

Take care,
BD

maxheadroom

Level 3
Legacy Gold Member
Reaction score

I noted this in the whois information:
Start of registration: 2002-09-01 00:00:00
Registered through: 2003-09-01 00:00:00

Has this been going on for over a month?

In any event, Tim Shor should help you get it sorted out. I had a billing problem this past summer, and he got it handled.

Take care,
BD

Thanks BD. Yes, I guess it's been a month. Time sure goes by quickly... :)

RMF

Level 8
Legacy Platinum Member
Reaction score
I don't use them anymore because of the problems I've had with them in the past.

Many times I would have names in my list, yet someone else in RegisterFly would get them. That always looked fishy. Other times, they would be so slow at registering domains that a name could be available for a day or two before they even attempted to register it.

Maybe expirefish is better now. Maybe one day i'll try them again.

RMF

maxheadroom

Level 3
Legacy Gold Member
Reaction score
Originally posted by RMF
I don't use them anymore because of the problems I've had with them in the past.

Many times I would have names in my list, yet someone else in RegisterFly would get them. That always looked fishy.

Well that's just it. When we add a name to the list, it will not take it if any other person is monitoring that name. Just one person per name. So if it takes the name, then no one else is monitoring that name. So if it shows up at Registerfly, that means either it should be ours, or.... someone is playing a little game.

Let's get to the brass tacks. The whole reason we are using this is because the name has some value. So we do the work to find the name, attempt to use their service to register it, and then they get it and use it? Who is using who here? :confused:

buddy

DNF Regular
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
Max, have you checked the whois for the domain now? It is showing all the data now. It seems to have been registered to:

Tyrell International
Sergey Demin

Is that you?

Thanks!

maxheadroom

Level 3
Legacy Gold Member
Reaction score
No, that's not me. Right after I emailed Tim, he replyed and said they contacted the owner and had them update the information.

He didn't explain why I was allowed to monitor the domain, but then when it expired, someone else got it.

Sheva

Level 7
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
<<<<<No, that's not me. Right after I emailed Tim, he replyed and said they contacted the owner and had them update the information.

He didn't explain why I was allowed to monitor the domain, but then when it expired, someone else got it.>>>>.

Simple, because they get more money.....

Status
Not open for further replies.

The Rule #1

Do not insult any other member. Be polite and do business. Thank you!

Sedo - it.com Premiums

IT.com

Premium Members

AucDom
UKBackorder
Be a Squirrel
MariaBuy

New Threads

Our Mods' Businesses

URL Shortener
UrlPick.com

*the exceptional businesses of our esteemed moderators