Enjoy unlimited access to all forum features for FREE! Optional upgrade available for extra perks.
NDD Camp 2024

Use your real name

Status
Not open for further replies.

Honan

Level 9
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
In the thread about the recent TRAFFIC conference, both Mike of fab and Adam of DNF admitted meeting people and not remembering their handles here.
Why do we use handles here anyway?
It is just a legacy from old boards isn't it?
In an attempt to encourage the use of real names, I suggest that the charge of $10 for changing name be dropped for those who wish to change their handle to their real name
Trading under real names would appear to me to enhance the reputation of the forum
Hands up if you agree?
Hands down if you use a fake whois

Upvote 0

Jonathan

DNF Addict
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
I'm really not interested in having my real name attached to every single post that I make. Yeah, people can find it if they want to do internet detective work and I'm not really trying to hide it, but that doesn't mean that I want everybody who searches my full name to find DNF.

I don't go to conferences, and if people don't want to do biz with me, no problem. :) But hey, I'm one of few who actually does use his first name. :)

Leading Names

DNF Addict
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
DotComGod said:
We could replace the useless user titles with real names.
Or add another field under them with the real name so it would look like this.

DotComGod
Administrator
Adam Dicker

Just a thought.

-=DCG=-

Sounds good to me. I think title and real name should be switched though, like this...

DotComGod
Adam Dicker
Administrator

- Rob

simon

Senior Exclusive Member
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
Yea this one sounds plausible.
looking forward to it

A D

Level 14
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
Leading Names said:
Sounds good to me. I think title and real name should be switched though, like this...

DotComGod
Adam Dicker
Administrator

- Rob

Agreed.

-=DCG=-

keyser

Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
Jonathan said:
I'm really not interested in having my real name attached to every single post that I make. Yeah, people can find it if they want to do internet detective work and I'm not really trying to hide it, but that doesn't mean that I want everybody who searches my full name to find DNF.

I don't go to conferences, and if people don't want to do biz with me, no problem. :) But hey, I'm one of few who actually does use his first name. :)

+1 :approve:

A D

Level 14
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
Colbert said:
+1 :approve:

Seems this may be a split decision and not the obvious choice Joe or I thought it was.

-=DCG=-

Honan

Level 9
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
DotComGod said:
I agree with this, I was thinking even first name last initial would be good but we may have too many John R. to do this. So maybe full name will be in order.

On a board where we do business, I would prefer to know someones name rather than a handle like 'catpuke'. ( just an example ). I think the siganture could reflect the personality not the username.

I will be looking into this suggestion this week.

-=ADAM=- ;)
Actually, you will find there are a few people here with the same full names.
That's what happens in real life meeting places like "work" or the "club" and they work it out between themselves as to what they will be known as.
Some people in real life also prefer to use a fake name for whatever reason.
That's fine too, because you will associate what that person writes with the name they use when meeting in person or on the phone.
So IMHO, all you, Adam, have to do is to have an amnesty on the $10 handle change charge for a "one time only " change and it should steamroll from there.
At the end of a couple of weeks , surely we will find
:more than a few posting under their real names,
:a few who have taken the oppportunity to change to a different nickname
:a few who have changed to a fake full name
:a lot of people who choose to not take up the offer to change their handle at all

The disadvatanges
:You lost a bit of short term revenue
:You had to get one of your programmers to implement it

The advantages
: You can remember people's names, normally a fairly important thing in the business world .
: The forum stands out from all others as a place where real peple do real business in a real industry

Shaggy

DNF Addict
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
Yes that is what i was thinking DCG. :eek:k:

Well it doesn't have to be your full name, just your first and even your first intial of your last name.

Leading Names

DNF Addict
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
DotComGod said:
We could replace the useless user titles with real names.
Or add another field under them with the real name so it would look like this.

DotComGod
Administrator
Adam Dicker

Just a thought.

-=DCG=-

Maybe do this but make it optional?

- Rob

dodo1

DNF Addict
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
JOEMART said:
The forum stands out from all others as a place where real peple do real business in a real industry
That's the most important reason for having real names implemented to the forum. If you do business with somebody you want to know his/her real name.

As said before, I like the format as also suggested by Adam, because this way members can use their real names and they can go on using their forum handles.

Limit$

Level 7
Legacy Gold Member
Reaction score
My name is 19 letters. So using my full name for my username might be a little annoying to type.

I would do the title change. That's a good idea.

GodBlessYou

Level 7
Legacy Platinum Member
Reaction score
This sounds a little different, why doesnt someone pm you if your so worried about someones real name? I dont want my name in public whatsoever, privacy problem here.

GiantDomains

President
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
Even if it's done, what's to stop people from putting fake names? It would take to much time to verify everyone, but maybe members can ask to be verified and receive a golden seal in their postbit that says "verified" under a field that says the name. Like NS said, basically. All others can choose to not put anything so there are not fake names, but they are not verified.

JuniperPark

Level 9
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
If we're transitioning to a professional forum, I like the idea of either real names OR business/dba names OR Website URLs where we sell domain names. That's 3 options for most of us.

While we're on it, the avatars need some rules. How does it look to new people and/or the investor community when many of the avatars are cartoons or photos of celebrities stolen (used without permission, most likely), animations of a pet urinating, and so on. I think either a real photo of the account owner or their company logo should be there.

GiantDomains said:
Even if it's done, what's to stop people from putting fake names? It would take to much time to verify everyone, but maybe members can ask to be verified and receive a golden seal in their postbit that says "verified" under a field that says the name. Like NS said, basically. All others can choose to not put anything so there are not fake names, but they are not verified.

Most fraud is from people with "privacy concerns" or using fake information. I do not even accept offers from people who don't give complete information, and as a result have very few problems with fraud. I also am far less likely to buy names here from people whith nothing in their profile, and I NEVER buy a name while the WHOIS identity protection turned on. I just don't have time to deal with people playing games; they're not celebrities, they're people hiding from something.

Of course there will be those who give fake info, but that's what the "people to avoid dealing with" sections are all about.

Fake Information /

Jonathan

DNF Addict
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
"Real" info might be good because JuniperPark has made baseless accusations in the past. I was accused on DNF by him of ripping people off because I happened to sell an overture script at one point. He'd been ripped off on another forum, so he accused me of this... even though, he never saw my overture script, and the Paypal name and email address from the other individual were completely unrelated to anything that had to do with me.

Having factual information would be good because JP is worthless as an internet detective.

JuniperPark

Level 9
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
Jonathan said:
"Real" info might be good because JuniperPark has made baseless accusations in the past. I was accused on DNF by him of ripping people off because I happened to sell an overture script at one point. He'd been ripped off on another forum, so he accused me of this... even though, he never saw my overture script, and the Paypal name and email address from the other individual were completely unrelated to anything that had to do with me.

Having factual information would be good because JP is worthless as an internet detective.

Gee... you're selling the same script a ripoff artist used, your username is generic, and your avatar is an photo that I seriously doubt you own the rights to. I wonder how THAT mistake could have happened??

Thank you for helping me make my point.

Jonathan

DNF Addict
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
JuniperPark said:
Gee... you're selling the same script a ripoff artist used,.
Let me quote you...
BEWARE OF THIS SELLER!

He represented to me via PM at another forum that the SQL version would run on my MS SQL 2000 server, and that it would run on "any dedicated server", and that I could "try" it. It does not, and apparently this sellers definition of "try" means "I will keep your money no matter what". I paid $25, he's "offered" a 50% refund on software that simply does not work on my system.

A formal complaint has been filed against his PayPal account.

-----------------------------------
Details of Disputed Transaction
-----------------------------------

Transaction Date: Sep 26, 2005
Transaction Amount: -$25.00 USD
Transaction ID: 96C50594H76956310
Case Number: PP-108-320-811
Seller's Name: gil
Seller's Email: [email protected]
Too bad the script that I had has nothing to do with SQL. It doesn't even require a database and nowhere in the thread where I was selling the script did I say otherwise. You refer to the SQL version, as if there were more than one version, but I was only selling one version.

You just handled it really poorly when you got scammed by someone else.

Sorry for bringing it up again, dodo1. I just dislike JP and his stealing celebrity images statement bothered me, since he's trying to pass himself off as some sort of glowing model member here or something. I'm done now.

I have no problem if real names were required.. but I'm not interested in my name being used for SEO purposes. They should be viewable by sellers/buyers here only.

JuniperPark

Level 9
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
dodo1 said:
Jonathan, JP, back to topic please.

Actually this IS part on the topic, and a valid purpose for using real names. The above situation is another real-life example of why it's needed.

Status
Not open for further replies.

The Rule #1

Do not insult any other member. Be polite and do business. Thank you!

Sedo - it.com Premiums

IT.com

Premium Members

AucDom
UKBackorder
Be a Squirrel
MariaBuy

Our Mods' Businesses

URL Shortener
UrlPick.com

*the exceptional businesses of our esteemed moderators

Top Bottom