Enjoy unlimited access to all forum features for FREE! Optional upgrade available for extra perks.
Domain summit 2024

cctld turned down offer on a .ca

Status
Not open for further replies.

hugegrowth

Level 10
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
I had a $300 then a $1000 offer on a .ca today. The domain is 'work at home' in french, which is travailadomicile.

It gets <1000 visitors per month.

they first just wanted to advertise their product on some of my french pages, then made an offer on the domain. I turned it down though.

hugegrowth

Level 10
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
don't get many offers on what I think are my good french .ca's, so I thought it was worth mentioning. nice to see that a possible end user sees some value in it, maybe there's hope yet! the second half of this year has me seeing more inquiries on all my domains, but usually in the $200 to $1000 range.

katherine

Country hopper
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
I also believe French .ca domains are valued considerably less than their English counterparts. Nice domain for sure, but it looks like Canadian end users (the French speaking in particular) don't want to pay fair value for domains.

DOTCA

Level 6
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
I also believe French .ca domains are valued considerably less than their English counterparts. Nice domain for sure, but it looks like Canadian end users (the French speaking in particular) don't want to pay fair value for domains.

Agree.. the value for French domains are far less than the English domains.. and if I am not misunderstood.. only a very few domains had been sold. Correct me if I am wrong...

tomsa

DNF Member
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
FIY travailadomicile.com just sold for $5000 on sedo.
In my opinion It seems to be a fair offer.

msn

Level 8
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
If the .com sold for $5000, it suggests the .ca should have sold at $1000 already.

hugegrowth

Level 10
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
There is some reasoning to that, and I saw that sale, but I think the .com went cheap. I ask myself could I make more than $1000 with the .ca over time, and the answer is 'hell yeah!'. This is one where I plan to get the IDN .ca version if they grandfather them in. The 'a' in the middle should have an accent, and would be great to have both.

TheLegendaryJP

Level 9
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
See now I WOULD let it go for $1k and here is why.

The english one would still only be worth $$$$, the end user market for that specific use in french is likely extremely low, bottom line, it is more likely you will never receive a higher offer ever again and not even the $1k.

jmo, its a nice name but not a great name and in .ca even the "great" names struggle most times to see good 4-5 figures.

hugegrowth

Level 10
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
the end user market for that specific use in french is likely extremely low,

not sure how you come to that conclusion. I think I can do better than $1k in earnings with this domain over a relatively short time, sure it's a good offer but not one that makes it a no-brainer to sell.

Maxwell

Formerly known as grcorp.
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
I think I can do better than $1k in earnings with this domain over a relatively short time, sure it's a good offer but not one that makes it a no-brainer to sell.

The key words here are "I think".

I understand and appreciate that domaining is a game of speculation. However, you have to recognize a good profit when the opportunity for one presents itself.

In its current state, you "think" you can get more than $1k over time. But you "know" that you can get $1k today.

I honestly think that the potential is rather limited for a name like this. That $1k gives you capital to re-invest in something perhaps more lucrative.

msn

Level 8
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
not sure how you come to that conclusion. I think I can do better than $1k in earnings with this domain over a relatively short time, sure it's a good offer but not one that makes it a no-brainer to sell.

If it is making you $75 a month right now then I would agree with you.

hugegrowth

Level 10
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
Even if I only make $500 with it in the next year or so, I'll have $500 and still the domain. It gets 'work at home' french traffic already, and those types of ads pay decent.

msn

Level 8
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
There is a big 'if' there: do you have those ads up now and equally important, are you earning $45 per month already? I see plenty of domains that make good money 'if' they have the ads, but many do not.

TheLegendaryJP

Level 9
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
Houston, we have an IF problem.

Better known as having wishes and fishes...

dcristo

Level 9
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
If at first they wanted to advertise on your site, that suggests they're likely end users. I think its doubtful in the near future you will have another end user approach you to purchase this domain so what they're prepared to pay is about as good as you're going to get. Perhaps you could have squeezed a bit more out of them but thats a fairly decent offer and I think if you have no plans for development it was a mistake to turn it down quite frankly.

msn

Level 8
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
Take all of these comments as a sort of motivation to build a site or to sell it and move on, but just do not sit there and let it drift.

Status
Not open for further replies.

The Rule #1

Do not insult any other member. Be polite and do business. Thank you!

Sedo - it.com Premiums

IT.com

Premium Members

AucDom
UKBackorder
Be a Squirrel
MariaBuy

Our Mods' Businesses

URL Shortener
UrlPick.com

*the exceptional businesses of our esteemed moderators

Top Bottom