• Welcome to DNForum.com - Domain Investor Forum, Free Domain Marketplace and a community for 45+ domain pros
    If you are new to domains and looking to buy, sell and learn about domains then you have come to the right place. DNForum is the oldest global domain name community on the internet and continues to grow every day. There are over 45,000 domainers on DNForum doing everything from buying domains, selling domains, using our free in-house built tools, learning about domains and discussing domains. Take a minute and Register.

Town .com Names

  • Thread starter Thread starter Deleted member 70408
  • Start date Start date
Status
Not open for further replies.
D

Deleted member 70408

Guest
I own a group of 63 town names from throughout the country, most of which have populations of between 200 - 12,000 people. What is the best way to sell this group of names? If you know anything about Geo names, you know that they are very difficult to acquire. Enter just about any city, town, county, village....etc name, and the .com is probably not available to register. Anyone know of a place to market this small portfolio?
 
200-12,000 people is more like a village population if i am not mistaken.
 
Well, realtors can monetize the traffic really well so start there.
Also do a search and find the daily paper for the town. Not like "Podunk Times" but say the town is a small town near hartford ct. Then I would call or send an email to The Hartford Courant which is the largest area daily paper and see if they are interested.

Find the towns local gossip website or town related website and see who the largest advertiser is and approach them.

GL

John
 
200-12,000 people is more like a village population if i am not mistaken.
According to Wikipedia:
A village is defined as: "A village is a human residential settlement commonly found in rural areas. It is usually larger than a hamlet and smaller than a town or city. Villages have been the normal unit of community living in most areas of the world throughout its history, up until the Industrial revolution and the ongoing process of urbanization. In many U.S. states, a village is a type of municipal government"

A town is defined as: "A town is a residential community of people ranging from a few hundred to several thousands, although it may be applied loosely even to huge metropolitan areas. Generally, a "town" is thought of as larger than a village but smaller than a "city."
 
I like the newspaper/realestate idea. Youll certainly make more selling to endusers one by one.
 
I don't wish to make it a public sale to be quite honest. I like the idea of contacting local papers and real estate agents. I think I may do that, although I would prefer to sell in bulk. Less effort this way :-)
 
Anyone have an idea what a City.com with a population of 75,000 could fetch? This is mostly a retirement community.
 
Anyone have an idea what a City.com with a population of 75,000 could fetch? This is mostly a retirement community.

That is impossible to anser. In fact it is impossible to answer for most small towns or big towns for that matter.

I sold the name of a resort town in Rhode Island with a tiny pop. for $5000 I sold a much larger towns name for the same amount. I have also held on to names for years which have only received $100 offers.

If it's a really good resort town then I would call their Chamber of Commerce and say something to the effect of, "I had a website on xxxxxxtown.com and unfortunately I am now liquidating it. I wanted to give you a shot at the name before I make it available to others."

During the conversation bring up that you don't mind if they offer it to other chamber members.

This does a couple of things. First it gets the name out in front of your best audience. Second, it creates the fear of loss. If I am a realtor and I see my town name for sale and my competitor buys it I am going to be PISSED!

Anyway just a little insight.

GL
 
Great infomation
Thanks
That is impossible to anser. In fact it is impossible to answer for most small towns or big towns for that matter.

I sold the name of a resort town in Rhode Island with a tiny pop. for $5000 I sold a much larger towns name for the same amount. I have also held on to names for years which have only received $100 offers.

If it's a really good resort town then I would call their Chamber of Commerce and say something to the effect of, "I had a website on xxxxxxtown.com and unfortunately I am now liquidating it. I wanted to give you a shot at the name before I make it available to others."

During the conversation bring up that you don't mind if they offer it to other chamber members.

This does a couple of things. First it gets the name out in front of your best audience. Second, it creates the fear of loss. If I am a realtor and I see my town name for sale and my competitor buys it I am going to be PISSED!

Anyway just a little insight.

GL
 
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom