Enjoy unlimited access to all forum features for FREE! Optional upgrade available for extra perks.
NDD Camp 2024

The real reason for slow registrations

Status
Not open for further replies.

David G

Internet Entrepreneur
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
In other threads either slow new extension name growth or large dot-com non-renewals are talked about a lot. I think an important issue most everyone has overlooked regarding new .info (and .us and biz) registrations is the fact the glory days for the registries of speculators reg'ing non-sensical and made-up names is now gone.

When I first started posting about Real Names and using that ID about 3-yrs ago everyone laughed and ridiculed me for speaking against made-up names. When I talked about reg'ing long multi-word (most short ones were gone) real names and real phrases, occupations and terms they laughed even harder, saying only short domains were valuable, even if they were made-up names.

When I said things like long but real phrase real name real words such as www.PatentAndTrademarkOffice.com or www.SuggestionTool.com has more true value than a name such as YZX.com or ebuddy.com they also laughed and said I was nuts. That was in the glory days of made-up names.

It was also the days when between GreatDomains Chat and Afternic Chat there were usually more than 100 in chat each evening. I recall days with 90 at GD Chat and 60 at AN Chat at the same time! They were all talking about made-up names like e-didgy.com, etc. Both Chats are now gone.

Now in late 2002 these same folks who laughed before are only wanting to reg real names. That's the problem with declining or slow registrations today. Zillions of non-sensical and stupid dot-coms drop every day. At the same time most of the good real words info biz and us names were grabbed quickly, leaving mostly the leftovers and the 3rd rate real names.

As speculators and developers get smarter the rate of new registrations will continue to decline and the rate of drops will increase. Anyone here agree or disagree with this?

Agree entirely, there is a natural filtration process at work that is taking care of the madness that occurred a few years back.

A lot of people tried their hand at domains, especially after the business.com/loans.com sales - and as its not worked for many they are moving onto other things and letting there poor names drop.

Status
Not open for further replies.

The Rule #1

Do not insult any other member. Be polite and do business. Thank you!

Sedo - it.com Premiums

IT.com

Premium Members

AucDom
UKBackorder
Be a Squirrel

Latest Comments

MariaBuy

New Threads

Our Mods' Businesses

URL Shortener
UrlPick.com