Enjoy unlimited access to all forum features for FREE! Optional upgrade available for extra perks.
Domain summit 2024

Use your real name

Status
Not open for further replies.

Honan

Level 9
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
In the thread about the recent TRAFFIC conference, both Mike of fab and Adam of DNF admitted meeting people and not remembering their handles here.
Why do we use handles here anyway?
It is just a legacy from old boards isn't it?
In an attempt to encourage the use of real names, I suggest that the charge of $10 for changing name be dropped for those who wish to change their handle to their real name
Trading under real names would appear to me to enhance the reputation of the forum
Hands up if you agree?
Hands down if you use a fake whois

Upvote 0

Chelsea

Level 7
Legacy Platinum Member
Reaction score
I dislike the idea of having my real name spread over the net. I don´t mind any kind of verification, but prefer to have a username that I want.
A little bit of privacy, please.

mark

Exclusive Lifetime Member
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
Exactly nameslave. I think the whois verification idea would be good and create the least amount of resistance/reluctance from those not wanting to provide photo id, credit card data, etc. If used, Adam would have to disclose that was the extent of the verification to minimize liability to him/company etc. which could potentially occur in the case of fraud by a "verified" member.
To recap all/some of the combined good suggestions from everyone:

1. Real name mandatory in the profile section
2. Verification of real name by whois on one or more domains owned by a member by dnforum staff at a nominal fee if necessary to cover costs
3. Disclosure of real name in profile section required to be a
"verified" member but format to include public or private option to display to non members
4. Verification of real name is optional for members
5. Continued use of existing handle in forum posts to allow for familiarity
6. The subtitle "verified" under handle name in public posts or in profile section only if applicable

TheLegendaryJP

Level 9
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
I say sure, why not ? I mean as stated if someone wants your real name and address here they can get it. I think it would be a positive thing. JMO

muzie

DNF Member
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
Good summation of ideas to use mark. I like the idea of verification and have no problem with disclosure to those I interact with. We usually end up being on a first name basis after doing business a few times anyway. I just want a little privacy, or at least the illusion of it and point 3 addresses that. I would not stop interacting with non-verified members, but it might make me more cautious and that’s a good thing.

Honan

Level 9
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
GT Web said:
My solution is simple:

1) Give users 2 weeks to change their username for free, allowing whoever wishes to change it to their real name

2) Give users 2 weeks to change their user title for free, allowing whoever wishes to change it to their real name

I don't really want to change my user name, but agree we should integrate our real names more. I would gladly change my user title to my real name, but currently it costs a pretty penny.
Excellent idea
Other advantages to your idea
Re : 1. Real names for the username without a space between first and last to prevent google searching
Re : 2. Real names in the title with a space if desired

Jacksplat

No time to chit-chat
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
I feel actual names are appropriate in places where trading is frequent, such as dnf. To me coming here is a business and nothing should be hidden. I certainly agree with an ID that cant be changed and verification is mandatory by either drivers liscence or citizenship card/passport etc..

People do get banned, suspended and let back in only so they can prey again.
If the names were taken more seriously, I'd feel more secure.

Kevin.

Source

DNF Addict
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
Some of us like our anonymity and would like to keep our real names private.

When the time comes to reveal our real names in a transaction that's fine under the covenant of a contract / non-disclosure between the buyer and the seller.

As for posts on the board, make it at least optional. You have many members that paid $400+ and may wish to keep their names private for obvious reasons such as ID theft.

If real names became mandatory, I for one would want to leave the board and ask that all my posts be removed. Yes, my privacy is that important to me. Others will think the same thing.

Hence, I believe this is a notoriously BAD idea.

Honan

Level 9
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
Market said:
Some of us like our anonymity and would like to keep our real names private.

When the time comes to reveal our real names in a transaction that's fine under the covenant of a contract / non-disclosure between the buyer and the seller.

As for posts on the board, make it at least optional. You have many members that paid $400+ and may wish to keep their names private for obvious reasons such as ID theft.

If real names became mandatory, I for one would want to leave the board and ask that all my posts be removed. Yes, my privacy is that important to me. Others will think the same thing.

Hence, I believe this is a notoriously BAD idea.

Who suggested real names become mandatory?
My suggestion was that Adam waive the $10 name change fee in order to encourage people to use their real names as handles.
"A notoriously BAD idea" ?
Yeah whatever.
I asked why we are using handles?
It is clear to me now that some people have become attached to their handles and others require privacy

A D

Level 14
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
JOEMART said:
Who suggested real names become mandatory?
My suggestion was that Adam waive the $10 name change fee in order to encourage people to use their real names as handles.
"A notoriously BAD idea" ?
Yeah whatever.
I asked why we are using handles?
It is clear to me now that some people have become attached to their handles and others require privacy

Why people say they want privacy and then list a signature with a name in it with real whois is beyond me. Takes 3 secs to get that info if anyone with eyes looks.

Clearly this system will be for those who want it, not those who don't. Those who wish to remain in utter privacy can continue to do that, cause that's what most professional businesses prefer. ;)

-=DCG=-

SouthernTn

Level 8
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
DotComGod said:
cause that's what most professional businesses prefer. ;)

-=DCG=-

<------- Professional Business, :charming:

I have no problem putting my first name though, since people know some of my domains, they'll find my last.. but

If its on the forum and I hit the Tennessee Lottery for 300 Million, word gets out and my pm box would be filled with websites and domains for sale from people trying to sale for 15 times the yearly profit trying to make it rich .. one way of looking at it haha

Source

DNF Addict
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
DotComGod said:
Why people say they want privacy and then list a signature with a name in it with real whois is beyond me. Takes 3 secs to get that info if anyone with eyes looks.

Clearly this system will be for those who want it, not those who don't. Those who wish to remain in utter privacy can continue to do that, cause that's what most professional businesses prefer. ;)

-=DCG=-

I have been thinking about this for the past several hours. Why not go all the way and optionally "certify" the ids of those desiring it with a special designation or icon. It could live with the user info on the post or by adding a column in the thread listing (like this: http://forums.slickdeals.net/forumdisplay.php?sduid=0&f=9 ) showing a small "certified" icon. The proprietors of DNForum would control certification, governance, and management.

Just an idea.

Jonathan

DNF Addict
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
I think there is a big difference in having your info in your whois, and having your complete name showing up on thousands of pages from DNF in Google. I think that's what people really are against, not so much the verification.

Dynamic1

Level 5
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
chase said:
I dislike the idea of having my real name spread over the net. I don´t mind any kind of verification, but prefer to have a username that I want.
A little bit of privacy, please.
Same here altough Whois has my name but if its on this Forum anyone who knows me and does a google search for my name this will probally be on the first page. Not really a big deal but it could be for people who sell big money domains.

Jonathan

DNF Addict
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
MrDude said:
I would love to know your name..even your firstname
Sorry, that's personal information that I won't share with anyone. :laugh:

Status
Not open for further replies.

The Rule #1

Do not insult any other member. Be polite and do business. Thank you!

Sedo - it.com Premiums

IT.com

Premium Members

AucDom
UKBackorder
Be a Squirrel
MariaBuy

Our Mods' Businesses

URL Shortener
UrlPick.com

*the exceptional businesses of our esteemed moderators

Top Bottom