Enjoy unlimited access to all forum features for FREE! Optional upgrade available for extra perks.
Domain summit 2024

cctld TBR- Nov 2nd, 2011

Status
Not open for further replies.

DOTCA

Level 6
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
Let me get started this week.. So it is 4516 domains this week. I see all numbers and alphabets well represented in the list. Have not gone through the list to make any comments, but should be interesting to see how it would turn out to be.

msn

Level 8
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
Anyone, anyone?

[video=youtube;f4zyjLyBp64]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=f4zyjLyBp64[/video]

Maxwell

Formerly known as grcorp.
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
Anyone, anyone?

[video=youtube;f4zyjLyBp64]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=f4zyjLyBp64[/video]

As it appears, bueller.ca is taken. Which seems rather strange, since I was recently able to hand reg a couple of surname .ca's of names I had actually heard of.

As usual, I'll wait until after the auctions to reveal all my picks.

This is definitely an above-average week. One significant TM name. However, I'm still debating whether to go after it or not.

I would say that a rather controversial domain this week is "paki". As I understand this to be a derogatory term, I have no intention of registering it.

Though this would certainly be an interesting domain to be picked up by a member of the Pakistani community to create somewhat of a news site on. I just don't think I'd get taken too seriously developing this name out as a white Jewish guy ;)

Surprisingly, no real estate domains which fell under the "fantastic" category. There were several address domains beginning with numbers. A few looked interesting, but I'll wait until TBR is over and hand reg those.

Anybody else wish to share their take on this week's TBR?

urlurl

Level 8
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
What is the proper way of saying a person is from Pakistan - is it Pakistanian?

Maxwell

Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
What is the proper way of saying a person is from Pakistan - is it Pakistanian?

According to Wikipedia, the correct term is "Pakistani".

Though I've found no pattern within the usage of suffixes in demonyms from one country to the next.

msn

Level 8
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
It seems that we have several hundred more domains due to the promotion last month and so we were not seriously looking at the TBR this week until the appearance of your sunny outlook.

While one really would not want to be answerable for the benchwork, some chieftains may determine that the existing ferocious grandmaster deserves more homages than intercultural jest of the kinds many lowlifes of marketization have nabbed through oblique passing!

Maxwell

Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
It seems that we have several hundred more domains due to the promotion last month and so we were not seriously looking at the TBR this week until the appearance of your sunny outlook.

While one really would not want to be answerable for the benchwork, some chieftains may determine that the existing ferocious grandmaster deserves more homages than intercultural jest of the kinds many lowlifes of marketization have nabbed through oblique passing!

I was reading this on my blackberry, and the italics didn't show. When I saw that last paragraph, I thought to myself, "what is he talking about?".

Then when I saw the italics, I knew what you had meant :)

Only one that had slipped my view is Oblique. None of the others do anything for me. And Oblique is far from being a "tooth and nail" in my case.

---------- Post added at 12:28 AM ---------- Previous post was at 12:27 AM ----------

Also, is anybody noticing that something is the matter with myid and burmac? Can't seem to place backorders there.

DOTCA

Level 6
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
I was reading this on my blackberry, and the italics didn't show. When I saw that last paragraph, I thought to myself, "what is he talking about?".

Then when I saw the italics, I knew what you had meant :)

Is it time to embrace an Apple??

msn

Level 8
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
[/COLOR]Also, is anybody noticing that something is the matter with myid and burmac? Can't seem to place backorders there.

Was it after 3:00 PM?

Maxwell

Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
Was it after 3:00 PM?

3:00 PM Tuesday, yes. 3:00 PM today, no.

According to myid.ca there was a problem connecting to CIRA's servers around the time I had posted that.

Not that it really mattered, as there was only one name of interest to me in the end this week anyhow, which I'm in on the auction for at Pool.

My picks this week, if anybody's interested were as follows:

heelys (too much TM risk, though they're definitely in need as they are currently using h e e l y s c a n a d a (.) com right now)
pacifictrail (interesting for its geographical value, though I passed for now)
thedeal (too many deal sites as its is)
paki (poor choice to own as outlined in a prior post)

So, it appears as though I've overestimated this week. Got my fingers crossed that next week might warrant a few picks worth going after.

msn

Level 8
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
Well thedeal.ca sounds good to me; it would also be a great site for IPO, stock offerings, debt offerings and other things like that - I will take it.

Maxwell

Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
Well thedeal.ca sounds good to me; it would also be a great site for IPO, stock offerings, debt offerings and other things like that - I will take it.

I also passed on it as I anticipated much competition given the hype surrounding group buying sites.

Given how low on the list it was, it appears as though there wasn't much competition. Oh well.

msn

Level 8
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
Speaking of competition, it seems that the main event here was that Pool has come back into the TBR market hard and pushed other registrars down in the rankings.

DOTCA

Level 6
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
What I see, is the drop in the numbers of domains that get registered, although the weekly list is pretty consistent between 4K to 4.5K domains. Also the sudden drop in number of domains Sibername group registers. Some prominent Registrars have been silenced recently. May be the the comeback of Pool group is hurting them all. But at the end of the day.. I think the pie needs to be shared by all and CIRA like a grand old Granny, may be distributing among each of them.. :)

msn

Level 8
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
This entire concept of allowing registrars to own multiple affiliated registrars, simply to game the TBR system, is against the spirit of the original concept of having registrars within the .ca system. In fact, each company has just one RAR tag, so you see a series of numbered companies lined up beside the various registrars.

A far better approach is that of DENIC in Germany: each registrar can have one and only one registry connection, and if they take more, they lose their registrar rights.

DOTCA

Level 6
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
I would agree with the Denic approach. But that would put many Registrars, who now solely survive on TBR business, out of business.

msn

Level 8
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
I am not sure it would; in fact, it might actually bring more revenue over time. The costs would be reduced, and the competition would focus on service, which helps the dedicated registrar.

Status
Not open for further replies.

The Rule #1

Do not insult any other member. Be polite and do business. Thank you!

Sedo - it.com Premiums

IT.com

Premium Members

AucDom
UKBackorder
Be a Squirrel
MariaBuy

Our Mods' Businesses

UrlPick.com
URL Shortener

*the exceptional businesses of our esteemed moderators

Top Bottom