Enjoy unlimited access to all forum features for FREE! Optional upgrade available for extra perks.
NDD Camp 2024

The Snowe Bill and Why I Donated $7,250 to the ICA

Status
Not open for further replies.

Beachie

Mr Flippy Returns..
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
Hi folks,

The domain industry has been good to me over the years, as I'm sure it has to many of you. I see the Snowe bill as a very real and present threat to our industry as well as to the web itself. I think the intentions of the bill are generally good but, despite best intentions, the law will be used by aggressive companies to take our property.

I've pledged a donation of $7,250 to the Internet Commerce Association. There are a lot of politics in domaining and everyone has their allegiances, many of which overlap, but I strongly believe that now is the time we need to put aside our differences and fight together or face losing what we've worked so hard for. The ICA may not be the perfect solution, and it may not sit perfectly with everyone's politics, but they are the ONLY organization that is going to fight for us. They have Phil Corwin, who is a strong presence in Washington. I have no affiliation with the ICA - I just believe they are our BEST BET.

I need you to take five minutes and do the following two things:

1) Sign the petition at www.snowebill.com

2) If you can, please make a donation, NO MATTER HOW SMALL, to the ICA. You can do this;

By PayPal to [email protected]
or
By credit card at www.internetcommerce.org/donate

Please post here and let us know if you make a donation, so you can get a warm fuzzy feeling :)

Together we can beat this, and show the World that we're a serious industry while we're at it!

Thanks for your time,
Chris.

socalboy

Level 7
Legacy Platinum Member
Reaction score
One thing I might add to Chris' post. I noticed a lot of "Anonymous" signatures. This only reinforces the bill's contention that people are hiding behind false or private registrations. Please sign with your real name.

Thanks,
Eric

Last edited:

Focus

Making Everything Click
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
Excellent Chris...you being one of the most respected long time SERIOUS domainers on this board it's good to see you actively involved and that is quite a generous donation...hopefully this inspires others to fight for out rights! :eek:k:

Gerry

Dances With Dogs
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
One thing I might add to Chris' post. I noticed a lot of "Anonymous" signatures. This only reinforces the bill's contention that people are hiding behind false or private registrations. Please sign with your real name.

Thanks,
Eric
If I am not mistaken, the anonymous part is an option of posting your comments with your real name.

All signatures for the signing of the petition are recorded with name but comments available for public viewing have that option.

Rubber Duck

Level 9
Legacy Platinum Member
Reaction score
If you want to show the World then you should be campaigning for the US Government to release control over the name system. If ICA were serious they would do the same. The basic problem is that American Senator have far too much say.

Hi folks,

The domain industry has been good to me over the years, as I'm sure it has to many of you. I see the Snowe bill as a very real and present threat to our industry as well as to the web itself. I think the intentions of the bill are generally good but, despite best intentions, the law will be used by aggressive companies to take our property.

I've pledged a donation of $7,250 to the Internet Commerce Association. There are a lot of politics in domaining and everyone has their allegiances, many of which overlap, but I strongly believe that now is the time we need to put aside our differences and fight together or face losing what we've worked so hard for. The ICA may not be the perfect solution, and it may not sit perfectly with everyone's politics, but they are the ONLY organization that is going to fight for us. They have Phil Corwin, who is a strong presence in Washington. I have no affiliation with the ICA - I just believe they are our BEST BET.

I need you to take five minutes and do the following two things:

1) Sign the petition at www.snowebill.com

2) If you can, please make a donation, NO MATTER HOW SMALL, to the ICA. You can do this;

By PayPal to [email protected]
or
By credit card at www.internetcommerce.org/donate

Please post here and let us know if you make a donation, so you can get a warm fuzzy feeling :)

Together we can beat this, and show the World that we're a serious industry while we're at it!

Thanks for your time,
Chris.

Jacksplat

No time to chit-chat
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
Bringing attention to the general public about the domainers plight might not help as most regular joe's have a bad feeling already about us. And could turn out to go against us by showing support to snowe. But if the public knowing about what they're trying to do then using a collaboration of some very high american traffic domains to display our side of the coin would be a great way to convey the message. Costly for any contributors but very effective.

sashas

DNF Addict
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
if this bill passes, I swear to god I'm invading verisign and ICANN'T

Status
Not open for further replies.

The Rule #1

Do not insult any other member. Be polite and do business. Thank you!

Sedo - it.com Premiums

IT.com

Premium Members

AucDom
UKBackorder
Be a Squirrel
MariaBuy

Our Mods' Businesses

URL Shortener
UrlPick.com

*the exceptional businesses of our esteemed moderators

Top Bottom