Enjoy unlimited access to all forum features for FREE! Optional upgrade available for extra perks.
NDD Camp 2024

Use your real name

Status
Not open for further replies.

Honan

Level 9
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
In the thread about the recent TRAFFIC conference, both Mike of fab and Adam of DNF admitted meeting people and not remembering their handles here.
Why do we use handles here anyway?
It is just a legacy from old boards isn't it?
In an attempt to encourage the use of real names, I suggest that the charge of $10 for changing name be dropped for those who wish to change their handle to their real name
Trading under real names would appear to me to enhance the reputation of the forum
Hands up if you agree?
Hands down if you use a fake whois

Upvote 0

tekz999

Level 10
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
Sure, I will agree if you want to change to your real name, then the charge be dropped. But if you want to change to another username, then the charge applies. Thats fair.

Biggie

DNForum Moderator
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
The suggestion is a good one......perhaps administration will take this under consideration!

stuff

Mr Domeen
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
My first and family name have together 18 letter`s thats:
XXXXXXXX XXXXXXXXXX

A D

Level 14
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
JOEMART said:
In the thread about the recent TRAFFIC conference, both Mike of fab and Adam of DNF admitted meeting people and not remembering their handles here.
Why do we use handles here anyway?
It is just a legacy from old boards isn't it?
In an attempt to encourage the use of real names, I suggest that the charge of $10 for changing name be dropped for those who wish to change their handle to their real name
Trading under real names would appear to me to enhance the reputation of the forum
Hands up if you agree?
Hands down if you use a fake whois

I agree with this, I was thinking even first name last initial would be good but we may have too many John R. to do this. So maybe full name will be in order.

On a board where we do business, I would prefer to know someones name rather than a handle like 'catpuke'. ( just an example ). I think the siganture could reflect the personality not the username.

I will be looking into this suggestion this week.

-=ADAM=- ;)

Anthony Ng

@Nameslave
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
I agree with Joe and Adam. I have no problem using my firstnamelastname as username; actually those who have bought or sold domains with me know my real name. And to be frank, how can you *trust* someone whose only piece of information you know is a nic handle?

Honan

Level 9
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
nameslave said:
I agree with Joe and Adam. I have no problem using my firstnamelastname as username; actually those who have bought or sold domains with me know my real name. And to be frank, how can you *trust* someone whose only piece of information you know is a nic handle?
You can trust catpuke
I will vouch for him

mark

Exclusive Lifetime Member
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
Adam: Or an alternative might be to allow people to continue to use whatever handle they have, but make their real name mandatory in the public profile section.

katherine

Country hopper
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
I'm an undercover agent :laugh:

KwelX

The Godfather
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
ok..i agree where there needs to be a real name attached to the people on dnf however i do have a special attachment to my handle "KwelX" and many others may be attached to thiers too.

my suggestion would be to allow free changes of the "user title" to first and last name instead to things like "Godfather" etc. where mods and admins could have (mods) or (admin) after thier name.

or even a 3rd custom title that dnf only has just for real names :)

GiantDomains

President
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
You can make the Real Name box manditory in the profile. People will still put fake names, even if they are prompted to put real names, there is no stopping it. So instead of catpuke, you'll have JohnReilly, when the name is not.

dodo1

DNF Addict
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
I understand that many users would like to keep their current usernames (I like mine as well), but I personally would prefer to know the real names of all other DNF members, too. I have seen that the new user profile has a field where you can enter your full name, so wouldn't it be possible to show this name next to the members' posts (i.e. under their handles)? That way people will have the possibility to use both their real name and their forum handle.

On the other hand, some people will try to use faked names... what about that?

Anthony Ng

@Nameslave
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
dodo1 said:
On the other hand, some people will try to use faked names... what about that?
Perhaps we could have something like PayPal's verified membership. By using a real name that matches with whois, either registrant or admin contact, one becomes a verified member. Of course, those who prefer to uses fake whois can still fool around and gossip but risk having fewer people to do business with.

Leading Names

DNF Addict
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
I like my username, wouldn't want to change it.

I have no objections to my personal name being compulsory elsewhere, either as part of my profile or possibly...

<--- here

Shaggy

DNF Addict
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
How about under your user name, replacing or moving the text underneath it now.

A D

Level 14
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
We could replace the useless user titles with real names.
Or add another field under them with the real name so it would look like this.

DotComGod
Administrator
Adam Dicker

Just a thought.

-=DCG=-

Status
Not open for further replies.

The Rule #1

Do not insult any other member. Be polite and do business. Thank you!

Sedo - it.com Premiums

IT.com

Premium Members

AucDom
UKBackorder
Be a Squirrel
MariaBuy

Our Mods' Businesses

URL Shortener
UrlPick.com

*the exceptional businesses of our esteemed moderators

Top Bottom