Enjoy unlimited access to all forum features for FREE! Optional upgrade available for extra perks.
Daily Diamond

The mess continues in Wanted Domains

Status
Not open for further replies.

ColdGin

Level 8
Legacy Platinum Member
Reaction score
I have started a thread a few months ago about the scammers in Wanted Domains...(the thread is here)

http://www.dnforum.com/showthread.php?t=205467&highlight=wanted+domains

But now I think we must to ask the mods about this section:

1. Put an end date to each of those thread sections. I have seen threads that are months and months running without any stop and none gets an answer.

2. Order to the start posters to respond or answer to the domains posted. (I know its a difficult job when people post garbage domains, but this is the only manner way to deal with the requests!)

3. Also make order with the infractions of the rules to the posters who don´t keep the rules as, responding with the specific domains that the starter thread has asked. You can always send a PM if you feel that your domain doesn´t fit exactly his requirements.

4. Close the threads that have crossed a certain time since the start even the starter never inform if he has get the domain he wants.

Please feel free to add any point you think is relevant and we should ask the mods to work on this...its getting each day worst. :undecided:

Upvote 0

Gerry

Dances With Dogs
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
When you stop responding....then that's one less competitor! :)
As Jetho Bodine used to cypher, "ought plus ought equals double ought".

No response equals no sale. I have no doubt that you perhaps have had sales in the past since being on this forum.

I have not been here that long. But not once to posting a domain requested or sending a PM have I gotten a response from someone who has posted a wanted note.

Is my name crap? Could be. Are my prices unreasonable? Could be.

But without ever getting a response, I'll never know.

So, I don't view myself as competition. I think some may be using all the domains submitted as fodder to feed the bulk domain finders to find variations thereof.

That's my theory and I'm sticking to it ;)

As for the no response statement, that is not theory...that is truth. :eek:

Domain Summit 2024

Duckinla

DNF Addict
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
I figure the domains wanted section is mostly just guys getting ideas for registrations in certain niches.
On rare occassion I will look through a thread just to see how far off-topic the offered domains have strayed.

namestrands

The Bishop
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
I say, bin the lot. Or offer NO DNF for posting or responding.

Or.. Close the Thread straight after the first Post so as to only accept PMs.

Beachie

Mr Flippy Returns..
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
I have XXX.com for $50k

SOLD! What's your PayPal, Elliot? :D

But seriously, it's frustrating posting in the wanted section with very specific criteria, only to get spammed with domains that don't even meet one of the criteria. I can see two solutions:

1) We need to get strict on people who post names that don't meet criteria and issue them with warning points. The problem with this is the mods simply can't watch every single post that's made on DNF - it's just not possible, nor should we have to. Members need to report the offenders and the mods will deal with it.

2) As namestrands suggested, automatically closing threads might work. They could either close immediately, forcing domain lists to be PMed or emailed (which takes away from point #1), or close within a time period (a week?) so we're not seeing NamePopper's wanted threads being bumped.

The other thing that bugs me (while I'm complaining) is people who PM me when I say "Don't PM me"... There's nothing anyone can do about that, but I needed to get it off my chest. Thanks for listening.

Gerry

Dances With Dogs
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
The other thing that bugs me (while I'm complaining)
All very good points.

Names wanted and offers wanted fall into the same state of perpetual motion...they just never end. Both annoy the heck out of me.

And auctions that never end...

...we're gonna run this sucker until 2012 when the UK Olympics come around and then this domain will be worth something more, damnit. You'll wish you bought it in 2007 for $50.00 instead of $500,000.00 now in 2011.

There has got to be some definitive time lines and rules of acceptance for these formats. Not that anyone has to be a hardass or come down with the hammer, but some basic guidelines.

Theo

Account Terminated
Reaction score
Don't forget the keyword scoopers that want creative names and they end up registering variations of the names posted.

smashfactory

Queen of Domainland
Legacy Platinum Member
Reaction score
now- explain this to me-
there are some sellers who i have seen post in the thread, they will not post a price, they will post a name but not a price with it- and some hate posting the name too- due to indexing or something?
is that maybe why beachie people insist on doing it pm style?

jaydub

Level 10
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
now- explain this to me-
there are some sellers who i have seen post in the thread, they will not post a price, they will post a name but not a price with it- and some hate posting the name too- due to indexing or something?

