• Welcome to DNForum.com - Domain Investor Forum, Free Domain Marketplace and a community for 45+ domain pros
    If you are new to domains and looking to buy, sell and learn about domains then you have come to the right place. DNForum is the oldest global domain name community on the internet and continues to grow every day. There are over 45,000 domainers on DNForum doing everything from buying domains, selling domains, using our free in-house built tools, learning about domains and discussing domains. Take a minute and Register.

Starting a forum.

Status
Not open for further replies.
vbulletin if you have the $160 to spend.

Or a leased for 85


One thing I dislike about vB , is that you can't transfer a license out for 6 months if you havent had it for that long.. I have an owned license just sitting there with no use for it at all.
 
stevey said:
start off with phpbb and see how it goes, as your forum grows you can always upgrade to VB if you wanted

I'm with Stevey on this one. Everyone's so quick to chip in with vB, but spending $160 on a forum that might not even take off, (let's face it, most don't), that's a waste of money. I have at least a dozen forums online, and I'm not about to chuck a grand or two at them unless it pays off!

PhpBB is more than adequate for a small-to-mid sized forum, and if you forum starts earning you more than $160 per year, then you can splash out on vB licenses.

Just my $0.02...
 
IMO, the two major things against phpBB are the security risks and its perceived inefficiencies when it comes to server resources.
 
I would say VB without a doubt. It's what I use.. But is it worth forking out for the license for a new forum that might not even take off?
Use a free forum software first (phpbb or SMF), and if it does become successful then consider vBulletin.. They have scripts to convert most forum databases to vBulletin so members and posts etc can be retained if you decide to switch..
 
well.. I choose the vBulletin license because from my point of view having a vBulletin forum sends a message to your visitors: "I invested money in this forum, the forum is here to stay".

Given that the forum is a domain forum in my own language I think that it is important to send this message
 
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom