Enjoy unlimited access to all forum features for FREE! Optional upgrade available for extra perks.
Domain summit 2024

fabulous Using Fabulous from the U.S. - communications, account management

This is a discussion about the domain name register/company Fabulous.
Status
Not open for further replies.

scanreg

Level 1
Legacy Platinum Member
Reaction score
I'm from the States and am considering Fabulous to be the registrar for a few of my critical domains, not a reseller, not a ton of domains, just a few

The critical things are:

1. Domain lockdown - like forget it for accidental or unwanted domain transfer, really bulletproof domain protection - things like email validation for any critical changes (in case bad guy gets in, can't just transfer away) - maybe additional layers of security

2. Super reliable - super important

3. Customer service - someone is around in case of issues - do they Skype for instance?

When it comes to these few critical domains, I must admit I operate in paranoid mode. I'm concerned about having a registrar that is outside the States, not questioning the integrity of the service at all, it's just a worry being so far away (not e-distance, but who can help if things go wrong?)

I also read about the takeover attempts, which worries me cuz you never know how things will be affected

I've considered Moniker but I've read mixed reviews of their service lately. I gotta feel confident about a place.

I've also read of a "hard lockdown" type of service offered by Register.com. It's not mentioned on their site but apparently it's something that they can enable internally.

Any thoughts?

What is your experience from the States?

Super thanks :)

whitebark

Level 9
Legacy Platinum Member
Reaction score
This North American highly recommends Fabulous.com. I always get a friendly and timely response to any support questions - which are few and far in-between because they do their jobs right before problems arise.

As for security - it doesn't get any better than there. They have multiple security layers including phone calls/security codes and challenge questions which can be set per domain. I cannot ever remember reading anything about domains being pilfered from there - much unlike godaddy et al.

AND their domain parking pays very well for North American traffic...

scanreg

Level 1
Legacy Platinum Member
Reaction score

Do they have skype? (for calls from U.S.)

Do they require email validation before making any significant account changes like passwords and registrant email address?

I'd like to create an account to see the admin tool but I'm not finding where on the site to create one, seems you need to submit for an invitation instead. I think they also have a min of 750 domains or $750.00/month portfolio revenue. I think that means that they would not want my account, which would be just a handful of domains (like 5 domains total) that would not generate any portfolio money (just point to ecommerce sites)

Thanks for the link:

http://acro.net/blog/2010/04/19/review-of-the-fabulous-fob-just-how-secure-can-your-domains-be/

The FOB hardware security thing seems nice but I'd worry about the FOB getting corrupted or lost

Last edited:

katherine

Country hopper
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
In fact, I would often feel safer using a non-US registrar (hello Kentucky :) Hello Cuba :) etc)
The US is a sue-happy nation, litigation is more likely to occur there than down under.
I would recommend Fabulous too.

Last edited:

scanreg

Level 1
Legacy Platinum Member
Reaction score
If they would allow an account with just a few domains, I really might do it

Thanks

Mike Robertson

DNF Member
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
Hi scanreg,

I'll do my best to address all your issues below:

The critical things are:

1. Domain lockdown - like forget it for accidental or unwanted domain transfer, really bulletproof domain protection - things like email validation for any critical changes (in case bad guy gets in, can't just transfer away) - maybe additional layers of security
We offer a number of different security options, both domain and account level. More details below:

E-lock: effectively freezes a domain's registry settings, and can only be removed by Fabulous management after any special conditions specified by the client have been fulfilled.
Challenge/Response Questions: a security mechanism that allows you to supply the answers to a preset list of questions, in order to verify the identity of a user before they can access these sensitive areas of your account.
Fabulous Security key: an innovative USB device that provides additional levels of security to sensitive areas of your account.

More information on our Additional Security options can be found here.

2. Super reliable - super important
I can assure you we are very reliable, we've been in business for over 10 years now and are regarded as one of the "domainer" friendly registrars.

3. Customer service - someone is around in case of issues - do they Skype for instance?
As others have commented already in this thread, we offer superior customer service and can be contacted either phone or email. Because I have a lot of communication with customers on a day to day basis, I do use MSN and Skype if people want to reach me. But unfortunately the general support team don't.

I also read about the takeover attempts, which worries me cuz you never know how things will be affected
We were actually bought out at the beginning of the year by a Sydney company. We still have the same Management in place as we did prior to the purchase and are running the business as per usual. I'm happy to discuss privately if you have any specific questions or concerns about this matter.

I'd like to create an account to see the admin tool...
You can sign up using this link. If you want to send me a PM or email (mike at fabulous dot com) I can see if I can pull a few strings to get you approved. ;)

The FOB hardware security thing seems nice but I'd worry about the FOB getting corrupted or lost
We have a process in place to address this issue, so there's no need to worry if you lose your Key or it gets corrupted.

If I missed anything, or if you have any additional questions or concerns, let me know.

Also, big thanks to Acro, whitebark and katherine for your recommendations - greatly appreciated!

Cheers,

Mike
Fabulous.com

Theo

Account Terminated
Reaction score
Mike, not to mention that in the event of a nuclear war, Australia will be the only safe place to be.

So you might be dead but your domains will be safe :D

scanreg

Level 1
Legacy Platinum Member
Reaction score
Hi Mike

Thanks super much for your very detailed replies, really appreciate it, glad to hear about the FOB cuz it does sound like a great way to secure things

I went to the link you mentioned and it says the following at the top:

• Domain portfolio must generate US$750+ per month
  • Transfer 750+ domains to Fabulous
I would really only be transferring in a handful of domains, like 5, the reason is for the security.

Do you think Fabulous would still consider my account?

If yes, then what do you think the per-domain renewal rate would be?

Again, thanks so much :)

Mike Robertson

DNF Member
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
Mike, not to mention that in the event of a nuclear war, Australia will be the only safe place to be.

So you might be dead but your domains will be safe :D

Let's hope we don't have to test your theory Acro!

Just to echo the above..

Fabulous rocks!

Good to have your support south!

Do you think Fabulous would still consider my account?

If yes, then what do you think the per-domain renewal rate would be?

If you can send me an email or PM with your list of domains, I can review for eligibility. Our pricing tiers can be found here.

Cheers,

Mike
Fabulous.com

Status
Not open for further replies.

The Rule #1

Do not insult any other member. Be polite and do business. Thank you!

Sedo - it.com Premiums

IT.com

Premium Members

AucDom
UKBackorder
Be a Squirrel
MariaBuy

Our Mods' Businesses

UrlPick.com
URL Shortener

*the exceptional businesses of our esteemed moderators

Top Bottom