PM or Public is usually one of the rules set by the person posting as looking for the name.
I always say "PM only". If you don't your thread looks like a dog's breakfast with some people sticking whatever they want in there as a way to advertise their name for sale.

Still there are always some who stick the name(s) in the thread...
And even though you specifically say "with price" you still get the "make me an offer" replies.

If you don't follow what has been asked by the person looking to buy....expect no response or one you would rather not get...

markmiddleton

Level 1
Legacy Platinum Member
Reaction score
now- explain this to me-

Not sure but 99% of all offers I respond to in a thread will now be via pm, just because of the tension that it seems to create to post and reply to names in these threads. I have no desire to advertise but I do have a desire to post names I feel relevant to the buyer.

I think what everyone has failed to take account of here is its often difficult to meet exactly what someone has in mind, when someone is quite general about what they want, certainly in everyone else's eyes it seems. You only have your own experience and your own opinion, which by its very nature is going to contradict the person sitting next to you.

Regardless I feel it much less hassle free and to a certain extent obligation free, to deal via pm now. Thats my 2 cents.

smashfactory

Queen of Domainland
Legacy Platinum Member
Reaction score
lord it is so sad- i am in this section several times a day- and it just hurts to watch people post- buyers who ARE being very specific, and sellers who are just...... lordy posting anything!
i dont get it- reading, it is a fairly easy thing to do-
someone says 2 year old domain REQUIRED- what does he get? i have this domain, has nothing to do with your keywords, and is not 2 years old.
my head hurts :sigh2:

Domainate.com

Selling Domains
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
I think I've posted in that section twice.

Both times I got dozens of PM's with completely unrelated domains outside my traffic, price, extension & length parameters I clearly outlined in the 1st post.

People see one of those threads and think the buyer will pay for any domain they get offered via PM. The whole situation is pretty sad actually.

Ditto. I think I posted 1 of those threads, and tried desperately to get people to realize what exactly I was looking for (short "cool" brandable domains) and kept getting 2, sometimes even 3 word domains in my Inbox, or names with freakin' numbers! Ultimately I did abandon the thread, though I do realize I should have posted for it to be closed, but I was just disgusted and didn't want to pay any more attention to it. I think it went something like 80 or 90 posts and I probably got at least 60 or 70 PMs, and bought a whole 2 domains, both from the same guy, with another 3 or 4 that were okay, but people asking waaay too much for them. That forum should just be nixed...I've posted names in god knows how many Names Wanted threads and it's never lead to a sale. I can't imagine very many sales happening from those threads.

smashfactory

Queen of Domainland
Legacy Platinum Member
Reaction score
i saw that- cool! so when someone posts, even if they dont post a budget, they HAVE to pick a section- so then at least we have a budget range by default- applause to you giant!
:clap2: :clap2: :clap2:

HasRob

Level 6
Legacy Platinum Member
Reaction score
Just expressing my worthless opinion, I do not like the new set up at all :veryangry:

Theo

Account Terminated
Reaction score
Well done, but we need the $1,000,000+ category specifically for Yakov (add a Lowballers's Lair as well) :D

Welkin

Level 5
Legacy Platinum Member
Reaction score
Some will like it, some won't. Those who won't are the ones who didn't like posting budgets.

I don't like it either. But for an entirely different reasons.
1) It's much harder to look through all the threads now and I think this will lower the communication between serious traders.
2) The spammers will still go through all of the sections and send PMs or make posts for useless domains.
3) Also there will be another problem for the buyers - they should post in several sections duplicated posts if their budget has wide spreaded boundaries. This will lead to more threads for maintaining by all sides - buyers, sellers and moderators.

I'm not personally affected much by this change, it's just my opinion what will be the overall result.

On the other hand, I totally agree that auto-close option is really good to have.

Dale Hubbard

Formerly 'aZooZa'
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
Excellent GD. That's all I spent my time on when I did the job -- trying to get these people to respond to offers or have their crazy age-old threads closed. I think what's implemented now is near perfect. Late, but near perfect ;) You can't please everyone.

jaydub

Level 10
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
Thanks GD...looks good to me...

Status
Not open for further replies.

The Rule #1

Do not insult any other member. Be polite and do business. Thank you!

Sedo - it.com Premiums

IT.com

Premium Members

AucDom
UKBackorder
Be a Squirrel
MariaBuy

Our Mods' Businesses

UrlPick.com

*the exceptional businesses of our esteemed moderators

Top Bottom