• Welcome to DNForum.com - Domain Investor Forum, Free Domain Marketplace and a community for 45+ domain pros
    If you are new to domains and looking to buy, sell and learn about domains then you have come to the right place. DNForum is the oldest global domain name community on the internet and continues to grow every day. There are over 45,000 domainers on DNForum doing everything from buying domains, selling domains, using our free in-house built tools, learning about domains and discussing domains. Take a minute and Register.

Tip: Don't Tell Them What You're Doing

Status
Not open for further replies.

foundrstack

Web Developer
Legacy Exclusive Member
Joined
Jan 11, 2006
Messages
3,376
Reaction score
354
Tip: Don't tell them what you're doing when it comes to web development and domain names. Everyone here is like a split personality (I'm not talking about exclusively at DNForum): we are all your competitors, customers, students and teachers. I don't think we'd all hesitate to become either one.

If you're doing a project that is unique and will bring in loads of traffic, don't tell anyone. Not even after the fact. Don't even tell them when it becomes popular. Only tell them when its time to sell. Why? Because competitor mode will kick in and the next thing you know they'll be dozens of copycats. All of a sudden your unique idea is no longer unique and the leg you so readily talked about becomes occupied with thousands of leeches.

Yes, I've had personal experience with this. Think before you post.....
 
I agree. Just because you can tell somebody something doesn't mean it's in your best interest too. I try to avoid posting things like that on public forums anyway though.
 
Anything good i create is not posted here, even in my signature, most people get there via links, searching or WOM, linking from a forum with smart users such as this can only hurt you
 
That's too bad because it does help you in the search rankings to have your site in your signiture and then to go post on lots of forums for backlinks.
I guess you have to weigh what you need more, secrecy or backlinks.

Don't you think if your site becomes popular, not necessarily webmasters here, but webmasters somewhere will find it and copy it anyway?

I think your plan of not posting it here might buy you some time but you're just delaying the inevitable.

And what sucks about the tight liped way most are here at dnforum is that, while at other forums people are open and free and share their plan, here there scared and secret and only talk about surface issues.
Then again, the plans at the other forum aren't worth much to copy, lol, while the plans here are potential money makers.
 
DeluxeNames.com said:
I think your plan of not posting it here might buy you some time.....

Exactly. I'd rather be the 'big guy' in the niche for even a few weeks than have to share with others. You have a better chance of building credibility.
 
Happened to me already! :(
 
another point along the same lines, dont post your names for appraissals the minute you reg them, especially for new terms, wait a couple weeks just in case you think of other variations of the name, otherwise somebody else might beat you to the punch after reading your appraissal post
 
fatter said:
another point along the same lines, dont post your names for appraissals the minute you reg them, especially for new terms, wait a couple weeks just in case you think of other variations of the name, otherwise somebody else might beat you to the punch after reading your appraissal post

I've sent people offers on .com's through WHOIS only to have them reg the .net, .org, etc, so lately if it's a decent name and the .net is available, I buy it before offering. You have to be careful with that too though because if they see that YOU just bought the .net, they will think they can get more for the .com. :-D
 
wow, there is a lot of good advice here on offer even for up coming players like me. Thanks. keep 'em flowing to know what do and not do.
 
Not posting ideas, domains, etc is something I learned via a popular marketing forum. There were so many more experienced people on board that would take your idea and run with it. They could have a site developed within 24hrs of you posting about it.

It sucks that competition is that way.... but I guess that's just business!!
 
I completely agree, and I have been telling people this for a long time now.

Don't showoff your unique ideas on webmaster forums, dont post your TM names on webmaster forums, and generally do not post your sites on webmaster forums, simple as that.

We have seen it time and time again, from the milliondollarhomepage.com idea, to these myspace sites that are flooding the market. Even your domains, don't post them up, as they will probably register typos, other extensions, etc.

I try never to list any of my sites anymore because of this type of competition. I don't list my names in my signature and even when asking questions regarding the site I try to keep it as discrete as possible.

Its sad but just the environment and competitiveness of the industry.
 
Sometimes you can use this to your advantage... If I plan on developing a domain name then I will generally register most related extensions. However, in the past, many of my domains were targeted towards end users. Since I own way too many domains already, as a strategy, I sometimes just registered the .com and then let it be known... Ultimately, parasitic types jumped to register the rest (no offense, it is business after all). When I approached an end user, I pointed out that the .com was valuable, as evidenced by the fact that all extensions were taken. I believe in some cases, it helped negotiate a sale. The key is not to ask too much for the .com. Don't get greedy...
 
This is a depressing thread. What will that leave us to talk about on DNForum if we can't talk about our domains?
 
DeluxeNames.com said:
What will that leave us to talk about on DNForum if we can't talk about our domains?

I'd like to answer but can't reveal any secrets:bounce:
 
Well.. You can go with that approach if you want I honestly see nothing wrong in posting a project once its complete, instead of just posting up things to sell. There will always be buyers no matter what. There will always be sellers no matter what.

Dnforum is a community. A community to help, share tips, and give advice(ideas).. Not just a place to buy/sell

To me, it makes no sense to only tell when it becomes popular because competitor mode will kick in.. Chances are, if its already popular you already have someone at dnf, and whatever other place trying to compete with it.

It's one thing not to reveal secrets, but if everyone was so cautious with what we say here, just because we don't want to help/tip off the next man/woman, it wouldn't be a fun community.. only dull , imo
 
SouthernTn said:
Well.. You can go with that approach if you want I honestly see nothing wrong in posting a project once its complete, instead of just posting up things to sell. There will always be buyers no matter what. There will always be sellers no matter what.

Dnforum is a community. A community to help, share tips, and give advice(ideas).. Not just a place to buy/sell

To me, it makes no sense to only tell when it becomes popular because competitor mode will kick in.. Chances are, if its already popular you already have someone at dnf, and whatever other place trying to compete with it.

It's one thing not to reveal secrets, but if everyone was so cautious with what we say here, just because we don't want to help/tip off the next man/woman, it wouldn't be a fun community.. only dull , imo

I agree, but maybe that's why I'm yet a millionaire :yo:
 
it is a good information for me. Thank you.
 
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom