Enjoy unlimited access to all forum features for FREE! Optional upgrade available for extra perks.
Domain summit 2024

closed StockForums.com - Looking for Appraisals

This thread has been closed by the original author or DNF staff member.
Status
Not open for further replies.

rngrdanny22

Level 5
Legacy Platinum Member
Reaction score
Hey guys,

Looking for appraisals on StockForums.com. Bought the domain about a year ago for the development potential, but haven't gotten around to it yet. What do you think the domain is worth as is and a potential value developed (if possible).

Thanks!

rr4111

Level 3
Legacy Platinum Member
Reaction score
I would develop it....spend a couple of days, and have a site up and running, sell affiliate ads, text links, etc. and earn passive income. You can always sell the developed site in the future if you wish to. To get more specific ideas, PM me.

rngrdanny22

Level 5
Legacy Platinum Member
Reaction score
undeveloped = reg fee

dont waste anymore money on it, try to flip it or drop it. No value at all.

Ummm, no offense, but I have to disagree with that. Is there a reasoning behind your evaluation?

Recent .com "Forum" sales (source: www.dnsaleprice.com):

WPForum
com
$4,988
Dec 11
AfternicDLS
N
N

DNJournal
PregnancyForum
com
$8,750
Nov 11
Moniker/SnapNames
N
N

DNJournal
TheOpenForum
com
$2,388
Aug 11
AfternicDLS
N
N

DNJournal
VietnamTravelForum
com
$2,088
Aug 11
AfternicDLS
N
N

DNJournal
LadiesForum
com
$3,488
Aug 11
AfternicDLS
N
N

DNJournal
TennisForum
com
$7,934
Aug 11
Sedo
N
N

Sedo
ConsoleForums
com
$2,000
Jul 11
AfternicDLS
N
N

DNJournal

This one HAS to be better than a couple of those...

Last edited:

Ben42

Level 3
Legacy Platinum Member
Reaction score
I ran a stock forum from 2005-2008 that I started from scratch and then sold. I will say it can be very lucrative, and the clicks pay well, but it is a LOT of work and initial investment to get it going. There is quite a bit of competition and something is needed to set you apart.

This name does have value into the mid xxx reseller, more if you find someone who loves investing willing to put in the time to develop.

rr4111

Level 3
Legacy Platinum Member
Reaction score
Ummm, no offense, but I have to disagree with that. Is there a reasoning behind your evaluation?

Recent .com "Forum" sales (source: www.dnsaleprice.com):

WPForumcom$4,988Dec 11AfternicDLS27NNDNJournal
PregnancyForumcom$8,750Nov 11Moniker/SnapNames214NNDNJournal
TheOpenForumcom$2,388Aug 11AfternicDLS312NNDNJournal
VietnamTravelForumcom$2,088Aug 11AfternicDLS318NNDNJournal
LadiesForumcom$3,488Aug 11AfternicDLS211NNDNJournal
TennisForumcom$7,934Aug 11Sedo211NNSedo
ConsoleForumscom$2,000Jul 11AfternicDLS213NNDNJournal

This one HAS to be better than a couple of those...

I agree...it is def worth more than 'reg' fee. In fact, a lot more.

rngrdanny22

Level 5
Legacy Platinum Member
Reaction score
Thanks everyone for your assessments! Keep them coming!

I ran a stock forum from 2005-2008 that I started from scratch and then sold. I will say it can be very lucrative, and the clicks pay well, but it is a LOT of work and initial investment to get it going. There is quite a bit of competition and something is needed to set you apart.

This name does have value into the mid xxx reseller, more if you find someone who loves investing willing to put in the time to develop.

Really? Are you able to share the site/domain that you previously ran?

Are there any affiliates in the financial industry that someone could recommend? Do any of the trading companies (E-Trade, TD Ameritrade, etc) offer an affiliate program?

rr4111

Level 3
Legacy Platinum Member
Reaction score
I think all those companies do.

Last edited:

james2002

Buying Premium Domains
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
xxx reseller. x,xxx to end users.

DN BROKER

Level 10
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
No offense, if you ask for an appraisal then don't be offended if someone doesn't value your domain the price tag you prefer. A domains value is based on how much the buyer would pay.

Congrats on eHot for offering you $700, I would sell it and take the money and buy yourself a .com that does not require hours of development and hours of marketing to result in a return that is high risk. StockForum.com has value, StockForums.com has lesser value and in my opinion looking at the results on google for STOCK FORUMS I see not much hope undeveloped. Their is always a buyer and their is always a chance for you to succeed with a bit of luck! For future reference don't take it to heart rather accept peoples opinion. I look at your domain and ask myself how quickly can I flip it? Answer, HIGH RISK for that reason a domain like yours undeveloped has a reg fee value to a end user who doesn't understand much about the aftermarket of domain sales. Like I said $700 is a very good offer, I would take it.

Everyone values domains in $XXXX for end users - Majority of end users are small business and your lucky if you sell your domain for $25-$500. 10 years ago I would value your domain higher but in today's market it's hard to flip a domain for $XXXX.

Last edited:

rngrdanny22

Level 5
Legacy Platinum Member
Reaction score
Thank you for explaining your evaluation. I don't plan to flip this domain in the short term. As of now, I'm looking to get a more professional logo and spend the time/money to develop the site.

As for Google, there is quite a bit of competition. The term "stock forums" is searched 246,000 times each month as opposed to "stock forum" which receives only 74,000 searches. Why do you put more value on "StockForum.com" instead of "StockForums.com"? If I can get the site to score highly for these two search terms, the traffic will come. Having them stay, contribute, and come back is another thing. This isn't my first rodeo with a forum and I know some of what it takes to run a successful site. However, I could always learn more.

As for now, I put far more stock (sorry for the pun) in the future developed value. Is there a standard multiple of earnings used to figure out value?

For those that have run similar sites, what did you do to monetize traffic? Did you use ads, affiliates, or both? What were your operating costs like (hosting, advertising, etc)? If you are able to discuss, what type of profits were made?

james2002

Buying Premium Domains
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
Thank you for explaining your evaluation. I don't plan to flip this domain in the short term. As of now, I'm looking to get a more professional logo and spend the time/money to develop the site.

As for Google, there is quite a bit of competition. The term "stock forums" is searched 246,000 times each month as opposed to "stock forum" which receives only 74,000 searches. Why do you put more value on "StockForum.com" instead of "StockForums.com"? If I can get the site to score highly for these two search terms, the traffic will come. Having them stay, contribute, and come back is another thing. This isn't my first rodeo with a forum and I know some of what it takes to run a successful site. However, I could always learn more.

As for now, I put far more stock (sorry for the pun) in the future developed value. Is there a standard multiple of earnings used to figure out value?

For those that have run similar sites, what did you do to monetize traffic? Did you use ads, affiliates, or both? What were your operating costs like (hosting, advertising, etc)? If you are able to discuss, what type of profits were made?

I think stockforum.com is more valuable. Use EXACT search and you would see "stock forum" more searched. This domain is worth xxx to resellers at anytime.

zuriko

DNF Newbie
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score

WhoDatDog

Level 8
Legacy Gold Member
Reaction score
Decent enough, and definitely a good example of a name that lends itself to development. Because it is in the finance and stock category, that makes this a good name, since tons of transactions take place daily (unlike something like PoetryForums.com).

Though the singular seems better, and usually is so in most all cases, the plural that you have makes sense in a way, too. If you are going down the development route, you could create a site with links to numerous stock forums, and charge advertising dollars. At that point you have a job, though. As a pure name it is worth mid XXX to low X,XXX. Sure, you could run into someone looking to develop a name like this, and maybe they would pay you 5K, but that doesn't make the name worth that, since you have to factor in the odds of getting the 5K.

But it is the type of name you probably want to keep in the vault for a few years and see if you can get lucky with. If you have enough decent names like this you end up getting occasional surprises and some good sales.

Status
Not open for further replies.

The Rule #1

Do not insult any other member. Be polite and do business. Thank you!

Sedo - it.com Premiums

IT.com

Premium Members

AucDom
UKBackorder
Be a Squirrel
MariaBuy

Our Mods' Businesses

UrlPick.com
URL Shortener

*the exceptional businesses of our esteemed moderators

Top Bottom