Enjoy unlimited access to all forum features for FREE! Optional upgrade available for extra perks.
Daily Diamond

The mess continues in Wanted Domains

Status
Not open for further replies.

ColdGin

Level 8
Legacy Platinum Member
Reaction score
I have started a thread a few months ago about the scammers in Wanted Domains...(the thread is here)

http://www.dnforum.com/showthread.php?t=205467&highlight=wanted+domains

But now I think we must to ask the mods about this section:

1. Put an end date to each of those thread sections. I have seen threads that are months and months running without any stop and none gets an answer.

2. Order to the start posters to respond or answer to the domains posted. (I know its a difficult job when people post garbage domains, but this is the only manner way to deal with the requests!)

3. Also make order with the infractions of the rules to the posters who don´t keep the rules as, responding with the specific domains that the starter thread has asked. You can always send a PM if you feel that your domain doesn´t fit exactly his requirements.

4. Close the threads that have crossed a certain time since the start even the starter never inform if he has get the domain he wants.

Please feel free to add any point you think is relevant and we should ask the mods to work on this...its getting each day worst. :undecided:

Upvote 0

smashfactory

Queen of Domainland
Legacy Platinum Member
Reaction score
i agree- i even posted a seller/buyer hints post- never got stickied- and i signed up to be a mod for just this area- never go responded too- oh well, a forum is only as good as the people in charge

Domain Summit 2024

Gerry

Dances With Dogs
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
I have simply stopped responding.

Something needs to be done.

A time limit needs to be placed.

Can't stand this "keep em coming" BS.

Raider

Level 9
Legacy Gold Member
Reaction score
That goes ditto for me, I posted some really good domains at reasonable prices and rarely get response, my guess is that many of them are looking for that great bargain, good domains for cheap.

:lol:

Onward

Level 9
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
It should cost DNF to post for domains wanted...may deter the scammers.

ColdGin

Level 8
Legacy Platinum Member
Reaction score
It should cost DNF to post for domains wanted...may deter the scammers.

I don´t thing this will help a lot...maybe if they get infractions when they give no answers, and when they let the thread go for long and don´t ask to close it.

I most hate the kind of posters that say ´I have 1 millon dollars to spend, will answer only If I like the domain´ WTF :upset:

smashfactory

Queen of Domainland
Legacy Platinum Member
Reaction score
i think that- if the poster would at the very least update the thread- i kinda figure if i dont hear anything via pm they are not interested (even tho an answer shows excellent business manners)
but if they would just update the thread one every one or two days- saying "hey, i have read all my pms, not really what i am looking for- let me revise my requirments to narrow things down more)

you are always going to have name fishers, and people who never buy- and there are ways to help make it a better place to buy domains- but no one has talked about taking any steps to smooth things out ;-(

Raider

Level 9
Legacy Gold Member
Reaction score
I like what Doc com does, so much that I'm going to start doing it myself.

OFFER WITHDRAWN
No response to PM and thread, member missing in action.​

JuniperPark

Level 9
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
We also have a problem with people abusing the 'For Sale - Offers' section, effectively running an auction with no rules and no end date, which essentially means he's waisting everyone's time so he can get an appraisal.

http://www.dnforum.com/showthread.php?p=1117871

I also reported the thread (no response after several days), and even got a harrassing PM from the guy.

I'm doing far less buying and selling on DNForum these days, and this is the reason why. There are just too many people here wasting everyone's time, and it's being tolerated for some reason.

GT Web

DNF Addict
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
I think I've posted in that section twice.

Both times I got dozens of PM's with completely unrelated domains outside my traffic, price, extension & length parameters I clearly outlined in the 1st post.

People see one of those threads and think the buyer will pay for any domain they get offered via PM. The whole situation is pretty sad actually.

VirtualT

Level 8
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
everytime I stray into the wanted section, a weird song pops into my head and just wont go away, it goes like this:

This is the thread that never ends,: Yes, it goes on and on, my friend :violin:

jaydub

Level 10
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score

Both times I got dozens of PM's with completely unrelated domains outside my traffic, price, extension & length parameters I clearly outlined in the 1st post.

People see one of those threads and think the buyer will pay for any domain they get offered via PM. The whole situation is pretty sad actually.

You are right GT....you get any name someone can throw at you...totally unrelated for "I will consider offers over 1K"...when you asked for a price...
Or they post the names when you asked for "PM only"..just so they can post it as available...
It is also a way for Gold members to stick names in for sale.

This is not everyone that does it...It just seems that 50% do it and it is maddening.

everytime I stray into the wanted section, a weird song pops into my head and just wont go away, it goes like this:

This is the thread that never ends,: Yes, it goes on and on, my friend :violin:

LOL....but true

Biggie

DNForum Moderator
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
I have started a thread a few months ago about the scammers in Wanted Domains...(the thread is here)

http://www.dnforum.com/showthread.php?t=205467&highlight=wanted+domains

But now I think we must to ask the mods about this section:

1. Put an end date to each of those thread sections. I have seen threads that are months and months running without any stop and none gets an answer.

2. Order to the start posters to respond or answer to the domains posted. (I know its a difficult job when people post garbage domains, but this is the only manner way to deal with the requests!)

3. Also make order with the infractions of the rules to the posters who don´t keep the rules as, responding with the specific domains that the starter thread has asked. You can always send a PM if you feel that your domain doesn´t fit exactly his requirements.

4. Close the threads that have crossed a certain time since the start even the starter never inform if he has get the domain he wants.

Please feel free to add any point you think is relevant and we should ask the mods to work on this...its getting each day worst. :undecided:

It was suggested to put a "closure function" for "domains wanted" so that threads would be closed automatically after 30 days. Hopefully, it will get prioritized with the quickness :)

As I and other staff do recognize, where there can be problems.

Many threads get bumped up by "new members", and I know all of you have seen on occassions when a newbie comes in and posts to every thread on the 1st page then digs deeper thru the stack!

Then another member posts a reply without even looking at the start date!

There is a sticky above all threads in that section which reads.."no pm sent" posts!

But members still do it.

I do go thru that section and have closed quite a few threads, but it's a lot of work to go thru every thread to see the start date and check if any updates were posted.

It would help if those who reconize an old thread would report it, but some still post...hoping the buyer is still around.

I've seen threads where a member would start a request and not come back online for 3 weeks....should that thread be closed? then he says "still looking", so the thread goes another 3 weeks.

Open to ideas

I have simply stopped responding.

Something needs to be done.

A time limit needs to be placed.

When you stop responding....then that's one less competitor! :)

That goes ditto for me, I posted some really good domains at reasonable prices and rarely get response, my guess is that many of them are looking for that great bargain, good domains for cheap.

:lol:

Aren't we all!

But believe it or not, many of the names I have sold here at DNF, have been thru "domains wanted" section.

:rolleyes:

Yup, it will be a great idea to close the thread after some idle time..

we try.

i think that- if the poster would at the very least update the thread- i kinda figure if i dont hear anything via pm they are not interested (even tho an answer shows excellent business manners)
but if they would just update the thread one every one or two days- saying "hey, i have read all my pms, not really what i am looking for- let me revise my requirments to narrow things down more)

you are always going to have name fishers, and people who never buy- and there are ways to help make it a better place to buy domains- but no one has talked about taking any steps to smooth things out ;-(

Posting etiquette would be nice, not just in that section, but all over the forum :)

"Fishers" are a problem, because they don't have any "creative skills" to think-up their own names, so they make fake threads and skimmy off the typos and variations from those who reply.

We also have a problem with people abusing the 'For Sale - Offers' section, effectively running an auction with no rules and no end date, which essentially means he's waisting everyone's time so he can get an appraisal.

http://www.dnforum.com/showthread.php?p=1117871

I also reported the thread (no response after several days), and even got a harrassing PM from the guy.

I'm doing far less buying and selling on DNForum these days, and this is the reason why. There are just too many people here wasting everyone's time, and it's being tolerated for some reason.

The "Offers Wanted" section has flaws, which hopefully can be addressed.
Too many "bumps and updates and TQ's"

Same with Fixed Price section, where a domain for sale thread may start with a price of $80,000.00 and then posts price drops every other day until it's "last call at $40.00"...

extreme example, but you get what I mean.

agreed.. 99.9% never buy a domain.. perhaps its an attention seeking thing.

that's possible too.

True it's can be frustrating.

Most don't READ the criteria, and will post..."I know you wanted a 1 word .com domain but I got this great 3 word domain with 2 hyphens .mobi"

;)

jaydub

Level 10
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
Most don't READ the criteria, and will post..."I know you wanted a 1 word .com domain but I got this great 3 word domain with 2 hyphens .mobi" ;)

LOL....but true

D

Deleted member 70408

I believe it is the responders that are the problem. As a buyer, it is frustrating to read a response, "I know you said xxxx, but I think you might like yyyyy." If I wanted yyyyy I would have asked for it specifically as I did for xxxx. When someone posts an offer wanted, they clearly have a specific name in mind and should only respond if that is what they are looking for. I don't care if the name is exactly the same but in a different extension, it doesn't matter. Stick to responding with relavant names, and you will likely receive a response. It's typically the people who don't post their specific needs that get the most responses. As they say, throw a whole bunch of shit on the wall and hope some of it sticks. Some people throw as many of their names on these threads and hope the poster or someone else will respond.

My advice to responders - if you don't like the non responses you are frequently receiving, the quality and relevance of your names is probably lacking. People who post are obviously looking for something and if they like it, they will be in touch. Don't call us - we'll call you.

One specific instance rings a bell. I asked for a LLL.com that is in the $30k range. Someone responded, "I know you wanted to spend $30k, but I have XXX.com for $50k and didn't want you to miss out." I saw this person had his name for sale in the Offers Wanted section, so clearly if I wanted his name, I would have made an offer before. That is why I hate posting in that section.

Biggie

DNForum Moderator
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
I believe it is the responders that are the problem. As a buyer, it is frustrating to read a response, "I know you said xxxx, but I think you might like yyyyy." If I wanted yyyyy I would have asked for it specifically as I did for xxxx. When someone posts an offer wanted, they clearly have a specific name in mind and should only respond if that is what they are looking for. I don't care if the name is exactly the same but in a different extension, it doesn't matter. Stick to responding with relavant names, and you will likely receive a response. It's typically the people who don't post their specific needs that get the most responses. As they say, throw a whole bunch of shit on the wall and hope some of it sticks. Some people throw as many of their names on these threads and hope the poster or someone else will respond.

My advice to responders - if you don't like the non responses you are frequently receiving, the quality and relevance of your names is probably lacking. People who post are obviously looking for something and if they like it, they will be in touch. Don't call us - we'll call you.

One specific instance rings a bell. I asked for a LLL.com that is in the $30k range. Someone responded, "I know you wanted to spend $30k, but I have XXX.com for $50k and didn't want you to miss out." I saw this person had his name for sale in the Offers Wanted section, so clearly if I wanted his name, I would have made an offer before. That is why I hate posting in that section.

Those are some good points from a buyers perspective, which if taken in the right context, would probably increase the number of potential buyers who now refrain from posting because of the same issues!

But don't stop posting if you got money to spend. :)

smashfactory

Queen of Domainland
Legacy Platinum Member
Reaction score
being able to close our own threads will help- for those buyers who actually come back to the threads- i think if someone does not respond to their thread via post for 2 weeks- bam, close the thread- what was there will still be there and if they come back 3 weeks later, they simply start a new post if they could not get back on before that- if they are serious and are really looking for a name, they will start a fresh thread-

i got reported once for something stupid when i was new on namepros- and i saw who reported me! now- if members know who is reporting them, i can see why even for an old thread why no one wants to report- who wants to be tagged like that ;-(

it seems so easy, all of this- to let a new mod run just this board, which needs the most constant moderation- i know you can have mods just in charge of a single board- why wont adam do that? it can be a GREAT board with some constant help behind it

Status
Not open for further replies.

The Rule #1

Do not insult any other member. Be polite and do business. Thank you!

Sedo - it.com Premiums

IT.com

Premium Members

AucDom
UKBackorder
Be a Squirrel
MariaBuy

Our Mods' Businesses

UrlPick.com

*the exceptional businesses of our esteemed moderators

Top Bottom