Enjoy unlimited access to all forum features for FREE! Optional upgrade available for extra perks.
Daily Diamond

TM domain..can't use it for forum?

Status
Not open for further replies.

adill420

DNF Regular
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
I have reciently acquired BMWRacing.com and setup a forum there. What can BMW do? Also what can I do with the domain so it doesn't piss BMW off or should i contact them? I had plans on developing the site for information about BMW and a setup a forum thats about it.

Any input is appreciated. Thanks

Domain Summit 2024

CoolHost.com

Level 9
Legacy Gold Member
Reaction score
Thank you for taking my advice and posting this domain ... and your inquiry here in the "Legal issues" section! You'll be happy you did, once you begin to receive some input from the membership, and our esteemed legal 'friends. Good move.
Good Luck.

TrafficMonsterRRR

Level 8
Legacy Platinum Member
Reaction score
I think you should ask:

What does the BMW racing team call itself? and,
Where does the team hang out website-wise?

Granted BMW is a strong TM. However, if you have not knowingly registered a confusingly similar to a TM use of the TM word (again, what does the BMW racing team call itself is key), then you may have a prayer.

.. i.e if the BMW racing team called itself "BMW Racing" and had a well established site "BMW-Racing.com", you are at high risk of loosing the name at UDRP.

Good luck. It seems some "BMW" site owners are getting away with the word in their domain names, perhaps the lawyers could illuminate. It seems dealers can use it, for example.

adill420

DNF Regular
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
CoolHost: Thanks for the advice.

I thought that if you don't use a TM domain for commercial purpose there should be no problem? The only reason I registered BMWRacing.com was because I had plans on developing a forum (regardless of how many forums are out there). Kindly let me know. Thanks

dtobias

Level 6
Legacy Platinum Member
Reaction score
If you're intending a noncommercial forum use, then perhaps .org or .info would be more appropriate (and easier to defend) than .com?

jberryhill

Philadelphia Lawyer
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
Also read:

http://www.arbforum.com/domains/decisions/110830.htm
The Complainant has argued that customers are misled or confused when they are routed to the Respondent's site, because the Respondent is not an authorized BMW dealer. But the Respondent has not presented any evidence to the effect that Internet users automatically associate a domain name that combines the mark BMW with a geographic term with an authorized BMW dealer. Furthermore, the Respondent's site is very clear with respect to the nature of its business, so, prima facie, it would appear to this Panel that confusion is unlikely.

pljones

Level 4
Legacy Platinum Member
Reaction score
That decision illustrates that the outcome in a UDRP proceeding may change depending on the Panelist assigned to the case. For example, cases w/Diane Cabell frequently turn out differently than cases deciced by Carolyn Marks Johnson. I think this case might have been different with another panelist, so don't take too much comfort in the fact that BMW lost this one.

jberryhill

Philadelphia Lawyer
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
What is interesting about those two is to look for decisions where Cabell and Johnson were on a panel together. In those situations, it appears that Cabell decides to sit on her hands.

Drewbert

Level 5
Legacy Gold Member
Reaction score
>cases deciced by Carolyn Marks Johnson.

AVOID HER LIKE THE PLAGUE is a saying that springs to mind.

Status
Not open for further replies.

The Rule #1

Do not insult any other member. Be polite and do business. Thank you!

Sedo - it.com Premiums

IT.com

Premium Members

AucDom
UKBackorder
Be a Squirrel
MariaBuy

New Threads

Our Mods' Businesses

UrlPick.com

*the exceptional businesses of our esteemed moderators

Top Bottom