Enjoy unlimited access to all forum features for FREE! Optional upgrade available for extra perks.
Domain summit 2024

moniker What Happened to Moniker? HORRIBLE, UNETHICAL Policy & Customer Service Experience

This is a discussion about the domain name register/company Moniker.
Status
Not open for further replies.

zenmarketing

Level 2
Legacy Platinum Member
Reaction score
Background:

I am an old-school domainer, registered my first domain in the 90's. Started using Moniker in 2006, back when Monte Cahn was still running things. Had hundreds of domains with them over the years.

I was recently consolidating my portfolio and realized I still have one (fairly important) domain name with Moniker. Wanted to get access to my account and transfer it out, but no longer have access to the email address on the Moniker file. (Note: the WHOIS information is perfectly up to date, and I have access to the WHOIS email address and phone number, which matches my state issued photo ID exactly as well)

As I am talking to the girl on the phone to get access to the domain, she is incredibly rude. First of all, she is mumbling to me and making no sense. Then she starts telling me about an "official policy" that said I had to deposit $50 to Moniker in order to get access to my domain name (which is paid up 10 years in advance). I told her that was ridiculous and probably against ICANN rules, and she started a FIGHT with me about it. It was a 15-minute order with "checking with her manager" and her acting like she was doing me a favor, to not charge me $50 to access my own domain! I have no desire to register another domain with Moniker, ever.

It seems outrageous to me, when I said that the whois information is perfectly up to date and accurate, that they were attempting to limit my access to my own domain name and compel me to deposit $50! She said this was a RULE. Someone ignorant about ICANN and registrar-to-registrar transfer requirements would have no idea about this, and be scammed out of $50. HOW UNETHICAL.

What happened to Moniker? When they merged with Snapnames, did they just go down the tubes or what? I really can't believe this treatment. Are any serious domainers still using Moniker?

The worst part of all of this, was how the customer service person treated me like I was an idiot, and a fool. I was just too dumb to understand that this $50 fee is "necessary". That was her attitude. How outrageous.

Thanks for letting me vent.

Any more Moniker horror stories?

Joe

Domain summit 2024

Biggie

DNForum Moderator
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score

dotDan

Level 4
Legacy Platinum Member
Reaction score
I've been using Moniker for years.. recently, I went to do a bulk nameserver update, and it failed for one domain. Took their support -two weeks- to manually change it for me. It's terrible.

Michel32

Level 4
Legacy Platinum Member
Reaction score
Moniker suspended most of my non prescription pharmacy related domains based on a Legit Script complaint (they sent me the email below), I highly recommend that you transfer all your pharmacy related domains to a registrar that ignores all legit script complaints, for example http://www.cndomainsite.com ignores all legit script complaints and they also offer free whois privacy protection.

"Moniker has recently engaged Legit Script as a 3rd party auditor in order to locate domains involved in the illegal online sale of drugs without a prescription and/or the sale of unapproved or falsified medicines."

DomainsInc

Level 8
Legacy Platinum Member
Reaction score
this is from when they locked everyones account because of some security breach. if you didn't have access to the email for the account on file, they wanted to you to pay $50 to access it (which defeats the point of locking all accounts).

i had an issue with moniker a few months ago. i had a domain i was going to let expire, after it expired someone had filed a udrp on it. so what does moniker do? they take it out of my account and use their own funds to renew it since you can't udrp an expired domain. that really pissed me off since i had no interest in renewing it.

ikehook

Level 1
Legacy Platinum Member
Reaction score
Can anyone help me unlock a domain on Moniker? I've tried to unlock a name to transfer it out but I can't click the button. I tried to transfer it out and it says failed because its locked. I tried calling 4 different phone numbers, the two 1-800 numbers don't connect and the Florida numbers connect but when I push 1 for support it disconnects. I tried this a couple weeks ago and had to submit a support ticket. Their first response was to "unlock" the domain. When I told them it wouldn't unlock they gave no explanation how to do it, they just unlocked in manually. So do I need to submit multiple support tickets every time I sell a domain, just to get it unlocked? Please help me if I'm missing something. Either way dealing with them has been horrible.

Thanks

Martij

Level 3
Legacy Platinum Member
Reaction score
I will have someone take a look at this issue right away and update you. Please email me directly at martij@corp.moniker.com or send a private message.

We are experiencing an issue with our phone vendor this afternoon. They are working to resolve the issue.

I will make sure that you're issue is resolved if you'll let me know the details.

Best Regards,
Marti

Can anyone help me unlock a domain on Moniker? I've tried to unlock a name to transfer it out but I can't click the button. I tried to transfer it out and it says failed because its locked. I tried calling 4 different phone numbers, the two 1-800 numbers don't connect and the Florida numbers connect but when I push 1 for support it disconnects. I tried this a couple weeks ago and had to submit a support ticket. Their first response was to "unlock" the domain. When I told them it wouldn't unlock they gave no explanation how to do it, they just unlocked in manually. So do I need to submit multiple support tickets every time I sell a domain, just to get it unlocked? Please help me if I'm missing something. Either way dealing with them has been horrible.

Thanks

ikehook

Level 1
Legacy Platinum Member
Reaction score
Thanks Marti, I appreciate it

domainoid

Level 6
Legacy Platinum Member
Reaction score
hello martij -

i have noticed you've taken responsibility on behalf of moniker for problems when it has been at fault in the past-
and you have tried to resolve moniker issues out in the open on dnf and this has not gone unnoticed by dnf members
so rather than pm'ing members with problems why doesn't moniker resolve issues and answer questions right on the thread so we can all learn what to do :)

please go to this thread below and others in the moniker section and take a look at what moniker is putting all its customers through since your website changed
that would be much appreciated as no one from moniker has come forward and addressed any of these issues

http://dnforum.com/threads/new-monikers-system.525987/page-6

Jacksplat

No time to chit-chat
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
Before the user interface went upside down I had a domain expiring soon, after the switch the domain expired and was unrecoverable. whatthefuckever.

I had an escrow I just had to accept for 5k, and the frikin system went down so they could apparently change their UI to some walt Disney themed POS. Now We gotta start over at escrow.com. Like I got this time to waste in my life. Also the risk for the buyer changing their minds on the sale cuz of the stupid nuisance.

I left an email to support to change my email for contact 3-4 weeks ago, still no answer. Its obvious I don't matter after 10 years of loyalty.

The old system was great and easy to manage, easy to understand which domains were close to expiry. No rainbow flags.

And I don't give a phuck who the CEO is in the sig of every email. I just want to manage my shite without the ghey crap.

And my old user id is so short... now they wanna replace my short number to some other number I cant remember.

screw it all... I used to love moniker with monte and don. I'm not sure yet where I'll move my domains but it will be happening very soon.

I'm nervous ... I think some domains can disappear. who are these strange people who have to buy an existing registrar to build their business presence. I better take a snapshot of my domains...

Gonna miss Don and Monte... they actually stood up for people with multiple domains. I'm nervous with this new group. Already lost one domain which they will be selling to benefit themselves.

domainoid

Level 6
Legacy Platinum Member
Reaction score
new interface stinks and i wonder why bother changing it for the worse. not that they had a good one before to begin with. many of my domains got unlocked for no reason, had been like that since the change took place, until i was able to log in and see all this mess. and i had a renewal done right away and they took money from my cash balance for that
- when i had set my main credit card as the default payment and i never use my cash for this. now i have to fund my account again to keep same level.

not a bad idea to take a snapshot of your portfolio so if any domains go missing you have proof.
now snap is no longer linked to moniker so maybe i'll try snap again. and just who came up with this re-design? even if it worked fine it is ugly as hell! lmao

who is don lol? had heard about monte and when he was boss there and all things were running just fine.

Status
Not open for further replies.

The Rule #1

Do not insult any other member. Be polite and do business. Thank you!

Sedo - it.com Premiums

IT.com

Premium Members

AucDom
UKBackorder
Be a Squirrel
MariaBuy

New Threads

Our Mods' Businesses

UrlPick.com
Free QR Code Generator by MerchArts

*the exceptional businesses of our esteemed moderators