Enjoy unlimited access to all forum features for FREE! Optional upgrade available for extra perks.
NDD Camp 2024

What Google thinks about India and Hindi!!

Status
Not open for further replies.

drbiohealth

Level 4
Legacy Platinum Member
Reaction score
Mr Schmidt, however, did predict that the world’s biggest internet market would not be China, but India in “about five or ten years from now based on current trends” and said that he believed that Hindi could become one of the world’s three internet languages in conjunction with English and Chinese. China’s development, by implication, will be held back by political factors.

http://www.timesonline.co.uk/article/0,,5-2192644,00.html

acronym007

Thankful!
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
While China may be held back by politics, India is lagging in overall development. India needs major infrastructure upgrades, maybe even more than 10 years out. Even our call centers had problems with voice communications. Voice communications is most basic. So, the language might become popular but the infrastructure to keep pace with the rest of the world. Just some thoughts to temper reality. Cheers.

Acro

BostonDomainer

Level 8
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
Google is wrong again just like there move on Froogle.com.... while Hindy is a beautiful language, it will not be amongst the 3 domineering internet languages in the world.... for that you have to look towards the Asian Tigers.... for Google to make such a statement shows how much they've been using their Googlarized softwares for decision making and leaving PhyscX alone...... China's politics will have no interferance with Global Intergaration and I don't mean 'little' but 'no' interferance......Yahoo and Google et al have already sold oul.... India is what China was 6 years ago.... Google needs a new long term planner of which I offer my services..... Page and what's his name need to get some more interaction between them and slow down a bit.... the world is BIGGER then Google!!!!!

drbiohealth

Level 4
Legacy Platinum Member
Reaction score
acronym007 said:
While China may be held back by politics, India is lagging in overall development. India needs major infrastructure upgrades, maybe even more than 10 years out. Even our call centers had problems with voice communications. Voice communications is most basic. So, the language might become popular but the infrastructure to keep pace with the rest of the world. Just some thoughts to temper reality. Cheers.

Acro

What you say is probably true today! Infrastructure development in a country like India would certainly involve huge labour pains due to the sheer size involved. It would be unfair to expect changes of such magnitude to happen overnight. However, development there is moving at a warp speed. My guess is that within next 5 years you can hope to have a world class voice reception in your call center. This should give you a preview of what lies ahead,

http://mmadan.wordpress.com/2006/06/07/iht-ibm-indian-business-machines-in-huge-india-investment/

j-milan said:
Google is wrong again just like there move on Froogle.com.... while Hindy is a beautiful language, it will not be amongst the 3 domineering internet languages in the world.... for that you have to look towards the Asian Tigers.... for Google to make such a statement shows how much they've been using their Googlarized softwares for decision making and leaving PhyscX alone...... China's politics will have no interferance with Global Intergaration and I don't mean 'little' but 'no' interferance......Yahoo and Google et al have already sold oul.... India is what China was 6 years ago.... Google needs a new long term planner of which I offer my services..... Page and what's his name need to get some more interaction between them and slow down a bit.... the world is BIGGER then Google!!!!!

Well, anybody can fail anytime. However, this is not the issue here. What you have highlighted is totally based on conjecture, while what Google says may well be the result of some analysis done on their "proprietary data". Therefore, Google's model stands a higher chance of success compared to yours. Moreover, the localisation efforts currently being undertaken in India by big companies (such as, Microsoft, Intel, Disney and others) are also somewhat in line with Google's view.

They say, big companies "generally" don't take decisions randomly as most individuals do.

Cheers!

cooljeba

Level 6
Legacy Platinum Member
Reaction score
India's growth rate is phenomenal.. and it is growing everyday.. it is matter of time when India will be top 5. Yes it has the potential to be in top 5.
The education is also picking up.. an educated person in India can speak up to 3-4 languages fluently!!
We are ahead of china because we indians can speak better english than them.

What's pulling down india is curropt politics.. politicians swallow money.. curropt police!!
Make these 2 things alright and I bet with in 5 years we will be one of the leading country both economically and politically!!

I didn't want to raise this issue but.. thanks to our neighbouring countries India is always under constant threat!! we all know which country I am talking about!

..:: peace ::..
Jeba

NavySeals91

DNF Addict
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
The third most spoken language on the web will not be indian but Arabic.

ErikW

Legacy Platinum Member
Reaction score
What about Spanish?
A language with alot of native speakers (more then English?)
Those country's having Spanish as a native language are growing just like india and china...

Statistics

I think development of country's all over the world will be fast, you can't just say that the country where development speed looks best now, will be the same country next year (or even next month?)...

simon

Senior Exclusive Member
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
cooljeba said:
We are ahead of china because we indians can speak better english than them.

Jeba

a poor argument i would say.
In most of the European countries people hardly speak english. So does that mean that they are not developed.

denny007

Level 9
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
we indians can speak better english than them

You kidding, right ? When I talk with Chinese people in english, I can pretty well understand them. When I talk with Indians in english, it usually ends up with "Please write me an email, I do not understand what you are saying". When I call an India-outsourced support and I hear that "unique" Indian accent, I am immediately hanging up.

cooljeba

Level 6
Legacy Platinum Member
Reaction score
simon said:
a poor argument i would say.
In most of the European countries people hardly speak english. So does that mean that they are not developed.

i was talking when India and China are compared.
Also the comparision was in Information Technology.
India is ahead of China in software field.. but china leads when it comes to hardware field.

