• Welcome to DNForum.com - Domain Investor Forum, Free Domain Marketplace and a community for 45+ domain pros
    If you are new to domains and looking to buy, sell and learn about domains then you have come to the right place. DNForum is the oldest global domain name community on the internet and continues to grow every day. There are over 45,000 domainers on DNForum doing everything from buying domains, selling domains, using our free in-house built tools, learning about domains and discussing domains. Take a minute and Register.

University: What Course?

Status
Not open for further replies.

GUA

Gremlin
Legacy Exclusive Member
Joined
Aug 22, 2006
Messages
1,495
Reaction score
5
Hey guys,
I am in the UK and atm I am pondering what course I should do and at what university. I have done loas of these online course tests with no success, and thus I want some help choosing something that i will enjoy.

Facts:
  • I am pretty intelligent, in that I got mainly A*s(the best grade) in my GCSE'S(exams you do at 16).
  • I like computers, web design, domaining!!! etc
  • As vain as it is I want to do a course which will provide a good job, and a good income on completion. Not something whereby there are no jobs and loads of competition for jobs.

I was considering medicine, as that is what my dad does. However there is nothing that particularly makes me want to do medicine. Its a long course, and there are a lack of jobs.

It is now getting to the stage where I want to order prospectuses from various universities, but I have no idea what course to do.

I want something fun and interesting. Any help would be apprciated.
Thanks
 
Ask yourself some simple questions

What are your strengths
What do you enjoy doing
What makes me happy
 
Also what would you do all day and never consider it a job but enjoyment and check out Salary.com to see which jobs are paying and in demand.
 
Medicine & computer combination.

Take some courses to cure the computer viruses! Electronic medicine.
 
Tom

four year sandwich courses, with one year placement maybe ok. The placement year used to be ok with salary (some getting paid £20k and over) now pay is averaging £12-15k

Graduates with an IT degree i.s. ebusiness etc are generally getting £15-£20k start very rarely about that figure
 
There will be huge investment in medicine in the next couple of years, the NHS may seem really bad currently but with the new guidelines coming in it will slowly improve.
 
There will be huge investment in medicine in the next couple of years, the NHS may seem really bad currently but with the new guidelines coming in it will slowly improve.

The optimist....
 
The optimist....

There is a meeting for a large Primary Care Trust this week regarding plans to stop foreign nationals abusing the NHS, many come over for dental care and eye care then do a runner without paying.

They basically want to provide a easy to get to emergency centre which will only provide life support care and then you will need your doctors approval before getting further treatment. I help out with a councillor who said the Newcastle hospitals are owed well over £100,000 in the last 6 months which would pay for 16 nurses or 2 doctors/consultants.
 
There is a meeting for a large Primary Care Trust this week regarding plans to stop foreign nationals abusing the NHS, many come over for dental care and eye care then do a runner without paying.

They basically want to provide a easy to get to emergency centre which will only provide life support care and then you will need your doctors approval before getting further treatment. I help out with a councillor who said the Newcastle hospitals are owed well over £100,000 in the last 6 months which would pay for 16 nurses or 2 doctors/consultants.


This is not a new problem... Add to that the fact the primary care trust are merging and many FD's have had to re-apply for their jobs.. I can't but help think there is a state of confusion... Oh, and the fact the NHS is generally crap at collecting money... why I hear you ask.. its called political correctness, they are scared of being seen to sue people and would sooner write it off

Your councillor should ask them what there age debt situation is like, what measures they have in place and have they managed to reduce age debt in both time and amount...

By age debt I mean debt which is older than 30days passed due
 
Its not a case of suing people its a case of finding the people, 99% of the money is owed by health tourists and it accounts for millions country wide. The reason they are in debt is the contracts they have with suppliers, £60 for pads to cool your eyes when the exact same pads can be bought in Boots for £4.

The debt situation has been dealt with and wasnt really a problem, councillors cannot do anything about that really only MP's.

The councillor is there for planning and funding issues.

That said I have been told and already had the feeling that a career in medicine should be taken if the opportunity is there.
 
If you want top dollar, look at Medicine, Law, Engineering and Business/Economics. I know graduates who got £100k in their first year out of university with an Economics degree from LSE.
 
Hunnam

I can assure you the debt situation has not been taken care of.. What some may have done is written the age debt off or re-invoiced the original invoice...

As for contracts, I think you also need to look deeper..... The authorisation process of invoices automatically allows a process of overcharging... In other words credit control pay invoices even though there is substantive information that suggests that invoices are not correct... The reason they pay them is simply to meet targets and get the bonus huh!!

Another reason they are in debt... Consultant contracts and Agency workers.. for nurses that could be 100 per hour or perhaps as I mentioned in another thread over £100 labour charged to change a fuse of 30 pence

I think you will find that the "health tourist" issue is a political football

If you want top dollar, look at Medicine, Law, Engineering and Business/Economics. I know graduates who got £100k in their first year out of university with an Economics degree from LSE.

Luke

How much is a degree there now... I know a masters is £40k
 
I'm also going to attend school this year, business and economics at that one opposite buckingham palace :)
 
It really depends on what you want to do and what you want to get out of it.

I am currently a student in computer engineering and I think it is great for what I want to do in the future.
 
What are your strengths: Academic Studies/Computers
What do you enjoy doing: Domaining
What makes me happy: Family, Frieds, Parties, Making Money.

It may help you help (if that makes sense), but for my A Levels I am doing Chemistry, Bioligy, Physics and Maths.

I would reply yo each individually but there are more than I expected.
Please not I am taking note at everything being said and all the links you are providing.
Many Thanks
 
entrepreneurial? or

Have you thought about combined honours computing and something to do with gene therapy
 
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom