Enjoy unlimited access to all forum features for FREE! Optional upgrade available for extra perks.
Domain summit 2024

Upgrades to a dedicated server

Status
Not open for further replies.

mole

DNF Addict
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
I currently use shared server hosting. Which is extremely easy with FP publishing or FTP.

I was thinking of upgrading to a dedicated server to create and manage multiple web-sites.

Is it difficult to do so? I'm not a techie. Any guidelines are much appreciated.

Domain summit 2024

Dedicated servers aren't hard to manage - but you need to take particular care for security (patching known problems etc).

I've talked several complete newbies through managing dedicated (linux) servers for multiple domains in half an hour and they've been fine.

Tip: get a decent firewall and use secure passwords for everything.

mole

DNF Addict
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
Thanks for the advise, safesys.

I am thinking of a Win 2k IIS server solution. My host is Innerhost.

Is there a lot of differences with Linux solutions?

I used to use IIS on a virtual server I ran for my web clients (pre domain revenue days). I moved over to linux and recoded all the ASP sites to PHP for free becase I liked the features and reliability of Linux/Apache.

The combo I run of linux/apache/php/mysql/mod_gzip means its fast and very flexible for just about anything I need to do. mod_gzip is useful as it reduces the bandwidth of html to about a 10th of what it would be without compression.

Linux and IIS are very different beasts to manage/configure (unless you do it all by proprietary interfaces).

mole

DNF Addict
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
Originally posted by safesys
Linux and IIS are very different beasts to manage/configure (unless you do it all by proprietary interfaces).

Hi safesys,

Do you know which hosts have the best interfaces to manage dedicated W2k server solutions?

Thats not an area I'm to familiar with mole, I've always done things the hard way.

mole

DNF Addict
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
I believe they call that type of behavior masochist :)

Thanks much anyway.

mole

DNF Addict
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
Timechange,

I am thinking of 50+ standalone websites, not subwebs like I am doing now.

I understand it may be more economical for me to just get a dedicated.

You could still do 50 standalone websites on a virtual server (once upon a time i was hosting well over 100 on one with DSVR).

Dedicateds can be cheap though, and you get the ultimate flexibility and security in that you can config it exactly how you need.

Virtual hosting works fine for multiple domains, all you need is your own IP and a script to detect the reffering domain. Of course the only problem may be bandwidth :)

I can point you to a web host with 20 GB /month and 800Mb of space - you can have 10 multi-hosted web sites (the easy way) or you can edit a single file yourself and have unlimited (e.g.50) domains pointing to the same IP and being sent to different subdirectories. All that for $99 per year.

mole

DNF Addict
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
But timechange, it is this same ip I am trying to avoid. I am trying to game the Google search engine :D and I need unique ip addresses pointing to each web.

I know innerhost.com gives me 11 unique ips for each dedicated, but I believe I can buy more ip :sad:'

I'm just worried about the technical intricacies of a dedicated server. safesys is a pro who likes to do things the hard way, I prefer instant noodle :)

micro

Level 4
Legacy Platinum Member
Reaction score
Mole u can also use virtual server with loads of domains. Your hoster just needs to supply you with the ip and that costs usually around 12$ per year and maybe an initial setup fee

mole

DNF Addict
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
Hi micro,

Where forth I go for this host?

Thanks much.

J

jimb

I can help you out if you need it. PM/Email me if you need some help getting started.

Jim

mole

DNF Addict
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
Thanks jimb.

Status
Not open for further replies.

The Rule #1

Do not insult any other member. Be polite and do business. Thank you!

Sedo - it.com Premiums

IT.com

Premium Members

AucDom
UKBackorder
Be a Squirrel
MariaBuy

New Threads

Our Mods' Businesses

UrlPick.com
Free QR Code Generator by MerchArts

*the exceptional businesses of our esteemed moderators