There are lots of call centers here in India.. U.S prefers to outsource it to India rather than china.

denny007 said:
When I call an India-outsourced support and I hear that "unique" Indian accent, I am immediately hanging up.
We Indians speak British English.

And you say chinese speak better english ? lol.. I bet you have not heard them talking.

guys I guess you give this a read.

Also I wanted to clear this.. I am not saying India is a developed nation challenging the U.S. What I am saying is "we Indians have what it takes to reach there."

we are moving one step at a time.. let us compare India and Singapore for a moment and see why Singapore is much more developed than India?
well the fact is "Defence". India has to spend a fortune for defence.. but singapore is backed up the U.S.
There are are so many negative elements around India.. singapore has none!! so singapore can concetrate much better on the development than India.
Believe it or not.. there is a very good concentration of Indians living in Singapore!! So the problem is not with we Indian it is the situation we are in and we are growing as a country.

Jeba

Jeba

denny007

Level 9
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
We Indians speak British English

Yeah, right...

Apple, Dell and a lot of other companies are switching customer support back to the USA because customer complain they do not understand that accent.

Google something like "dell india support", "india support accent" etc. and read what the US customer think about it...

cooljeba

Level 6
Legacy Platinum Member
Reaction score
denny007 said:
We Indians speak British English

Yeah, right...

I hope you know.. english is mainly divided into two types

US English and British Engish..

and I meant we indians speak British English

Jeba

denny007

Level 9
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
cooljeba said:
I hope you know.. english is mainly divided into two types

US English and British Engish..

and I meant we indians speak British English

But you do NOT. Indian speaks kinda "Indian english"

British and American english is very much alike - some word differences and British has British accent, which Americans understand and actually find kinda "sexy". But Americans DO understand it 100%. They however do NOT understand the "Indian english" - Google some forums what customers have to says:
http://www.tuaw.com/2006/06/04/apple-drops-plans-for-india-support-center/
http://news.zdnet.co.uk/business/employment/0,39020648,39150648,00.htm
And thousands more...

Shark

DNF Member
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
denny007 said:
But you do NOT. Indian speaks kinda "Indian english"

British and American english is very much alike - some word differences and British has British accent, which Americans understand and actually find kinda "sexy". But Americans DO understand it 100%. They however do NOT understand the "Indian english" - Google some forums what customers have to says:
http://www.tuaw.com/2006/06/04/apple-drops-plans-for-india-support-center/
http://news.zdnet.co.uk/business/employment/0,39020648,39150648,00.htm
And thousands more...

Wow.. You seem to have lotsa facts wrong.

Indian English is based on British English coz British were in India till 1947. And English education was based on theirs, and we're following their stuff til date. Probably you need to look into History books.

Oh, well I know Americans have a dislike towards Indians.. lol.. all coz they're being bangalored.. Not only call centers.. Many software companies get their work done from India.. not from China or anywhere else..!:fencing:

Keep your pre-conceived notions aside before you talk on something!

cooljeba

Level 6
Legacy Platinum Member
Reaction score
denny007 said:
Anyways Apple computers don't sell here.. they have way too poor market when compared to the regular Windows based PC.
denny007 said:
if you read this article it is clearly mentioned it is not the poor quality or horrible english that is forcing them to do this but because of the number of calls comings in are way too much to be handled..
Code:
Dell CIO Randy Mott said the Bangalore centre was unable to deal satisfactorily with the volume of calls generated by the rapid growth of those product lines.

Some more for your reference..
World's youngest chief executive officer (CEO) of a software consultancy.
http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/world/south_asia/3270999.stm
I know this guy personally!!

India accelerates economic growth
http://news.bbc.co.uk/2/hi/business/5033764.stm

Intel to relocate staffers from US to Bangalore
http://www.zdnetindia.com/news/national/stories/34518.html

list never ends...

Jeba

thinkingsmall

Level 3
Legacy Platinum Member
Reaction score
there is nothing wrong with a little bit of corruption... it is part of nature's formula

sundaybluez

Level 4
Legacy Platinum Member
Reaction score
Sorry to reply to such a dead post BUT it was needful to correct.

Talking about accent; everyone carries an accent let it be from any country ISN'T IT?
French speak English in their own accent.... don't they...
English is used as a common language and to understand each others and to communicate for global business.

More importantly me as an Indian see many of US or for that mark many other European nationals talking absolutely rubbish English grammatically but one definitely needs to understand that you need to accept each other the way there are and to understand each other rather than looking at things just to make a point.

You develop an accent only being in a particular region which is nothing special!
Apart from the fact that you understand a Chinese speaking English then you really are been gifted with some special and extra ordinary skills as the English what Chinese speak & the Chinese accent what they carry makes it very tough to understand what they talk of...

Note: I am not trying to talk any wrong of Chinese but yes as everyone they have their own accent & we need to respect them :)

Status
Not open for further replies.

The Rule #1

Do not insult any other member. Be polite and do business. Thank you!

Sedo - it.com Premiums

IT.com

Premium Members

AucDom
UKBackorder
Be a Squirrel
MariaBuy

Our Mods' Businesses

UrlPick.com
URL Shortener

*the exceptional businesses of our esteemed moderators

Top Bottom