Enjoy unlimited access to all forum features for FREE! Optional upgrade available for extra perks.
Domain summit 2024

.us or .biz?

Status
Not open for further replies.

JakeStansfield

Level 1
Legacy Gold Member
Reaction score
which of the two has more resale value?
.US or .Biz

all responses appreciated, thank you!

Duke

DNF Addict
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
Neither is very strong in terms of resale right now - they're much too new. .biz names in general are not even offered for sale as it is against registry rules to sell them unless attached to a business. As a result they should have at least a token amount of development done on them before selling them. I doubt that it is being enforced very strictly, but theoretically the registry could take the name back from you if they caught you dealing in names only.

I personally am a much bigger fan of .us that .biz - but I am also an American so .us makes more sense for me to use. I think it will be much more popular than .biz in the US, but only time will answer these questions for sure.

DrWho

Level 9
Legacy Gold Member
Reaction score
Duke is correct but I would reg .US

NamePopper.com

Level 8
Legacy Platinum Member
Reaction score
Originally posted by Duke of Earl
.biz names in general are not even offered for sale as it is against registry rules to sell them unless attached to a business.

Um............ I will be back in a few minutes. I need to go make a couple *adjustments* to my site. :eek:

JakeStansfield

Level 1
Legacy Gold Member
Reaction score
I also wasn't aware of that, I just registered YFX.us and YFX.biz because I didn't know of that particular rule.

does anyone know if I could sell YFX.us and just throw in the .biz as a bonus to make it worth a bit more?

EM @MAJ.com

Visit MAJ.com for domain forsale.
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
That's correct for .biz extension. The site should be a service or business website and not for sale site.

Though it's tempting to buy more .biz and .us for promotional $5.95 only 'till March 31, 2003 --> www.centerdomain.com.

Good luck to all,
tw

M

mole

.US is a cctld, implying specificity to content with direct references to the States.

.BIZ is a gTLD that means .BUSINESS, is borderless and inherently suited to B2B applications. IMO, .COM is still the way to go for B2C.

It's no longer about who is better, but what works best depending on specific online applications.

izopod

Level 8
Legacy Platinum Member
Reaction score
Originally posted by Whois-Search
.us in Amercia only

Yes, this statement is true. After all it is a ccTLD reserved for the United States. That is not a negative either. ccTLD's are on the rise in their respective countries. As far as the "marketability" of the dot us name, it's very marketable. We have a very large population who frequent the internet often. :D That translates into a large buying market. My guess is .us will be very popular (in time). So to answer the question of the original poster. Dot us is a safe bet.

The Dot biz gTLD is NOT good for "reselling" for the simple fact it isn't allowed. It is a VERY good domain if you own "core" biz names (generic/specific/non-plural), and plan to use them. In time they will be seen as go to "e-biz" sites. After you build your "biz" you can then sell the name w/ the business. Bar none this is the way to go if you plan to make money at "reselling". That is true with all names IMHO.

izopod

zoltan

Level 3
Legacy Gold Member
Reaction score
biz is better than us. :) Check my signature. I'm very proud of the biz domain I have.

izopod

Level 8
Legacy Platinum Member
Reaction score
...oops I hit quote instead of 'edit' :laugh:

EM @MAJ.com

Visit MAJ.com for domain forsale.
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
I'll use one of my .biz soon ... to join the party.

tw

Dale Hubbard

Formerly 'aZooZa'
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
I agree with Duke. Duke, do you realise that our paths have crossed before? PM me if you don't remember! Best wishes.

Status
Not open for further replies.

The Rule #1

Do not insult any other member. Be polite and do business. Thank you!

Sedo - it.com Premiums

IT.com

Premium Members

AucDom
UKBackorder
Be a Squirrel
MariaBuy

New Threads

Our Mods' Businesses

UrlPick.com
URL Shortener

*the exceptional businesses of our esteemed moderators