Enjoy unlimited access to all forum features for FREE! Optional upgrade available for extra perks.
Domain summit 2024

cctld TBR - February 20th, 2013

Status
Not open for further replies.

msn

Level 8
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
From a-jcontracting to zsautozone, there is something for everyone this week.

urlurl

Level 8
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
who are the better at catching .ca's these days, is pool still doing it?

katherine

Country hopper
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
Pool got one for us recently (December).

msn

Level 8
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
MyID has the most RAR tags, and grabbing domains in TBR is their main profit centre, so they tend to make sure they do not miss the TBR, unlike Pool, but when Pool wants something, they seem to get it. Anyone else is clever or lucky for a shot at the top ten slots.

COR

Level 3
Legacy Platinum Member
Reaction score
MyID has the most RAR tags, and grabbing domains in TBR is their main profit centre, so they tend to make sure they do not miss the TBR, unlike Pool, but when Pool wants something, they seem to get it. Anyone else is clever or lucky for a shot at the top ten slots.

Actually that is not correct based on what I found while going over the stats. Pool has by far the largest number of registrars, more than double (if not triple) that of MyID (and others). MyID, fastweb, and sibername have similar number of registrars and this number accordingly has less of an impact.

I agree that Pool has many things going on and so they don't seem to focus much on TBR. Whatever they get is probably due to their sheer number of registrars. It's mostly an automated system almost completely hands off. That's why anytime there is a small change like daytime savings they tank badly.

I believe however that lots of tweaking happens with fastweb, myid, and sibername and it's a brutal game where literally a fraction of a millisecond can make a lot of difference. So luck has a role to play as well.

I also believe that any registrar that knows what it's doing can land in top 3. In the end, only one registrar can be at a certain position in a particular week and who that registrar is has no bearing on how many other registrars that same provider has. They don't have pull power. So I again agree that one has to be both clever and lucky.

That's why observing results over a long period of time is a far better indicator of who is #1 in this TBR game. Luck factor tends to not be so important when tallying results over a year or so.

msn

Level 8
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
Actually that is not correct based on what I found while going over the stats. Pool has by far the largest number of registrars, more than double (if not triple) that of MyID (and others). MyID, fastweb, and sibername have similar number of registrars and this number accordingly has less of an impact.

I agree that Pool has many things going on and so they don't seem to focus much on TBR. Whatever they get is probably due to their sheer number of registrars. It's mostly an automated system almost completely hands off. That's why anytime there is a small change like daytime savings they tank badly.

I believe however that lots of tweaking happens with fastweb, myid, and sibername and it's a brutal game where literally a fraction of a millisecond can make a lot of difference. So luck has a role to play as well.

I also believe that any registrar that knows what it's doing can land in top 3. In the end, only one registrar can be at a certain position in a particular week and who that registrar is has no bearing on how many other registrars that same provider has. They don't have pull power. So I again agree that one has to be both clever and lucky.

That's why observing results over a long period of time is a far better indicator of who is #1 in this TBR game. Luck factor tends to not be so important when tallying results over a year or so.

How many RAR tags Pool has is in question. It is well known they closed down dozens of ICANN domain registrars last month, and it is also well known that they sometimes miss the TBR completely.

MyID on the other hand runs a big sales site where they sell domains they acquired, and domains for people who list their own domains, so they have a domain name shopping mall to fill, and more than just a handful of RARs with which to do it.

It was also known that one RAR tried fairly aggressive tactics to try to flood the TBR system, showing CIRA that the system was not perfect, which led to changes in how the TBR was conducted. Some techniques used by some RARs, especially regarding timing the TBR drop, leave them in a better position with their TBR registrations than other registrars.

If you want to do something very interesting, look at the top 25 domains each week and to whom they are registered a year later; then you will really learn what is happening.

Spex

Level 6
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
It was also known that one RAR tried fairly aggressive tactics to try to flood the TBR system, showing CIRA that the system was not perfect, which led to changes in how the TBR was conducted. Some techniques used by some RARs, especially regarding timing the TBR drop, leave them in a better position with their TBR registrations than other registrars.

Interesting...any details?

DOTCA

Level 6
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
I wish I have the patience to monitor all this.. but certainly have other things on my plate..any examples you could throw out which could be helpful??

Status
Not open for further replies.

The Rule #1

Do not insult any other member. Be polite and do business. Thank you!

Sedo - it.com Premiums

IT.com

Premium Members

AucDom
UKBackorder
Be a Squirrel
MariaBuy

New Threads

Our Mods' Businesses

URL Shortener
UrlPick.com

*the exceptional businesses of our esteemed moderators